Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Older pick-ups sound better!

Re: Older pick-ups sound better!

I have sold magnets to countless pickup winders and have probably owned several hundred pickups from all different sources

(Yes BL is a customer too) It really comes down to if you like it keep it
    There is so much hyperbole in theory behind pickups and a TON of boutique winders out there too.

Gibson 1959 - 60 Double White PAF Pickup Set
    One set of original 1959-'60 double white PAF's (no covers included), pickups read 9.02K & 8.57K, adjustable pole piece screws are nickel, both pickups have long enough leads for either position in a Les Paul, I have owned this pair for the last 5 years and they are an oustanding sounding pair of pickups! Tons of harmonics and overtones and even though they're really hot there's plenty of top end, (some hot PAF's can really lack top end).

Ya gotta be friggin nuts to buy sumthin like this no matter how good they sound. I would take the $8,800 after buying a decent pair i and add on to our house first

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post

I've got a set of DiMarzio FS1s (3) from the late 70s that were in an 11+ pound '79 Strat I got from a co-worker. I confirmed the age of pickups with Larry DiMarzio and while doing so asked why I had two in 10K ohm range (IIRC) and one in the 8k range. He replied that it was probably the mags. He stated they were originally wound to 11k-12k.

I may play with them here shortly in the bridge of my next partscaster. I'd like to compare the two and listen for any diffs between the 10k and the 8k. I'm bettin' it's not audible but I'm still curious.
    Wow 10K .

I don't agree with Larry on the mags. I mean they probably where just under spec to begin with. My 83 Fender pups are 5.9K thats what they where in 83 as far as I know! I don't expect them to drop a K or two in the next 4 years LOL
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    This is from one of my former customers site he is a well respected pickup builder...

Pre-CBS 60s Strat®-style wind. Classic Strat tone with full body and punch. Overall tone has a prominent midrange, clear treble and a full bass that has a defined piano like attack. Scatter wound wax potted coils with Alnico 5 magnets degaussed to typical vintage 60s strat pickup specs. Medium output. Vintage style cloth covered lead wire. Middle is RWRP for humbucking operation in positions 2 and 4. Flatpole.
    Sounds like the same B.S. Seymour sprouted off about . Nothing new and don't mean a thing really. IMO
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

I like using outsourced newer pickups because they are built better

with over 30 years of playing and touring, I know what i like and I do know i cannot build them myself.

Most I replaced became old and microphonic or just did not sound good
    1) 1975 Gibson SG DiMarzio PAF Plus pickups I split the coils with a push/pull pot volume knob. Big beefy sound
    2) 1987 Gibson burst LP standard SD JB in lead DiMarzio PAF in rhythm JB sounds great Split coils for great single coil twang.
    3) 1988 LP Custom 3 pickup all stock
    4) 2004 Explorer stock pickups I think these may be ceramic magnet, put gold covers on them
    5) 2002 PRS CE-22 stock pickups (dragons I believe)
    6) 2004 72 RI Fender Thinline with humbuckers stock pickups they sound great!
    7) 1986 Esquire Custom SD Ľ lb pickups sound powerful and nice
    8) TC-90 SD s p-90 soapbars Sound great!!!
    9) 1997 Fender John Jorgensen Hellecaster custom made SD split coil design
    10) 1997 Jerry Donohugh signature Hellecaster Strat SD Alnico II Best strat pickups I own.
    11) 2001 AIMM USA special edition strat with 70’s overwound GFS pickups
    12) 2007 56 RI NOS custom shop strat with CS 50’S pups,
    13) 2007 Eric Johnson Strat stock pickups
    14) Gretsch Electromatic stock pickups small humbucker type
    15) Ibanez Sabre S470 stock pickups
    16) 1997 50’s classic series strat Duncan JB in bridge DiMarzio Class of 55 in middle Good rock strat
    17) Danelectrco SC-3 lipstick pickups stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Blues Breakers featuring Eric Clapton
    Duane Allman entire recorded output
    Every Mick Taylor-era Stones album
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
    Every Cream album
    Blind Faith
    Every Beatles record
    Layla
    Jeff Beck's Truth, Beck-Ola, Rough and Ready, etc.
    Led Zeppelin I, II, III and IV
    Every Jimi Hendrix record

All recorded with guitars that were at most fifteen years old. Most were done with guitars less than ten years old. Many were done with brand new guitars.

Going by that track record, nobody should buy an instrument made before 1996.
    Hey Kap - great point... I've always maintained that if you can't get a tune and/or tone out of a decent $200 guitar then... well... you're gonna need a better amp or a big box o' tricks...

Things I have discovered for very little dough are GFS pickups... love their 8K 'Pro-Tubes' lipstick in the neck position on a Strat or Tele... awesome deep cleans from a p/u that - unlike the vast majority of p/u's designed for the bridge position - when placed in the neck - still produce an unbelievably smooth and rich yet clean and clear 'metallic' alnico response... with more output... then all you need to find are the rest to go with it...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......