Thread: 2-point synchronized trem vs traditional 6 screw

Forum Member

2-point synchronized trem vs traditional 6 screw

All of the top brands, Fender, G&L, and Grosh, use 2-point trems by default. (Suhr is a custom shop, so they don't really have a "default.")

But I am struck that my favorite strat players: Blackmore, Gilmore, and Yngwie, all use traditional bridges. Even the '97 MIJ set neck signature Blackmore strat uses a traditional bridge.

I have not played on enough instruments to know whether all else being equal, the traditional bridge is better sounding.

If I got a strat clone with a 2 point trem, it would be either Gotoh or Wilkinson, so any comments about those two brands' synchronized trem in particular would be welcome.

I will say there is a huge difference in sound with a premium Floyd bridge and a low end knock off. But the good ones are massive and stiff feeling.

Re: 2-point synchronized trem vs traditional 6 screw

after having a few of each, I prefer the 2 point. I find they stay in tune slightly better when using the bar. I would not make a purchase decision on that alone
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

The two point is my choice. Honestly, I can't say I hear a difference, but it is more adjustable, stays in tune better ( and that's about the most important thing to me) and makes maintenance easier because you can simply lift it out with the strings attached to remove the guard. I own and have used the Wilkinson/Gotoh. It's a great unit, sounds OK, but after a while on one of my Strats I took it out and put the factory unit back in. I tired of all that mass. It just felt wrong. I like a Strat that feels and sounds like... a Strat. Go figure.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

+1
    I have both and hear no difference in tone which I believe is more governed by the block and bridge saddles. Tuning is more stable especially when using the tremolo.

I think you should have one of each.

In my experience, tuning stability has more to do with the nut and tuners than the bridge. The real advantage of the 2-point trem is that it feels smoother and more accurate. But a properly fitted and adjusted 6-screw trem should be just as good.

One thing worth pointing out is that a vintage 6-screw trem has a wider string spacing (2 7/32") than the 2-point trems that Fender uses on its USA guitars, or the newer 6-screw trems that Fender uses on the MIMs and Squiers (2 1/16").

Side note: If you've ever heard of Seymour Duncan's "trembucker" pickups, they're built for the old vintage string spacing, as are Dimarzio's "f-spaced" humbuckers. The magnetic pole pieces on humbuckers don't line up with the strings when placed in the bridge position of a guitar with a vintage-spaced trem, but they work perfectly with the modern narrow-spaced tremolos.

I like the modern 6-screw trems with 2 1/16" spacing, personally, but that's just an aesthetic choice.

Gravity Jim

Doesn't mater to me. The Zencaster has a 6-screw trem bridge because that's what the body was drilled for when I bought it. It works perfectly, and I do prefer (slightly) the wisder spacing. Just used to it... I'm sure I'd get used to the narrower one, too.

Being primarily a Gibson-type player I like the narrower string spacing of the 2-point. I got steel "old style" bent saddles for my American Std. bridge and now have the benefit of narrow string spacing and vintage steel saddle sound. A definite improvement over the newer cast saddles.

That's an interesting way to go. Never heard of that before.

one thing you can try as an experiment is to pull the inner trem screws on the plate and just leave the outer two. this is not exactly like the 2 point synschro trem, but it'll at least give you an idea of that it is.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

as of about 4 months ago, I now have both. the vintage 6 is a Callaham, the 2 point is on my American Deluxe. I like the string spacing on the 6 hole. The callaham guitar vibrates and resonates a good deal more. But with the 2 point you can get the tension on the arm adjusted just perfectly. You can get it to drop away, or make it stay right there.. this to me is the single biggest difference. so even though the callaham guitar sounds better (and stays in tune just as well) the 2 point wins.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

For me that would make the 6 point the winner, sound and resonance is very important and the trem arm tension on a 6 point is just sth You get used to.