Thread: Picking With Too Much Force?

Forum Member

Picking With Too Much Force?

When I practice at home I don't notice my right hand becoming so tired, but at rehearsal/performance, I definitely do.

Could it be I tense up because of nerves?

Or possibly the sheer volume of the band makes me feel like I need to pick harder? I am wondering if maybe I should turn up & pick softer.

Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Re: Picking With Too Much Force?

I know that different amounts of force are appropriate for different notes, but I am wondering if I have perhaps unconsciously raised the median level of picking force when playing with the band.

I wonder if others have experienced the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRU View Post
    I wonder if others have experienced the same thing.
    Sure.
    Could be nerves or volume, or both.
    My problem was 3 loud singers in a "cozy" acoustic setting.

There are times to pick hard for some desired effect, like ending some SRV cover. But you don't want to do it all the time.

The most important factor in playing, outside of technique, is listening, to everything.
    To do that, you need to be able to hear yourself, and the bass and drums, etc.
    That may or may not mean you turning up, or somebody else turning down.
    Standing/sitting somewhere else, or moving/tilting/elevating your amp can help.
    Experiment.
    Real important- You need to hear yourself in relation to what's going on in order to contibute well to it.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

I have always tried not to be too loud. But I do find that sometimes I am playing in an un-relaxed fashion. I am just not sure yet if it is nerves or volume.

I tried last night to be a bit louder, with some success.

There are a few things to consider... one being that when playing live you tend to do everything a bit more vigorously just from the excitement.

Depending on what you are playing, it does take various amounts of picking force to get the right tone and execution of phrases. The thing is to recognize which technical passages might benefit from firmer playing, and not doing it all the time.

For some solos I move toward the bridge where the strings feel tighter in order to get a little more precision of articulation. Other times I get the same feel by turning the plane of the pick parallel to the strings to get more bite and a crisper sound.

If I want to play a phrase with additional body and depth (like the sound of a jazz guitar) I turn the pick angle more toward 45 degrees to soften the attack but lend more "thump" to the string release.

But the main thing is to be aware of how you are playing. And vary it according to the needs of the music.

One way to prevent yourself from picking too hard is to practice with the volume up a notch or two louder than normal - you will naturally ease up.

If you notice that you can only play fast by picking hard, that is something to work on; one should be able to play fast softly as well.

The choice of pick makes a huge difference. Harder picks allow more dynamic changes in playing pressure within a much narrower range of actual physical pressure applied. Softer picks seem to "saturate" at harder picking pressures and can be a little frustrating when they poop out...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=790872

1988 Strat Plus
    2007 Deluxe Reverb
    2005 Ibanez AF75
    1980 Sigma/Martin DM-18

Forum Member

Just relax. You are overthinking the whole thing. Practice more, and play out more. The rest will fall in to line. The more you play, the easier it gets. Its as simple as that.

CT.

death gripping is bad, mmmmkay?

Yes, turn up and pick more softly. Strategically pick with more force when/as the music dictates.

As Coco said, you'll get it.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Play less notes!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    There are a few things to consider... one being that when playing live you tend to do everything a bit more vigorously just from the excitement.

Depending on what you are playing, it does take various amounts of picking force to get the right tone and execution of phrases. The thing is to recognize which technical passages might benefit from firmer playing, and not doing it all the time.

For some solos I move toward the bridge where the strings feel tighter in order to get a little more precision of articulation. Other times I get the same feel by turning the plane of the pick parallel to the strings to get more bite and a crisper sound.

If I want to play a phrase with additional body and depth (like the sound of a jazz guitar) I turn the pick angle more toward 45 degrees to soften the attack but lend more "thump" to the string release.

But the main thing is to be aware of how you are playing. And vary it according to the needs of the music.

One way to prevent yourself from picking too hard is to practice with the volume up a notch or two louder than normal - you will naturally ease up.

If you notice that you can only play fast by picking hard, that is something to work on; one should be able to play fast softly as well.

The choice of pick makes a huge difference. Harder picks allow more dynamic changes in playing pressure within a much narrower range of actual physical pressure applied. Softer picks seem to "saturate" at harder picking pressures and can be a little frustrating when they poop out...
    good points

I had been experimenting with thinner picks recently, thinking they would cause less vibrations & therefore less fatique, especially during fast funky rhythm playing. Actually it had the opposite effect, for the reason you said--they poop out and I ended up playing harder than ever. Plus they're terrible for single note stuff.

I think for the moment I will try turning up a little, consciously relaxing when possible, and (as Don suggested) playing fewer notes

Forum Member

I noticed something else over the weekend--sweat!

When I practice at home I don't really sweat, so I have no trouble gripping the pick, but playing live makes me sweat like crazy, and suddenly the pick is like wet soap.

I am not totally sure of the solution (trying Dunlop Max Grips), but I think it is part of the problem--part of the difference between the two playing situations

It sounds like it's all nerves. Follow CT's advice and you'll probably be all set.

My hands get sweaty when I get nervous too, though it doesn't cause picking problems (I use a short, thick pick and picking dynamics is a huge part of my sound. I barely hold onto my pick). My problem is that my fretting hand will sweat to the neck, even my fingertips stick to finished maple fretboards if I let myself get overly nervous!

Notice I said "let myself get overly nervous". I'm not a showman at all. I play to enjoy the music. I do my best to put myself in a good frame of mind and get off on the joy of playing to a degree where it doesn't bother me as much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It sounds like it's all nerves. Follow CT's advice and you'll probably be all set.

My hands get sweaty when I get nervous too, though it doesn't cause picking problems (I use a short, thick pick and picking dynamics is a huge part of my sound. I barely hold onto my pick). My problem is that my fretting hand will sweat to the neck, even my fingertips stick to finished maple fretboards if I let myself get overly nervous!

Notice I said "let myself get overly nervous". I'm not a showman at all. I play to enjoy the music. I do my best to put myself in a good frame of mind and get off on the joy of playing to a degree where it doesn't bother me as much.
    Nerves are there when I play live, certainly, but that's not really the cause of the sweaty hands issue. I am not freaking out onstage from nerves, my hands just sweat a lot (that is an understatement, actually!). Playing live is a lot of work, and I am also the singer, so I work harder onstage than just playing guitar in the bedroom.

But nerves are a factor, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRU View Post
    I am not freaking out onstage from nerves, my hands just sweat a lot (that is an understatement, actually!). Playing live is a lot of work, and I am also the singer, so I work harder onstage than just playing guitar in the bedroom.
    I hadn't considered that. Come to think of it, most of my live playing is done outdoors in the summer sun or in a tiny, hot BBQ joint!

Forum Member

A good towel, and some Baby Powder are your friends on hot sweaty gigs. Just ask Jeff Beck.

CT.

I've never had a problem with sweaty hands except a few outside gigs when the temp was close to three figures, but if you do, I know a sure fire cure...

Once before a gig I washed and waxed my car. I finished up using rags to apply and buff the polish (paste wax). Even after a shower my hands were strangely super dry and at the gig I noticed they slipped over the strings and neck like never before, dry as a bone, smooth and easy.

You may not want to do your car before every gig, but you can save the polish rag and rub your hands on it before you play. Something in the paste wax absolutely dries out your hands and keeps them that way for hours... worth a try to see if it works for you.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=790872

1988 Strat Plus
    2007 Deluxe Reverb
    2005 Ibanez AF75
    1980 Sigma/Martin DM-18

Forum Member

I have been experimenting with these, and they do stay put in my sweaty mitts.
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...cts/pip&id=419
    If that fails I may switch to car wax :-) Actually, a solution for the left hand might be nice. I have not tried baby powder,, I would need as much as Beck uses. I would have a pocketful like Ivan Lendyl.

Forum Member

I have also been experimenting with changing the way I position my right hand. I no longer anchor fingers on the scratch plate, and I find that a floating hand creates less resistance and less muscle fatigue.

The loose fist is a more natural hand position, too, and the position of the pick in my fingers makes a difference, as well.

The only problem is my hand occasionally gets lost during single note passages, or that I want to switch back to the old method unconsciously.

As others have said, play out more you'll get the hang of it. Don't be afraid to bang the hell out of the strings if needed though: if the song calls for it, you must heed.

As far as sweaty hands, I sometimes have that problem, other times don't...haven't figured out what the trigger is if there is one. If you're worried about dropping your pick try scratching it up a little on the concrete outside, gives it a little bit of extra grip. Personally I can't stand nylon picks so this is what I do. If they're working out for you though...

Picks?? Check these out...DAVA Picks.

Not cheap, but damn do I love these things!!

bluzkat

Funny story...at a band practice a few months back the other guys were commenting on how great my rig was sounding that day...the only difference was I didn't have any picks on me so I had to use a mexican peso coin! Talk about cheap tone!