Thread: Clean Boost?? ?? ??

Forum Member

Clean Boost?? ?? ??

Ok I have a Fender JV Strat and a Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP...its S.S. but VERY tube like...

I am looking to "fatten" up my sound and i'm going to have my Ibanez TS-9 modded by Robert Keeley probably.

what i'm wondering is what clean boost to you prefer? right now i'm looking at these two:

Fulltone Fat-Boost

Hughes and Kettener Tube Factor

what do you guys think of these two??

i have used the fat boost in the past, very awesome pedal. i really liked it, i can't comment on the h&k though, cause i've never used it, or heard one. i use an old mxr micro amp, which i like cause it doesn't alter my tone. but from what you have posted i would say the fat boost would be the way to go. i thought it was transparent while at the same time thickening up the sound.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Definitely do the Fat Boost, great pedal and you can pick up the old 2002 version through gtrheaven.com for 129.95. The new ones have the circuit changed for more top end.

Forum Member
    Even for my Fender Ultimate Chorus solid state amp, you think the Fat Boost will be great?? don't you think a tube pedal would work better??

thanks

matt

The reverend Drivetrain 2 Overdrive has a ton of boost to it, and with the Drive turned down is an excellent clean boost!

the tubes can be good, but if you like the sound of your amp and only want a boost, i'd say just get a "boost" pedal. but, i distortion pedal like the drive train might open up the tonal palette for you. i've got one, but rarely use the dist. on it. i use to push my amps harder for crunch. but i play, but experiment man, that is the only way you'll know for sure.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

clean boost

i love the older marshall shredmasters i used to get great tones out of it iand i liked it because it was road rugged
    one night i accedently ran over my gig bag and guess what i smooshed! that marshall pedal i miss it the newer ones sound totally different but the old black ones like i had and am in the middle of repairing lol sound much better so if your car weighs over 2000lbs get something rugged like the old shredmaster they are built like a tank i only did superficial damage lol i got to replace only 3 potentiometers lmao only i need it like a hole in the head

its better to have a bottle infront of me than to have a frontal labotomy !!!!!

that old shredmaster had somany great various useful tones i never heard a pedal like it to me i still feel the pain of its sufferin

i used to use it to kik over the leads using my old fender bassman heads or marshal heads run thru a old marshall 4x12 cab
    good luck
    that night it was good it the* incident* happened after a great gig
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

The new Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster is great boost pedal. It is inexpensive and very underrated. It smokes my SHO.

You can spend big bucks on a Klon Centaur if you'd like, or try an EQ pedal. With an EQ pedal you can actually dial in the frquencies you like and then turn up the output level. I used to use one as a clean boost and it worked great. I found that very often, boosting the signal with any pedal does require a bit of EQ tweaking. What better pedal to do that with?
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew
    T-B is quite right.

I use a Fat-Boost (2003 model) which I LOVE. However, I use mine as more of a "secret tone ingredient" pedal. It's always on. That way my Strat or Tele is hitting the preamp of my Blues Deluxe hard, a sound I really dig.

My solos are boosted by my FD2.

On the gigs I've wanted just a pure clean boost pedal on my board, I've used either an EQ pedal or a compressor (with very little compression dialed in).

The SD P/U Booster has a neat little switch that fattens up even the most anemic Strat pu's. I use the "1" position on the SD. The "2"slot is pure mud IMHO.

The Bad Bob Boost is what I'm using.

Troy T. also uses one.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member
    put me down as another Fat Boost user. J got it for me three years ago and I love it.

TFF Stage Crew

Clean Boost

I'm using the Pharaoh Amplifiers Class-A Boost Pro.

Using this thing in front of my Bassman reminds me of when I put nitrous oxide on my old Z28.

Years ago I used a MXR 10 band eq. It was fine for what I needed. And Tele-Bob is right (Damn it! He's always right!), you need to be able to manipulate the eq for an effective boost.

I recently sold my Electro Harmonix LPB-2, it was okay. It just didn't do it for me. Now I'm on a Z-Vez Super Hard On. I really like it!! I will also be trying the Fulltone Fat Boost and a few more popular boutiqe pedals.

Jack w/his radar
    I too use mine to "color" my sound and use my FD2 to boost for solos. Do you put your Fat boost after or before your FD2? Do you get to use the boost on your FD2 (with the fat boost "on") at all? I find that I can't add that much gain before it gets too crappy sounding.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Forum Member
    I have a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and it is nice in the clean boost role. Well worth a look if you ask me.

SHREDMASTER

I MISS MY OL BLACK MARSHALL SHREDMASTER THE ORIGINAL ONES
    I USED TO DIAL IN AND CLEANLY BOOST THE LIVIN SNOT OUT OF ABOUT ANY AMP IT WAS IN FRONT OF
    IT WORKED SO GREAT
    AND WITH ALL THE KNOBS IT HAD I THINK 6 YOU REALLY COULD DIAL IN A NICE SOUND EQ IT IN A SENSE IT WAS LIKE A GAINEY EQUALIZER IT ADDED WARMTH OR CRUNCH AS NEEDED IT REALLY WAS A GREAT IDEA JIM MARSHALL HAD THE BLACK ONES
    THE NEWER ONES ARENT NOWHERE CLOSE OR AS DECENT SOUNDING TO ME

I DONT THINK THEY CALL IT A SHREDMASTER(THEY MIGHT) I FORGOT EITHER IT SOUNDED LIKE VERY BRIGHT BRITTLE METALLICA STYLE SOUND

I LIKE WARMTH NOT TOO BRIGHT OVER TOP JUST ENOUGH CUT TO GOT THRU WITH A SOLO

I WISH MARSHALL WOULD RE MAKE THEM OLD STYLE PEDALS AGAIN

IM STILL LOOKIN FOR ANOTHER ONE
    I GOT TO REALLY FIRE UP THE NEW SOLDERIN IRON TO RE DO MY RAN OVER POOR PEDAL .......LMAO I AM A DUMBASS

NEVER TRUST A BUDDY TO HELP LOAD THE VAN ......
    I FORGOT MY GIGBAG UNDER THE BACK TIRE AND REST IS HISTORY LMAO ......MY FAULT I DIDNT LOOK
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by thebluesbarn

Jack w/his radar
    I too use mine to "color" my sound and use my FD2 to boost for solos. Do you put your Fat boost after or before your FD2? Do you get to use the boost on your FD2 (with the fat boost "on") at all? I find that I can't add that much gain before it gets too crappy sounding.
    Oh, hey tbb, I just saw your question, having been on hiatus for awhile.

I've actually tried the FB before and after the FD2, and eventually concluded I like it best after. I leave it on all the time, so it's the very last thing to hit my amp (other than the analog delay in my FX loop).

This way I can use the FD2 with and without it's own boost, and I never have the crapping-out sound, although I used to before putting the delay in the FX loop.

Although I go back and forth, I'm currently back to using the FD2 in comp mode, and I find that the FD2 gives me a nice crunch that way for Bluesy fills or crunchy rhythm. Then, with the FD2's boost on, I get the wailing solo thing.