Thread: Looking for a 50s style pickups

Looking for a 50s style pickups

Got a guitar that I think could use a new set of single coils. Unfortunately funds prevent me from buying a bunch of different sets to try out so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the different sets available. I know there are a TON of these, but I just want to see what general opinion is on a few different winders.

What I'm really looking for is a very articulate set that will work well clean (doesnt have to do anything else) on an amp that only has volume and tone.

Can't afford vintage pickups but anything <~300 for the set is alright.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Re: Looking for a 50s style pickups

look for alnico 3's. Toneriders' Surfari set are cheap & get some good reviews.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Check out GFS for some good sounding pickups on the cheap. They're certainly not the best that money can buy, but they're a lot better than their pricing may infer. I put a set of their 50's alnico premiums in a Strat to replace the MIM ceramics that were there originally. I'm very pleased with them for that sound.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pralstpiourb.html
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

Well $300 will get you some nice pickups.
    The Toneriders are nice, cheap too, but after buying their humbuckers and single coils I just found that it was easier overall to buy a better quality set. They're good pickups, just not great.. I dont have too much experience with Kinmans or the real boutique stuff but after a year of trying every Fender pickup there is, I went with the Fender fat50s. Vintage sounding, a little hotter though, great cleans..

Fender custom shop Fat 50ies and '54s get great reviews and are very well suited for clean sounds, it's a matter off opinion and guitar wood which to choose, personally I realy like the CS '69s and for a vintage 50ies strat with Ash body and Maple neck I would go for the Custom Shop '54 set, some high dollar Customshop Strats have these and are for sale on the Bay for 100 to 130 Dollar! a sett.

Fender CS '54's are great sounding pickups. Great cleans. Great overdriven. Great bridge pickup. I use bridge alone as often as any other position.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Just installed some rocketfires in a clone...5th set in same guitar and the last. I have Rolphs, originals, bareknucle apaches and fender reissue ones in my strats and at the moment the rocketfires are really holding their own, but i love them all. Still early days but I'm thinking of getting another set for a next build. Think they are in the $300 area.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Fender CS '54's are great sounding pickups. Great cleans. Great overdriven. Great bridge pickup. I use bridge alone as often as any other position.
    Every Strat I own has a set of these. I think they are the best out there.

Zhangliqun wound me a pure vintage set with the bridge pickup using two different magnets.They have great presence and sparkle with a very slight bump in the mids,very musical.
    http://www.zhangbucker.com/strat-singles.html
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I just think it's a shame the CS '54s are alnico 5 and not alnico 3 like the original ones, which gives them more bite that is more noticable in the trebles. The difference is almost as major as going from alnico 5 to ceramic. Here e.g. the Fralin True '54s are more true to the original, I find.

I'd rather prefer the 57/62s being more balanced and sweeter to the ear therefore - or the Fat '50s, espec with an Ash body. Also the Lace Holy Grails are a nice take on the vintage concept, and dead quiet too.

I don't know anything about "true to the originals" or not.

They're the best strat pickups I've heard. Vintage accuracy is irrelevant. I can even get past the tone sucking qualities of the plastic coating wire on my set.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks