Thread: Do you play flats?

Gravity Jim

Do you play flats?

Installing a set of D'addario Chromes flat-wounds on a guitar has been a revelation, and convinced me that I really want to try a set of flats on my MIA P-Bass Deluxe.

If you play flat-wounds on your bass, what kind do you use and why? I could use some opinions to help make a better decision. SOme of these things cost 60 bucks a set, and I don't want to screw it up at those prices.

Re: Do you play flats?

I use Daddario Chromes flatwounds on my P Bass for all the reasons you like them on your cool new guitar. I use them on my L-4c 'cause they give a wide flat response with a soft roll off of treble noise leaving the lower notes clear and well defined.

On the bass they go from deep thunderous bottom without all that midrangy "shimmer" that fights with the guitars to that cool McCartney-esque "thud" that can sing along a nice counterpoint. Very warm for finger-style playing.

I like the brand and I put them on all of my guitars/basses/mandos, etc.

Gravity Jim

I'm certainly leaning toward the Chromes, because the guitar versions sound so great on the cool new guitar. One bass player I know said they were too "high tension" for him, preferring the much-praised and pricey TI's, but I checked D'addario's website and found the Chromes are slightly lower tension than the XL's I'm playing now.

Man, I'm enjoying them so much I'm about ready to string my Strat with 'em.

Fender 9120 Nylon Tapewound Bass Strings

They're $20 a set.

Black - the color of evil.

Very easy on the fingers.

Probably the closest you could get to an upright bass sound out of an electric. I've got them on my Squier fretless Jazz bass. Really love 'em. I'm pretty sure Frank Johnson recommended them to me. Excellent strings.
    s'all goof.

curtis- Did you have an opportunity to notice whether your pickups have any trouble "hearing" tapewounds versus something like Chromes or stock roundwound strings?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I put Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Jazz bass almost 10 years ago and still love them. I haven't tried others in many years, though.
    To me, flats are the sound of a bass (plus they're easier on my soft, guitarist fingers!).

Good question, NeoFauve. I was worried about that before I tried them. I was also pretty concerned about buzzing since there's no conductivity between the bridge and the strings.

I'm happy to report that neither is a problem - with a couple caveats.

I think the output might be a little lower, but it's nothing unmanageable. It may also be that the tone of the strings is much darker than a more standard bass string that it comes across as slightly softer. But really, this isn't a problem.

When I decided to put the flatwounds on my Squier, I also did some other work on it. I shielded the control cavity, changed out one of the volume pots for a blend pot, and replaced the remaining volume and tone pots with better quality pots. I also replaced the cap and the input jack. Kept the pickups - they sounds very good.

So, that shielding has (hopefully) had a positive influence on taming the humming. It really hasn't been noticeable at all. Now, I play at very tame volumes in my church's band. It's under a bunch of flourescent lights, though. I haven't played the bass anywhere other than at church and at home. No humming issues at all. It's actually a very quiet instrument, the strings nonwithstanding.

Give 'em a try! Only $20 a set. Great, great strings. I won't go back.
    s'all goof.

The ball ends contact the bridge enough for string grounding, IIRC. I have not used those strings in years.

Funny - I have -

Chromes on a J Bass - love em
    TI's on Jag, P Bass, and a Jazz
    fender Flats on a PJ
    Fender 9120s on a jazz - Active
    and a set of Chromes I will be putting on the P Dlx.

All sound, feel good and have no issues.
    I did have grounding issues on two basses with the 9120s, but LOVE them. They are one of my favorite strings and sounds.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Thanks for that rundown, curtis.

At some point, I'll be taking posession of a MIM Std Jazz from my buddy. He has tapewounds on it, and with the price of most bass strings, I didn't relish having to replace them.
    What you describe sounds pretty right up my alley.
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Thanks for that rundown, curtis.

At some point, I'll be taking posession of a MIM Std Jazz from my buddy. He has tapewounds on it, and with the price of most bass strings, I didn't relish having to replace them.
    What you describe sounds pretty right up my alley.
    Neo - I have a couple of clips that are my favorite - playing the 9120s.... Shoot me an email I will send you the clip - Strut - with a long instrumental opening - at a jam - completely unrehearsed - so be gentle on my sorry azz!
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Frank, thanks for the round-up. That's very helpful. Do you feel a difference in tension between the TIs and the Chromes?

I've been a D'addario "endorser" for most of my life... tried everything, like them best always. I'll likely go for the Chromes.

Yes -
    In my opinion -

9120s - least tension, followed my TI's then Chromes, and then Fenders...I have the older fenders - I understand that the newer ones are a lot like chromes, wound at the same plant. I think they are still wound with the fender materials? I really don't know - I will also send you the clip - I don't know how to post it.....
    Kenny Belmont

Also -

I hadn't thought about it - but the videos we have up on you tube have some of this too - but the sound isn't great. You can check them out if you want - maybe they help -??

