Thread: New MacBook Pro and latest version of Garageband

New MacBook Pro and latest version of Garageband

I've seen a few older threads on this, but I wanted to ask about the latest versions.

Is this setup good enough for me to dabble with recording? Can you recommend a good, though inexpensive, USB interface? I tried this with my PODxt last night and it seems to work fine but it would be nice to have a few less cables and bulk.

If I go ahead with this, I will probably get a firewire backup drive to save to (my iTunes directory already took up more than 1/2 of the 250gb hard drive!).

Re: New MacBook Pro and latest version of Garageband

As far as interfaces go the Tascam US-122L I used for a couple of years was decent enough, and I got it in a kit with a large diaphragm condenser for $200. They have discontinued it, and replaced it with the "122 mkII". For your macbook, I wonder how hard it is to install a new hd in one of those things (you may be concerned about warranty though, and I don't blame you).

125GB just isn't a lot to work with when recording music...my old drive (which I'm using right now) is only 160 GB, and it only took 2 years to fill it up to 150GB. I bought a back up drive, but I like the idea of having my stuff on the main drive as well as a backup so if one failed I don't lose everything.

The best interface, bar none, is the Apogee. It is so integrated into the MAC it works perfectly. Your GB will love it. You can thank me later.

Plus, sooner or later you will want to make the move from GB to Logic Express and then you'll really be glad you have the Apogee.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm pretty rusty on the current interfaces, but I'll definitely chime in and say that it's far preferable to have your laptop/puter drive handle the software reading while an External drive handles the recording/writing of data. Even with new-fangled highspeed processers this is a very data-intensive activity. You can end up with latency issues and other read/write choke points otherwise.

And you can never have too much storage. Juggling and storing very large .wav (or apple lossless) files as most DAWs use - especially with poor "housecleaning" habits, can burn through a fairly large harddrive in a hurry. I know, cuz I did it. It's a huge PITA to go back into all your old things to fix it later. The key is to not save every darn flubbed take and overdub attempt along the way. Once you've mixed and like the results, you should consolidate the parts of a track that you're using in the final and then toss the rest.

+1 on the apogee if I was doing it over again on a Mac.

Looks like I'll need to sell some gear

Or go cheaper on the interface. As far as I know, you're not likely to hear a lot of difference in the quality of the preamps and analog2digital converters in the interfaces under about $400 or so. They're all "Mexican Teles".

All the stuff I've read/heard indicates that the Apogee Duet sounds significantly better than almost anything else below pro-level.

Get the Mexican Tele and save Logic for later if you really get into it as an activity.

I definitely won't buy Logic Express at this point. I have to make sure that I enjoy doing this first. I was concerned about what the Apogee interfaces cost! In fact, I almost swallowed my gum over the cost of the Duet!
    Last edited by Don; 02-04-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Member

My experience has been with ProTools for the last 10 years, but everything I have read on recording basically says not to use the drive with the software on it to record your audio files to.

My main system is a MacPro with three drives, currently-the original 250G which has all of the software and an 80G that is used during recording with an additional 200G drive to store the completed sessions. Once they are finished they are archived onto DVD's as well as onto an external firewire 500G hard drive.

My Macbook Pro also has Protools, Garageband etc and when using it, I record onto an external firewire drive (500G and about $79). I would definitely recommend doing it this way as opposed to changing the internal hard drive. You are thus avoiding the conflict of trying to use the same drive for the software and the recording files. This also lets you access the audio files from any computer that has a copy of the original software used to record the tracks.

You can get a firewire or USB 2 drive for 100-150 bucks that will work just fine.

Most guys would never be able to hear the difference between the 150 dollar interfaces and the more expensive ones. Most of these will only do two tracks at a time. Watch ebay or craigslist for the Presonus Firepod which will bump you up to 10 for just a few hundred bucks.

Withou all of that, if you just want to record two at a time, the onboard converters are fine. Just use a mixer into the stereo minijack and have fun.

Garageband is way better than people give it credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    You can get a firewire or USB 2 drive for 100-150 bucks that will work just fine.

Most guys would never be able to hear the difference between the 150 dollar interfaces and the more expensive ones. Most of these will only do two tracks at a time. Watch ebay or craigslist for the Presonus Firepod which will bump you up to 10 for just a few hundred bucks.

Withou all of that, if you just want to record two at a time, the onboard converters are fine. Just use a mixer into the stereo minijack and have fun.

Garageband is way better than people give it credit for.
    It's good for recording, but doesn't allow you comp takes or bus, and that's the problem. It's a good way to get the basics down however.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    It's good for recording, but doesn't allow you comp takes or bus, and that's the problem. It's a good way to get the basics down however.
    There are ton of ways to compare takes. The buss thing is a drag. There are plenty of other time line issues as well, but overall, it's incredible powerful and can still do way more than what was available to the studios that recorded our favorite albums in the 60s and 70s.

We might be putting too much thought into this. I'm just an old blues hack who want's to record himself and maybe his harp playin'/singin' buddy with maybe some of my bad bass playing and a drum track in the background!
    Last edited by Don; 02-05-2011 at 05:43 PM.

In that case, the factory setup is great. A stereo mini-jack cable adapter from whatever your mixer outs out. Maybe two RCA in to the mini-jack.

Garageband has some great drums sounds.

This is all garageband 1 track at a time. Guitar and bass direct in. Drums and amps and vocal effects are all GB:

http://www.ewilkins.com/music/keepyourhotlegs.mp3

Loved your track Wilko....loved it.

Take care.....stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

I bought an Apogee Duet today (in fact, I'm listening to Wilko's track through it while I type this). It sounds awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    There are ton of ways to compare takes. The buss thing is a drag. There are plenty of other time line issues as well, but overall, it's incredible powerful and can still do way more than what was available to the studios that recorded our favorite albums in the 60s and 70s.
    OK, how do you comp takes in GB? Punch? Stretch? Maybe they've expanded it? What can it render into?

To compare takes, record a take (no need to "punch" that's the old tape paradigm).
    Duplicate track and record another.
    listen/alternate to the one you want using the mute or solo buttons. mix and match as wanted by using track volume levels or actually edit cut/paste. To get it you'd have to watch over my shoulder. There are about 10 ways to do it.

Exports to CD audio, AIFF, mp3 or open in Logic and make whatever files you want. Someone told me that ProTools will open them too, but I don't know that firsthand.

One thing about these programs is that I have seen experienced recording engineers miss is that some of the old ways of thinking just aren't needed anymore. It takes a whole new way of thinking that doesn't involve a lot of the old worry about signal to noise, phasing or track limitations, timeline stuff (it's non-linear!.

Forum Member

Pro Tools will import and convert to SD files, which is its format, from an audio CD, aiff, wav, mp3 and maybe some others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I was referring to opening the whole GB file with tracks and effects and all.

You can open them in logic, then Protools will take those.

You can also solo out each track, then import them (rendered) into Protools.

Another way to compare takes is to record a take, then record another on top of it, starting a little later. The old track will be "under" the new track. Drag the end of the first take to "expose" it and either drag the new track back, or use "command > Z" to undo and toggle back and forth.

Another way is to record a take, then drag it out of the way and record another, and another. You can have a whole series of them lined up along one or more tracks. Just slide 'em in and listen. Perfect if you aligned to your click, you can "snap to timeline" to keep them synced.