Thread: '68 bassman- tech's dilemma

Forum Member

'68 bassman- tech's dilemma

Hi folks, don't get over here too often, but thought I'd run this by you. I've got this amp, that's been a great experimental platform. It's chassis is now in a 2X10 combo cab(Weber 10F-150T). All the components & trans(choke) have been upgraded to: Merc Mag, PIO tone caps, Allen Bradley CC, etc. My question concens the circuit, as far as salability. Right now, the power section is the regular Pre-CBS type(variable adjust-fixed bias), but the pre amp is clear for any design. Would it be best to return it to the AB165 circuit, for ease of maintenance and familiararity? Or go with a"player's amp" design that I've found to be more touch sensitive? I would provide the schem and layout, if the buyer likes. Just haven't bought or sold equipment for so long, I'm not sure of which way to go here. Thanks, Art

Re: '68 bassman- tech's dilemma

Art,

Many folks like the 864 circuit, or some blend of that and the 165 circuit.

I wouldn't necessarily consider any of those upgrades as upgrades, unless those were the brown caps in there. Schumacher is definitely good iron.

If you're looking to sell, I'd rip all of that stuff out, bring it back to stock, and sell the after market parts at a smaller loss than you would get otherwise.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

i'm with kap'n on this one. i used to own a 68 drip edge, what a monster of an amp.

long story short, i'd recommend returning it back close to stock with the exception of the adjustable bias. i personally like the sound of silverfaces better than blackfaces if the silverface has an adjustable bias.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'd concur with the others, Art.

Take it back to standard AB165 configuration so the new owner has a known starting point for ease of maintenance and servicing. If you feel generous, include with the sale any removed components and make some notes to indicate the mods which had been installed and what their effect(s) were on the amp's tone.

Arjay
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thanks for your advise, guys. The amp was a mess of cheesy mods, and the only oem parts were the iron, so they can be returned to the chassis. What do think, the AB165 pre amp with the AA864 power amp, using mid grade components? Art

Forum Member

Yeah, it was just an idea, to generate some seed money for a new build. After seeing how shabby the used amp market is right now, it doesn't look like it would be worth the effort to return it to stock. I'll just go ahead and use this chassis. Thanks for your time. It's always good to hear a familiar voice, Arjay. Art

there you go dude. i've been doing the same thing lately, using what i have.

please don't do anything that isn't reversible to it though. cause one day the money will go back up, and extra holes bring down the value.

best of luck dude.

Forum Member

Right you are,Chuck. I used to tech for a collector(10+yrs), that's how I came by the amp. Someone decided it could be a high gain Marshall. So I've been shepherding it back, for years. Thought it would make a good"grab&go" combo, but at sixty, I'd like to grab a lighter amp. Art

i tried the high gain thing in my 68, it was cool for about 6 months. but then it blew up, and then sat for years. i traded it to my buddy gary who works on amps. in the interning years i learned to pick the right amp for the job, and leave it decently stock.

seems like you know all this, that's cool. maybe a deluxe reverb would be cool?