Thread: Texas Specials / Telecaster

Texas Specials / Telecaster

This is my first post here in quite some time

I have an 80's Rosewood Tele RI that i bought used a few years ago. I like the actual tone of my pickups but they are so noisy it drives me crazy.

I want QUIET pick ups but I'd like a little more punch if I'm going to change them out.

So what's the consensus, are the Texas Specials considered reasonably quiet?

Thanks

Re: Texas Specials / Telecaster

Singles are never death quiet, the Broadcaster sett wil be a very nice replacement and easaly found! If there is a lott of noise and the sound is OK, I would check the ground wires if they are propperly soldered and ground well to the Bridge and Strings.

Only way to get true quiet is to go with a stack pickup. Some people do not like these, but i have had good luck with several makers

They won't be any quieter.

Thanks guys, I'll check all my connections and I think I'll try a shielding kit too.

I had a weak moment on eBay and sprung for a set of Texas Specials, a new pick guard and a roll of shielding tape. I wil be replacing my pickups and shielding the guitar at the same time.

I have never had a Tele apart before so is there any tips I should be aware of on a Tele that's unique? Or other Telel pick up tips?

Thanks folks....

IMHO doing a shield job kills some of the life out of a guitar if you play low gain.

Twist the pickup wires to keep down noise.

If you do shield the cavities, ground it at a single point.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    IMHO doing a shield job kills some of the life out of a guitar if you play low gain.

Yes I will, and thanks for your input.

Forum Member

Hi, i would seriously look at the Kinman pups, absoloutly quiet and a sweeter sound but still plenty of bite, dont worry about the price, check out his website and sound files.

The Kinmans are a good suggestion on the face of things but I've been rather dissappointed with their aftersales support... and the shielding kit can rob you of top end... in fact I've done it once and also had several guitars with that horrible shielding paint on the cavity... disconnected the ground wire (to the paint) and hey presto...

I'd concur with Kap's suggestion of twisting the wires... having only just sorted out my '05 USA Std I can tell you it's quiet (enough) and has no shielding at all (apart from me when I'm touching the strings)...

It well might be worth looking at your whole rig... especially your cabling... I've gone over to Chord Company 'Cream' cables and they are incredible... so good that I just don't want to put anything else in between my guitar and amp (ie pedals)... they're not cheap but less expensive than Mogami platinum or Monster and better... the next step is getting another to go from guitar to pedalboard and using the one I have from pedalboard to amp... then of course there'll be the obligatory interconnects on the board itself but... amongst other things in their construction, the screen is only attached at one end; with one of a twisted pair of conductors making the circuit complete... really does cut the capacitance... the difference is incredible... and length (within reason) doesn't seem to make much - if any - difference
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post

What he said.

And the Fender custom shop Nocaster set would be a significant upgrade from the originals for the same cost as the Texas Specials. The TS set doesn't sound like a Tele to me. The Nocaster has the Telly sound. The Abigails sound really good if you can find the signed versions. I think those are the best Fender made pickups I have ever heard. Next best are the John Cruz designed pickups. The Cruz are very hard to find without buying a guitar to get them. I know a few guys who have done just that!

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    the Fender custom shop Nocaster set would be a significant upgrade from the originals for the same cost as the Texas Specials. The TS set doesn't sound like a Tele to me.
    I second that... a lot of Tele pickups these days don't sound Tele pickups... quite often there is no copper plated steel base plate etc... I put up with the neck pickup on my '05 USA Std because... well... it sounds OK... does what I need it to do and as I don't use that guitar for any high gain stuff and use mainly the neck P/U on it anyway... it gets the job done nicely... sure if you get enough gain on it it'll squeal but I don't know of many that don't... and I've long been happy with my Bulldog Vintage T bridge pickup... Hayden does a great job of getting that job right... great detail in his craftmanship...

Ralph (our guy in Germany) has had many Nocasters over the years and they all sound great... so maybe that's the route to take... good luck with your quest!!
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

No to Texas Specials - lots of better sounding pickups for the money like others have mentioned...

Fender Gold Lace Sensors are pretty cool and have a unique sound. Not sure if you can make 'em work in a traditional Tele configuration.

There are a few fans of the Fender Noisless PU around these parts...

Quote Originally Posted by yankeerob View Post

Ralph (our guy in Germany) has had many Nocasters over the years and they all sound great... so maybe that's the route to take... good luck with your quest!!
    @ yr Do you mean Ralph @ Tonehunter??
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

No - it's Ralph at Guitars-A-Go-Go... he looks after our website...

10-4 fellow expat.....
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Forum Member

I have a US 52 reissue Tele with Texas specials and it just sings with sweet majic ,love them they really rock !!!

Another vote for Nocasters--they brought my already good AmStd to greatness. It's my main Fender now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison