Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sansamp Character Pedals - To Go Ampless or Not...

Re: Sansamp Character Pedals - To Go Ampless or Not...

I fugured after all I've said in this thread, I have to say that I am looking forward to the outdoor fairs and festivals this summer when I will be using my amps. The Sansamps are great tools, especially for smaller gigs, but I am looking forward to letting the soundman do his job.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Last night, I played my first show since last November or October using my amp rather than the Sansamp. I've had months to get used to going direct and I was not sure what to expect because it had been so long. The amp was like an old friend and TO ME it was something I really missed. In all practicality, I don't think anyone in the audience could tell much of a difference. I'm thinking the guitar was a bit fatter with the amp, but then again, it may have been that I have had gotten used to the full range monitors. At the very least, if I use my amp, I know that if something goes wrong, I have a very capable backup. I also know that I can go direct in places where volume control is of utmost importance. Another good useful tool....
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

TFF Stage Crew

Agree completely Concert; I think you nailed it. The audience very likely can't tell, but it means something to the player which can translate to better playing IMO. And I too love having that backup of the Sansamp right in my gig-bag if something goes wrong with the amp. Best of both worlds.

8 months of gigging ampless and not missing a thing. One month of coming back to the amp and I am hooked. I'll try it again in a few months, but for now I am back in my comfort zone and I am loving it. The whole band feels liberated.

I just got me a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. Blisss! Also sounds great with a guitar. Early 70's Rolling Stones all the way! The Ampeg head and cab are staying home now. The VT sounds great going straight into the JamHub. Plus, now my whole gear fits in my gig bag.
    Listen to The Best of Fools on
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/16/437517/Artist/437517/Artist/link
    & on Facebook

I can see why you did that. I am using my amp, but I could go either way and be happy. I really hate the V-Drums....

I have an old Tri-OD
    Love it
    Plenty of character
    + delay and chorus and I'm good to go
    Stratocaster-ghettoblaster
    www.MySpace.com/EdMcLaughlin

Well, another one of those threads that make you go....

Here's a case where a guy used an inexpensive setup ( a pedal!) and it wasn't the same as an amp... so all modeling sucks.

I'll repeat that I can sound and play better with my modeling rig in most situations but - it costs a lot more than an amp. It's a lot more to carry and it's heavy stuff.

For small gigs or just for fun, sure, I'll grab an amp. But if need power and flexibility and juicy sounds, I need more.

But please, do not play a POD, a SansAmp, or a Boss GT hobby-type system and make overarching statements about modeling.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

This is an older thread that got resurrected. I've moved along in my thinking too - it's worth it to me to be comfortable on the gig and having my amp there does that for me, just like it did for Concert...but I do have a modeler, in case I need it. I've no doubt I could get through a gig with it if need be.

There are at least two issues in play here...First is the "can I do it?" issue, and most of us seem to agree that you can, whatever that means to you...the other is "do I prefer it?" and that answer is, for most of us, "no." Another issue that occurs to me is the question of monitoring...if you don't have good monitoring, you're gonna be stuck with an uncomfortable situation no matter what...

Chuck, I'd love to see how your Fractal rig would work out in the context of a Crossfyre show...as for me, the Sansamp character pedals from the original post are nice - very nice - but ultimately I don't think I would want to spend $300 for a pair of them to make it work for me.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Chuck, not everybody wants or needs a computer in their guitar rig.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    That is the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post

Chuck, I'd love to see how your Fractal rig would work out in the context of a Crossfyre show...
    It kicks ass, but it would be pretty big sounding. Your 20 Watts vs my 3000 might not be a fair fight LOL!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Oh, I'm up to 40 watts now...if I bring my Tweaker 15 AND my AC15 AND my pair of Marshalls. :) And I could bring my trusty old Pathfinder Reverb and bump it way the hell up to 55 watts! A wall of small amps!

A revived thread!

OK, so I am now, after over 60 gigs with her, ready to post my extended review of the SansAmp Blonde.

I love this thing! No, it is not my DRRI, but using it as my clean base for my pedals works beautifully. I have received numerous compliments from other guitarists about my tone and some have hung out until after the show because they simply MUST know how I'm getting my sound. They poke around searching for an amp and I take great delight in showing them my rig. They are always shocked that I have achieved a damn fine tone with a simple pedal and I've had more than a few write down what's on my board; some have even take pictures with their phone.

When I play at home and fire up the DRRI, I miss the sound of natural compression and the clean sounds are far superior to anything the Blonde can deliver. So of course my tubey amps sound great and I love them, but the Blonde is consistent gig after gig, venue after venue. Monitoring is much easier too. It takes up much less space than a tube amp and makes set-up and breakdown very easy. My back thanks me as well.

For the record, my board has the following:

Korg PitchBlack tuner
    Analogman TS-9 (silver mod)
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone Clyde Standard
    Fulltone Choralflange
    MXR Cabon Copy (for slap-back)
    MXR Carbon Copy (for echo)
    SansAmp Blonde
    Radial DI
    Straight to the board

I must say, a year ago I would have balked at the idea of the Sansamp, now I'm a believer.
    Check out my band's stuff:

The BIG Coque Band's Facebook Page
    The BIG Coque Band's Youtube Page

"Follow your bliss"
    --Joseph Campbell

Gives a whole new meaning to backup amp.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Just looking at that thread makes me shudder and thank my lucky stars that the TFF has moderators and decorum and all that stuff.

I am partial to tube amps in the 15-20 watt category. I have only owned a Vox modeling amp and I will say I know it doesn't represent the better modeling units. I can say the weight is right for my back with the modelers.

I have gone back to my Mesa F-30 rig full time. The Sansamp is in the bag though.... I know it can and will do the job if called upon. As for the modelling amp part of the equation. I have a 50 watt Vox valvetronics. I use it for practicing and back yard jams type of stuff. It works well in that regard and is light weight to boot. I like my real amp and the Sansamp better for gigging.

Don't know if I have already said this.........slap me upside the head if I have.

I think modelers have come a long way.While I still can't hear the total sweetness of a good tube combo amp (or the 3 dimensional sound of a tweed),it has gotten so darn close that for the sake of mixing and load in/load out,why not.I have used the old discontinued J-Station for probably 7 years now on most of my soundclick jams,and onstage when no backline is wanted or needed;I just add a Behringer MIDI controller.
    I want to check out the Sansamp stuff again---I tried one before,and it didn't do much for me at the time (of course,I had a fine-tuned '59 Bassman onstage,so it wasn't fair.. ).It sounded kinda buzzy,but that was years ago.If all you guys say they are good,well...............I've always trusted your talents and ears!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Saw a band last weekend. I wouldn't have known it but they were totally Line 6 powered. Great sound out front through the P.A.

It's a couple of things. First, modeling is getting to the point that in a stage mix nobody can tell the difference between it and "the real thing" and second, the SRV boingy geezer blues band sound is finally dead (RIP!) and guitarists are once again looking for a sound that fits the song, not trying to force "tone" into it. Couldn't have come soon enough for my ears.

I agree, fortunate for me my time is much earlier than that and I listen to good internet radio. Although cutting on SRVs tone is pretty bush league IMHO.
    Last edited by thegeezer; 02-26-2012 at 07:18 AM.

I don't think that Chuck is cutting on SRVs tone so much as making a statement that there are/were so incredibly many imitators everywhere. You couldn't walk into a BBQ joint in town that had a band playing and not have to hear someone butcher the intro to Pride and Joy.

FWIW I love SRV tone - but it's not for me anymore.

And those individuals who think they're gonna get his tone by playing a Tube Screamer into a Deluxe Reverb are missing a very important part of the equation...he had that Dumble, and (at least in the earlier days) also ran some Marshalls in his wall 'o' amps. And, he didn't use the TS9 for overdrive so much as for a volume boost.

SRV's tone was on the end of his hand..........
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

True. And the pedals he used were more for accent than fundamental tone- for the most part.

I love his clean toned stuff the most anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I don't think that Chuck is cutting on SRVs tone so much as making a statement that there are/were so incredibly many imitators everywhere. You couldn't walk into a BBQ joint in town that had a band playing and not have to hear someone butcher the intro to Pride and Joy.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

But then, there is this one guy who follows me from thread to thread to personally attack me for eveything I post... he must have an extremely small penis!

Aww, Chuck...now you're just asking for it.

Are you always concerned with other men's penis size. and I am not stalking you why would I?

All right, let's all get along.

Somewhere along the line this devolved into an argument over what tone is good, subjectively, and what is not.

I'd like to bring it back around...

Who here has tried the Character pedals, and who has gigged 'em?
    We know that Concert has spent a year gigging ampless, only to go back.
    I personally bring a pair of amps on most gigs, and like having them. But recently, as part of a duo, I proved to myself that my Zoom G3 could be used as a viable Deluxe Reverb, complete with footswitchable reverb and tremolo, right into a small PA (the other member plays percussion and blues harp, of all things).

But I still like amps. And I still like pedals, and "real" sounds. But I'll use the tech on hand to achieve my goals.

FWIW, the Zoom isn't a magic bullet but it's a pretty nice tool, and my son uses it all the time...he keeps it in his room and I just use it on certain gigs...

So here's another question...

If one were to obtain one of the Sansamp Fender pedals (can't remember what it's called) what's to stop them from putting a reverb after it, right before the PA? Would that goof up the cabinet sim? Because, y'know, most people don't want reverb BEFORE the amp, unless it's being played clean. In other words, if I let my son keep the G3, then could I 'git 'r' done with a Sansamp and my NanoVerb?

Oh, and if I want a Deluxe Reverb, why wouldn't I just get one? LOL!Barring that, what about the Boss FDR1 Deluxe Reverb pedal?

A couple of months ago, I noticed my amp was cutting out. I wanted to get playing so I used my Sansamp and did the show with no issues. I got the amp home and pushed the tubes in and found a couple with loose. No issues since then. I still use my amp, but it is really nice to know the sansamp can pinch hit. My singer didn't even know I had switched.

I use my Bassdriver all the time! It does a convincing job of "tube amp" bass tones, plus has a great DI.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"