Thread: Pot/cap values for SD Quarter Pounders?

Forum Member

Pot/cap values for SD Quarter Pounders?

I've decided to go with a set of SSL-4s, but I'm not sure what pot values I should use. At around 13K ohms, these have the output of a hot humbucker and conventional wisdom tells me to go with a 500K ohm volume pot for a higher resonant peak, but I'm not sure that will be ideal and I don't know what values to go with for the rest of the circuit. Anybody have enough experience with these to guide me in the right direction? Also looking for any insight with respect to a tone cap value and an ideal treble bleed circuit. Thanks!

Re: Pot/cap values for SD Quarter Pounders?

i'd try the stock (i'm guessing here) 250k pots and see what happens. i've used 1/4 pounders in the past have had good luck with that. you can go to 500k, but that usually ends up with a too bright sound to my ears. as for tone caps, well, again i'd stick with stock. for the treble bleed, there are so many out there... i don't really care for them as i rarely roll that knob down, i just pick softer.

really, i'd just wire the pup in and listen to it, and then tweak from there.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Pot/cap values for SD Quarter Pounders?

Go with stock pots for now. Skip the treble bleed cap and attach the tone cap's lead to the jack tab on the volume pot. You'll get most of the good affect of a treble bleed cap w/o the negative effect.