Thread: Humbucker (not single coil size) for strat?

Forum Member

Humbucker (not single coil size) for strat?

Quick question (searched to no avail)... I have an Am. Dlx. Fat Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position that I'm looking to replace. Are the buckers in these quitars the same spec/size as regular production gibson humbuckers? I've been thinking of dropping in a burstbucker for experimentation or having a boutique one made, but I'm not sure about compatibility. Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Humbucker (not single coil size) for strat?

The Mystery of the F-Spacing Humbucker
    09/22/2008

Q: I understand the difference between a standard humbucker and a Trembucker, but what on earth is "F-Spacing?" And why do I need to know about it?

A: F-spacing refers to the widest spacings on full-sized humbucking pickups. For correct string alignment and a balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" or 53mm (or greater). If the nut width is 1-11/16" or 43mm (or greater) F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position. Why two different standards? Originally the electric guitar world was pretty much split between Gibson and Fender designs, and one of the differences (besides scale length) was string spacing. Gibson typically chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, so the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers would be closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops (and serious do-it-yourselfers) started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, the strings didn't line up with the polepieces. If the top and bottom E strings were too far outside the polepieces, the sound could suffer. Floyd Rose-equipped guitars have string-spacing the same as Fender spacing, so it naturally evolved that these pickups were called "F-spaced."
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

Holy great wall of text Batman... So I need an 'F-spaced' humbucker? Care to point me to what brands make them? Thanks

bottom line: you don't 'need' one, but it would be 'proper' based on original design.

To me the bigger issue would be matching output levels so the bridge pickup does not over power the single coils

Actually, it sounds like the F-spaced humbuckers, or "trembuckers," are made only for the vintage Fender bridge, which has a 2 7/32-inch string spacing. The American Deluxe bridge has a 2 1/16-inch string spacing, which is the same as a Gibson tune-o-matic, or PRS, or any other modern bridge.

These days, even modern Fender guitars have the same 2 1/16-inch string spacing that Gibson and other guitar makers use. A vintage Fender bridge is pretty rare. You'll find it on an American Vintage, or a custom shop, or an EJ or other signature strat. But most production guitars will have the more modern narrow spacing.

So for your guitar you probably want a regular humbucker, and NOT an "f-spaced" or "trembucker"

Forum Member

Awesome info guys, thanks a ton!

Forum Member

And thanks for the link!

Yeah, good explanation of pole piece spacing.

I'd suggest you take a look at this too:http://store.guitarfetish.com/

I've gotten GFS pickups and been very happy with them. They get some good feedback here on thefenderforum (TFF). They are super-cheap, so it's easy to buy a bunch and swap them around and experiment.

I've also been very happy with the Seymour Duncan pickups I've gotten. I recently put some Semour Duncan P-rails in a Tele-like guitar of mine and have been extremely happy. It might be very well-suited to the bridge position of your Strat. The pickup splits to a P-90, a single coil, and also sounds great as a humbucker. Worth checking out.

Good luck and welcome to TFF.
    s'all goof.