Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've had enough of this global warming!

Re: I've had enough of this global warming!

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Wow.

"fer fuck sake" and

Why is that tone necessary?

What tone? Don'cha know its a term of endearment here? I'm not implying anything eli if it offended you sorry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    What tone? Don'cha know its a term of endearment here? I'm not implying anything eli if it offended you sorry.
    I think it's usually a term of endearment. When it's accompanied by profanity, it becomes harder to believe it's meant endearingly.

But I accept your apology, Melody, and I appreciate your affection.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I don't know what the weather might be like when my kids get ready to retire.

But I do know it makes no sense for all of us humans to be running around burning up the finite non-renewable resources as fast as we possibly can. Makes no sense to me to be eating all the fish in the sea either. Or cutting down all the mahogany and rosewood. Or carving off the tops of coal-filled mountains and dumping them in streams. Or shooting all the tigers and elephants. Or making all the corn in the world dependent on a bucket of Roundup(tm). Or any other damn stupid thing someone (or, thanks to the Supreme Court, some corporation) might think of as their "given right" to gobble as they see fit. To me, someone's freedom and liberty extends only until it encroaches on mine.

And I must say the weather in Greenland a thousand years ago is no comfort to me as the problems mount.

Forum Member

More from that 6/2010 National Geographic Bill cited:

Cryoconite begins as airborne sediment spread over the ice by wind. It is composed of mineral dust sucked up from as far away as Central Asian deserts, particles from volcanic eruptions, and soot. The soot particles come from fires both natural and man-made, diesel engines, and coal-fired power plants. Cryoconite is not a new phenomenon: Arctic explorer Nils A. E. Nordenskjold discovered and named the fine brown silt during his visit to the Greenland ice sheet in 1870. Human activities have increased the amount of black soot in cryoconite since Nordenskjold's day, and global warming has given it new importance.

Carl Egede Boggild is a native Greenlander and geophysicist who has spent the past 28 years studying the ice sheet. Recently Boggild has focused on cryoconite. "Even though cryoconite is composed of less than 5 percent soot," he says, "it is the soot that causes it to turn black." The darkness decreases the albedo, or reflectivity, of the ice, which increases the absorption of heat; that in turn increases the amount of melting.

Snow falls each year on the ice sheet along with a dusting of cryoconite. As each year's snow cover hardens, it traps the dust. When summers are particularly warm, as they have been in recent years, multiple layers of ice melt, releasing extra amounts of trapped cryoconite, which creates a more concentrated, darker layer of the substance at the surface. "What we have is a vicious, constantly accelerating cycle," Boggild says. "It's like pulling a black curtain over the ice."
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

I don't doubt that the climate can change, and will continue to do so. I reject the idea that man can do anything about it one way or another.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I don't doubt that the climate can change, and will continue to do so. I reject the idea that man can do anything about it one way or another.
    But the very issue of National Geographic you told me to check out contains a very specific example (see above) of how man-made pollution is accelerating climate change.

Forum Member

Just a theory!

But I accept your apology, Melody, and I appreciate your affection.

Like Sage said earlier in the thread why bother...

Forum Member

Just a theory!
    So Nat. Geo. 6/2010 is a good enough source for you when you think it proves that Vikings grew grapes in Greenland 1,000 years ago -- but it's all just theory when the same magazine quotes a scientist who says soot is dark, darker things absorb more heat, and heat makes ice melt?

Okay. Fair enough.
    Last edited by elicross; 02-08-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

It's a fact that the Vikings were there, there is plenty of evidence, physical, and historical.
    The claim that the soot is man made is conjecture. If the soot warmed the place 1K years ago, where did it come from? If man is responsible for causing the earth, (and the other planets) to warm, with CO2 emissions, how was it done 1K years ago with no power plant emissions?
    Your 97 "scientists" can conjur all they want, but untill there is proof of their theories, I'm not changing my life and start riding a bicycle, or reading by candle light.

Forum Member

It's a fact that the Vikings were there, there is plenty of evidence, physical, and historical.
    The claim that the soot is man made is conjecture. If the soot warmed the place 1K years ago, where did it come from? If man is responsible for causing the earth, (and the other planets) to warm, with CO2 emissions, how was it done 1K years ago with no power plant emissions?
    You're arguing against a point no one is making. No one is saying "Man-made pollution is the sole cause of climate change today," so it's pointless to try and counter that by asking "How come climate changed happened before there were power plants?"

The contention is that climate change is happening more rapidly today, and that man-made pollution is a contributor to that.

And the article you asked me to check out contains a very specific example of how and why that's happening in Greenland.

Your 97 "scientists" can conjur all they want
    And you can continue pretending it's "97 scientists" instead of 97 percent of scientists all you want. Maybe you've honestly read it that way every time you've seen it. Some folks have a highly evolved ability to only see what they want to see....

Forum Member

Some folks have a highly evolved ability to only see what they want to see....
    I have noticed that from many of your posts, eli!

I know you are, but what am I.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Are you sure it isn't,
    IS TOO, IS NOT!
    IS TOO, IS NOT!
    IS TOO, IS NOT!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post

Yep.

Hey, kids, knock it off. I'm trying to think here.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Being paranoid does not exclude being actually followed.

Truly arrogant are he who does not doubt.

An arrogant paranoid will, hence, end up stabed in the back.

OK, scratch that last one. I think.

Now for something completely different. From past experience it will send ya all south in flames: I AM SKIPPING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, BUYING A SECOND CAR - even if it means New Orleans will be under 5 meters of water "next week". Why? Because I can. It's not illegal. I'm sick of stupid train passengers and incompetent train operators, so I WANT a second car. Yeah, it'll burn fuel, have spend lost of energy being manufactured and taken to my vicinity already, leave co2 and most likely end the world.

But I will profit.

Not joking.

Merely following.

You. Your lead.

Don't feel paranoid.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Forum Member

...whut?

It'll be a (tiny) Chevrolet :)

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    But I do know it makes no sense for all of us humans to be running around burning up the finite non-renewable resources as fast as we possibly can. Makes no sense to me to be eating all the fish in the sea either. Or cutting down all the mahogany and rosewood. Or carving off the tops of coal-filled mountains and dumping them in streams. Or shooting all the tigers and elephants. Or making all the corn in the world dependent on a bucket of Roundup(tm). Or any other damn stupid thing someone (or, thanks to the Supreme Court, some corporation) might think of as their "given right" to gobble as they see fit. To me, someone's freedom and liberty extends only until it encroaches on mine.
    Well put!

Seems like many just want to muddy up the waters in order to keep from changing anything now??

When your nation's economy is dependent on essentailly one product (petro), it's only reasonable to believe very bad things will happen when said product dwindles or runs out.

Oh, the pain is a coming....sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by mgade View Post
    .. some gibberish..
    ...whut?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgade View Post
    It'll be a (tiny) Chevrolet :)
    (OK, the first quote was a bit of a trick statement - too obvious I guess. I keep forgetting to keep my big mouth shut Sorry. Will go practice Shutmouthism some more). Interesting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post

This was directed at you eli you pompous ass always have to try to show the whole forum you are right shows your lack of maturity and major insecurity...

Forum Member

Wow. You're clearly very angry, Melody. I'm sorry to see that.

Wow. You're clearly very angry, Melody. I'm sorry to see that.

Not angry at all. Just sick of your bullshit...

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    This was directed at you eli you pompous ass always have to try to show the whole forum you are right shows your lack of maturity and major insecurity...
    TFF rules are clear Melody. No personal attacks. We've gone out of our way to leave this contentious thread open but this post is a deal breaker.