Bad JuJu
    "Its Good For Your Soul"

Myspace - www.myspace.com/badjujublues

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/badjuju.blues

Youtube Demos of what you might see at a Bad JuJu Show!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M39_X3L_JGk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDC0LPiqYE

RoadHouse Blues Jam Video At Darlenes - Sudlersville Crossroads! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZIoB...layer_embedded
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Thanks for the clip, Frank... I can hear the low tension and the no-metal sound for sure.

For the sake of versatility, I think I'm gonna try the D'addario's first. They're slightly lower tension then the XL's, but still enough to "rawk" if need be. If they feel too stiff, I'll likely try a set of TI's next, but I expect the Chromes to be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post
    Thanks for the clip, Frank... I can hear the low tension and the no-metal sound for sure.

For the sake of versatility, I think I'm gonna try the D'addario's first. They're slightly lower tension then the XL's, but still enough to "rawk" if need be. If they feel too stiff, I'll likely try a set of TI's next, but I expect the Chromes to be fine.
    Go with the XL - the meds are WAY too heavy and stiff.

I have a set of chromes on that I used when i played the Jams with David Bromberg - they get gigged 1-2 times a month - and still sound good like 5 years later. I have 6-7 basses still - and rotate them. They all sound good, and the P Dlx, gets the least play time, because I hate he snappy - lively rounds. I love that bass, but need to go flats on it too. They just fit me better.

BTW - My TI's are 3, 4 and 5 years old now - just broken in I think!
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Yep: the regular lights (.045 on top, .100 on the bottom) is what I'm playing now, and they feel fine.

This instrument hasn't been set-up in, like 7 years, so it's probably about time to take a look at that, too. :)

After reading curtis' post I googled "tapewound bass strings," and forund this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6lb...&tracker=False

Different brand but it gives me a general idea that I'll like nylon tapewounds just fine. I might eventually change to Chromes, but it won't be a must right off the bat.
    Elvis Costello

Most of these have flats of some type -

I want to try LaBellas some day

But for slapping some nice fat round bottom.....

I LOVE THIS!!!

(heh heh heh)

Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Frank, I have an MIA P-Deluxe like yours, only mine is Shoreline Gold with a maple board. Schweet.

After some consideration, I've decided to go with the Thomastik-Infelds. 15 bucks more than the D'addario's but some players I trust have said the difference in feel is worth it. Since they last 10 years or more, the price difference is negligible.

The TI's will not disappoint.

I had the 9120s on that bass for a while Jim - loved them!

As for the TI's - I have found them for $50 shipped.....let me know - I will see if I can find the link?

There - sorry it took me so long
    http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_J...ngs-JF344.aspx
    Price match to MF or similar for free shipping?

Vs
    http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...101646.product

This is how it will sound once you get them on - and stretched in
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

Order placed. That place is less than a day's drive from me, too, so shipping will be quick. The strings are backordered but coming in middle of next week, so for the price I can wait.

I have flats on one of my Jazz basses...sometimes I prefer that bass over the others.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Frank, I have an MIA P-Deluxe like yours, only mine is Shoreline Gold with a maple board. Schweet.

After some consideration, I've decided to go with the Thomastik-Infelds. 15 bucks more than the D'addario's but some players I trust have said the difference in feel is worth it. Since they last 10 years or more, the price difference is negligible.

Good choice! Nearly every bass player who tries my Jazz Bass with TI flats has me put a set on their bass!

Gravity Jim

UPDATE: First Quality Music, while seemingly a nice bunch of folks and in my neighborhood (at least in UPS terms), told me they would get the TI strings in stock last week, but never did and were clearly not going to. So today I cancelled the order and found them for just a dollar more at JustStrings.com. They got shipped within an hour of placing the order and are on their way. This week for sure!

Wow! funny how that works - too bad they didn't come through. I used them a while back for some parts, no problem. I guess this wasn't one of their good customer service moments.

Just strings = good

sorry you had to wait so long on this J.!
    Kenny Belmont

Gravity Jim

They were okay, Frank... in fact, when I contacted them yesterday about it, they offered to cancel the order because the strings hadn't come in the expected shipment... I mean, it was their idea, which I appreciated. JustStrings really hopped on it, though... I had a "shipped" email from them an hour after I placed the order online.

Gravity Jim

Final: The TIs came in today's mail and I just installed them while watching the tube. They feel so nice just uncoiling them from the package... the quality is evident even before you put them on.

They came up to pitch and held it with almost no stretching. Intonation was amazingly perfect, the best I've ever had on a bass. The nice red silk wrap at the head end is just a visual bonus.

Playing them is phenomenal. The tone is more full-range than rounds, with no loss of highs as predicted... the only thing missing is fret rattle and finger scrape. The sustain is amazing, and the low tension is so comfortable that you can do guitar-style finger vibrato effortlessly.

I wish I'd done this years ago. Flats rule, and I can't imagine they could get any better than TIs.

GHS Brite Flats for me.
    I can't even read notes. But I can teach someone how to make a guitar smoke.
    ~Ace Frehley

The sustain is amazing, and the low tension is so comfortable that you can do guitar-style finger vibrato effortlessly.

I wish I'd done this years ago. Flats rule, and I can't imagine they could get any better than TIs.
    Heh heh heh......welcome to the dark side!
    Kenny Belmont