Thread: Powered Mains ?

Powered Mains ?

I've never used them before but have been considering.

Could any one share some pros/cons, likes / dislikes, make & model recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Powered Mains ?

My church uses them. I can't, for the life of me, remember the make/model even though I turn them on and off every darn Sunday. Sheesh.

I guess one con is that you've got to run juice to them in addition to a speaker cable. If you play in a place where outlets are limited, that means some extra extension cords and/or power strips.

In general, I like 'em. It's convenient as anything. There's no guesswork on whether you've got the right amp for the speakers. You just run a line to them and you're good.

No separate power amp, so that might be one less thing to carry.
    s'all goof.

i use them at church also, they are yorkvilles... okay, but not great. my gripe is not so much them being powered as much as that the rig is underpowered for the room. most shows i mix use passive speakers.

talking to a friend of mine the other day it all came clear to me. mind you, it may make no difference for your application:

powered speakers are fine (i personally get good results out of them), but they give up some internal acoustic space which messes with the sound. passive speakers are better because you can control them more.

at the end of the day though, use your ears! it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

best of luck dude.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

We use Mackie powered speakers and we love them. We also use powered monitors.

Jerry

I like Mackie powered mains, but haven't had the cash to get any myself, so the experience has always been at other locations.

as i see it:

Pros:
    -convenience for bands, easier to lug around.
    -sometimes cheaper than components
    -no mixing/matching of speaker/amp

Cons:
    -no room to upgrade amp or speaker
    -if it breaks, it's broken, unless you're willing to swap stuff out.
    -not as many options as discreet speakers/amps

I like 'em, but I think powered speakers are better suited for monitors, IMO, though.

I've been using powered mains for the last 5 years. One failed but was replaced under warantee immediately. Everyone has been right, it is convenient and sounds great, but you have carry ext cords. If you are a pro, you will carry those ext cords anyway. When the one failed, I did not have the option of swapping out a speaker. I was lucky.. it only went out for a half a set and I was able to get it to work for the rest of the day, but it wouldn't work when I got it home. I think the real advantge comes if you have active subs because you do not have to set crossovers and such.
    Last edited by concert410; 11-23-2010 at 02:10 PM.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Update:
    We added one 1000 Watt active sub to our two 500 watt mains. The sub has left and right stereo outputs to feed to the left and right mains. We are a guitar\bass\drums\vocal and guitar player also sings. Last gig, I used a Sansamp GT2 and went direct into the mixer. The bass player ran through a Behringher BDI directly into the mixer, and the drummer took a line out from his new Roland V-Drums into the mixer. Using 5 channels, we had complete control over our sound and used ZERO amps in the backline. Everything went though the monitors and the only thing I didn't like was the over processed drum patch the drummer used. I used a Strat and a Les Paul and got feedback and wonderful interaction by standing near my floor wedge monitor. Set up time was minimized and when you think about the extra mics and amp cords, we actually used LESS equipment than before. If the club manager had come out to ask us to turn down, all I needed to do was push two faders and be done. Because we didn't have the loud backline of amps, and acoustic drums to deal with, we were perfect volume. Granted, none of us are going to sell our actual amps or the acoustic drum kit, but using some modern technology helped us to achieve a new level of professionalism. last but not least, our physical band footprint was much smaller. I was really surprised at what we were able to do.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash