Thread: Is there such a thing as a variable load pot?

Forum Member

Is there such a thing as a variable load pot?

I have a Tele with a Broadcaster bridge pickup and a humbucker neck. My pots are the stock 250Ks the guitar came with, but the 'bucker is just too dark. I've tried three with similar results, and these were pickups that sounded great in guitars with 500K pots.

While I think that switch would fix the neck tone, I'm worried that the Broadcaster bridge pickup will be too bright. It's really dialed in right now, and I don't want to sacrifice the tone I'm getting.

Is there such a thing as a 250K/500K pot that uses a push-pull mechanism to switch between the two? That would seem like the best of both worlds. If not, how do people usually solve this problem? Do you wire in a capacitor of some sort on one of the pickups to induce the desired results?

Re: Is there such a thing as a variable load pot?

You could use a 500 kohm push pull pot, with the switch putting a 500kohm resistor in parallel with the pot.

It might screw with the taper.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Could you put in an additional resistor that would only be in the circuit when the neck alone is selected?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

You could try this: http://www.allparts.com/250K-500K-Co...p-4585-000.htm

It's two separate pots, though. I'm not sure if there's a stacked pot with only one shaft sort of arrangement somewhere.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    You could try this: http://www.allparts.com/250K-500K-Co...p-4585-000.htm

It's two separate pots, though. I'm not sure if there's a stacked pot with only one shaft sort of arrangement somewhere.
    That's pretty cool and might be just what I need. That would essentially give me the two volume/two tone control layout of a Les Paul without having to mess up the classic aesthetics of a Tele.

Forum Member

That does look ideal. I'm surprised that's not used more often in Teles that have one 'bucker.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    That does look ideal. I'm surprised that's not used more often in Teles that have one 'bucker.
    I'm now wondering if somebody makes a 250K/250K concentric pot. I found a 500K/500K, but nothing on the former yet. That would allow me to have the front knob for the humbucker tone/volume and the rear knob for the bridge tone/volume. That would be ideal, but I would be happy with two 500K/250K pots as well.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I have a project to start.