Thread: Bandmaster vs. Bandmaster Reverb:

TFF Stage Crew

Bandmaster vs. Bandmaster Reverb:

Anybody have experience w/these two amps & would be willing to tell me about the sonic similarities & differences? I noticed that '60s Bandmasters don't have a tube rectifier (& of course are missing the reverb circuit), & am wondering what difference this makes as far as the sound & feel of the amp goes in relation to the later BMR.
    I'm really digging my BMR & want to do another similar project. Searching eBay I see a lot of these older amps going for cheap & I'm thinking about picking one up for another "combo convo".

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Bandmaster vs. Bandmaster Reverb:

The BMR shares no sonic similarities to a real Bandmaster. Sonically and electronically, it's more akin to a Super Reverb. In fact, the circuits are identical save for the secondary impedance of the output tranny.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

So what's a Bandmaster like? Nice & punchy? Does the absence of a reverb circuit affect it in ways besides the obvious lack of 'verb?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

It really depends upon the speaker configuration. With a bass-reflex cab the Bandmaster is pretty clean and linear, with a solid bottom end. Using an open-back cab with multiple 10's or 12's yields more bite and more perceived volume. Once driven into compression the tone is similar to a brownface if you back off the treble and refrain from using the bright switch. Dimed through a single 15 (especially an open-backed box) will approach the legendary BF Vibroverb territory.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I will tell you one thing, other than the effect of the rectifier tube at high volumes in the BMR producing sag you sure can not judge the difference in sound between these two amps by just the schematics!

The BMR parts wise other than the recitfier tube and the PT with a 5 volt winding shows just about the same voltage ( by the schematic) on the plates of the output tubes as the non-verb BM, yet the BMR preamp tubes by what the schematic shows printed on it only shows 230 volts at the 12ax7s, while the BM shows 260, yet none of the resistors that would need to be different to make this happen are different!

My 67 BM with good outputs(7581s) and biased at 29 ma will top 40 watts rms, the last BMR I had on my test rig could only muster 33 watts RMS with the same tubes. swapping in a 5AR4 recto in place of the 5U4GB would get you up to 38 watts.

The BMR would sing more happy up loud with the recto tube, but the BMs bottom end was a good deal tighter, so in the end as always its comes down to what your playin style and ears want !
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Forum Member

You all seem pretty knowledgeable with Bandmasters. I have a 67 BMR with the original Caps. I think it lacks tone. Will changing the caps make a difference? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    You all seem pretty knowledgeable with Bandmasters. I have a 67 BMR with the original Caps. I think it lacks tone. Will changing the caps make a difference? Thanks
    Original electrolytic caps or coupling caps (or both)? Original electrolytic caps need to be replaced regardless of tone. Coupling caps usually only get replaced if they're leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Original electrolytic caps or coupling caps (or both)? Original electrolytic caps need to be replaced regardless of tone. Coupling caps usually only get replaced if they're leaking.
    I have to edit my post. I'm not sure stratosphere will return. I have to agree with Don, with a caveat.
    It's important to change electrolytic filter caps, and they may not affect tone, but electrolytic cathode bypass caps "may" affect gain stage and tone particularly. Electrolytic caps can dry out. Coupling caps can go bad and also will affect tone.

It's possible other mods can be done. The big question these days is the amp worth more in "original" condition, or 'repaired" into something usable?

It's a tough question, and in the end my personal belief is an amp, (or anything else) is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I admit that I wanted to see pictures of a '67 Bandmaster reverb, because I don't believe one exists. That would be very rare indeed.

I'm relatively "new" here, and I don't want to piss any body off. (too late, I'm afraid) but I'd like to answer questions helpfully, if I can.

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by vinyl; 07-25-2020 at 08:42 AM.