Thread: Anyone use Dr. Z amps?

Forum Member

Anyone use Dr. Z amps?

Just wondering if anyone out there is running any Dr Z stuff, like the the Maz 18. Thats the one that has me interested but have only heard soundfiles. Sounds damm sweet. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Trent

Forum Member
    I have a Maz 18 Jr (1x12) and I love it. I'm a fender amp guy but wanted an el-84 type of amp. It is a great strat and tele amp but also sounds wicked with a Gibson too! The "cut" knob allows you to easily match the amp with the guitar.

Mine took some time to break in (4 months or so)

Can you check one out at a store?

Forum Member
    Drove down to Daves(200 miles) and he was out at the time. Do you know how the Maz 38 differs other than more headroom I'am guessing? Did you run one? thanks ghoul!

Trent

Forum Member
    I didn't get to try a Maz 38 out but I bet I'd like it!

Forum Member
    The 18 watters get louder than you need 95% of the time unless you're a pro who plays big venues all the time.

I'd rather play an 18 watt amp cranked verses a bigger one turned down.

Dr.z's seem to respond very well to pedals too.

Forum Member
    Hey trents111,

I have a Brand New one for sale. Look in the Classified section.
    I was on vacation up on Lake Erie and stopped in at the Dr.Z factory. I tried out the Maz Jr. 18 and told the Dr. that I wanted to order one on the spot. I made the mistake of not telling my wife about it and when it showed up all hell broke loose.

Take Care,
    Paul

papolski@adelphia.net
    Last edited by Winky; 07-30-2002 at 06:42 PM.

Forum Member
    The Maz38 is somewhat different from the Maz18 - yes, louder and more headroom, but most of all, the most beautiful chimy ringing clean of any modern amp I've had a chance to hear. The Maz18 is more about overdrive; the 38 is more about clean, though it will also break up in a good crunchy way when you push it.

The Mazerati (not the Maz's) is almost as great a clean for 2/3 the price as the Maz38. The KT45 is Live at Leeds. The Route 66 is just a killer rock amp all around - many folks' favorite. And the ZBest 2-12 cab is the biggest sounding 2-12 out there (IMHO).

I've owned a Mazerati and a KT45, sold both to buy the new 6545 (a channel switching head with a KT45 preamp and an SRZ65 preamp built into the same head) that should be arriving this week.

Clips of lots of these things on the Chapin Guitars website - www.chapinguitars.com. And yes, they love pedals!
    It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with
    the human problem all one's life and find at the end
    that one has no more to offer by way of
    advice than "try to be a little kinder."
    -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)

Forum Member
    I've owned both a Route 66 and a MAZ-38 combo. I stupidly sold both off to try out other things. Now I've come to my senses and realized his amps just work for me. I've got a new MAZ Senior head due in Friday. I can't wait to see how it differs from the original MAZ-38.

Forum Member
    Hi Guys,

Like I said above, While on vacation I visited the Dr. Z factory.
    I called the Dr. and told him that I wanted to visit and he welcomed me with open arms. When I walked through the door I was warmly greeted and led over to the center of one large room.
    There was a Large carpet on the floor there with every amp that Dr.Z makes. There were 2 different Telecasters, 1 Stratocaster, 1 Les Paul and 1 Gibson SG. What was great about this was you could try every amp he makes with any guitar combination. I went there intent on ordering a Maz 38 SR. After trying every amp out there (Including some new models not yet available) I came to the conclusion that the only amps that (I liked) were the Mazerati and the Maz Jr.18 and the Maz Sr.38. When I asked the Dr. about the 38 Sr. he said that the 18 Jr. was really 24 watts and that you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. So we listened to both of them again While a guy he has working there played each one back and forth. When I turned my back, I lost track and couldn't tell the difference. So, in my experience, The only difference between the two was one got a little louder longer. If you like that Smooth clean bell like sound and can control your tone very nicely. I'd say go with the Maz 18 JR. If you need just a touch more power then go for the Maz 38 SR.

Of course, This was just my first hand experience and opinion.

Paul

Forum Member
    Whatever the wattage is, the Jr's get pretty damn loud