Thread: Anybody use the EV ND767A mic?

Forum Member

Anybody use the EV ND767A mic?

I have accumulated a lot of mics. over the years, and all had their own identity. Back in the day, we used the old Shure mics with the high impedence output. Later we used the EV DS-35 studio mics, they had a lot of feedback rejection, and good gain, but were flat EQ, and it took some time to get the vocals dialed in. I was using Shure 57s for drum mics, and an SM-12 headworn with the R&R group. Later, with the country band, most everybody started using the 57s and 58s for vocals, very easy to get dialed in.
    Does anybody use the EV ND767A, and how does it compare to the other low priced mics?

Re: Anybody use the EV ND767A mic?

I own one, and, to be honest, I really dig the shure Beta 58 over the EV. I have three Betas and they are just perfect. The EV is nice, good clarity on the top end, but for whatever reason, I always end up with the betas.

Forum Member

Thanks for the insight, I've actually just traded a little practice amp for a Shure Beta58, so maybe I've lucked out! I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like I'll like it.

late to the thread but here's my take:

i use sm58's or beta 58's on vocals. i've used every other vocal mic out there, but they always get compared to the 58. they may not be the "coolest" or "high tech" but the 58 always delivers, and i don't have to work any miracles to do so.

for live sound i really like shure, built tough and affordable. you can buy cheaper mics but they won't return on the value.

best of luck with your new mic.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Chuckocaster, thanks for the advice, I'm afraid I don't see much more from the B58, than a 25 year old SM58, they both sound great. Of course we don't play 1000 seat venues anymore either.
    I guess I'll have to find another reason to buy a new mic one of these days!

Chcuk, have you tried the e935 on vox? It's really quite nice. Clean and articulate without any real 'hype' on the spectrum. Around the same $ as a B58, and worth a listen.

I think the B58 is worlds better than the SM58, which is kind of the baseline of vocal mics. It works, it's rugged, but spend the same $ or a few more, and you can do way better, if you know what you're looking for.

For guitars I'm either e906 or MD421. Yes, I'm a Sennheiser junkie.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

yep, i've tried that one kap'n. i still come back to the 58, or beta 58 if they have it.

the 906 or 609 i'll use on a dark sounding guitarist, but more often than not i can just use a 57 and tweak it's position. i'm one of the few guys who will move a mic before eq'ing the crap out of it. i think there in lies the problem, too many times people complain about shure mics but don't set them up right. either position or the speaker rig itself.

i think every mic has a time and place, but for doing live sound which is fast and dirty i'd rather use the shure mics cause i can handle them better than other mics. they are a little more forgiving.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I don't have a 767 but I just dug my 757 out last night and did some tests with that and all my other mics.

I like the 757 for the extra mid kick it has. If I was playing a gig in a hall with crappy trash-can echo (you know the kind of place where it's loud as hell but you can't hear anything in particular) I'd use it for vocals because I figure the extra mids might punch through a little better than a 58 or 57.

On a side note from my tests last night I was surprised to learn that my 57's sound different from each other. The brighter of the two is about 20 years old, the other I just bought a couple of years ago.