Thread: Jamey Aebersold tracks

TFF Stage Crew

Jamey Aebersold tracks

Anybody use these? I saw some of his stuff at the local Mom&Pop store on Wed. It looked interesting but I don't want to buy a package just for a song or two. I't would be cool to pick & choose the tunes to make your own compilation of sorts.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Jamey Aebersold tracks

That's why Apple invented the iTunes store, Robert.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

It doesn't look like any of his stuff is available on iTunes.

Gravity Jim

Yeah, after seeing this post, I went looking at iTunes for Aebersold or Music-Minus-One tracks and didn't find any.

TFF Stage Crew

I have a fair amount of his stuff. For the last several years his website has been promising individual MP3 downloads of the tunes rather than "album-only" format, but so far that hasn't happened.

Some of the stuff is dynamite ("Blues In All 12 Keys," for instance) in terms of its helpfulness and its quality. I've bought a couple other things I thought I would love because they're organized as Coltrane classics (and thus are really just standards he recorded) or whatever, but some of the stuff is recorded with organ in one channel and drums in the other channel, which is a little annoying if you play along to a stereo. That stuff, such as that with Hank Marr on organ, was recorded so long ago that it was intended for playing along with a close & play LP player with its one, mono speaker.

Another otherwise great compilation of standards I have does this annoying thing where the first chorus of the tune is in the normally used key signature, then every chorus there after modulates to a new key via the key-cycle. Thus every song is 12 choruses long. That's pretty cool if you want to try melodic ideas and licks in all 12 keys, but not at all real-world of course, where you'd want one chorus at the beginning and end to play the melody, then three or so choruses in the middle (in the same key) to work on your improv.

We have a huge sheet music emporium here in Columbus called Stanton's Music--it's the size of a grocery store--and they have the entire Aebersold catalog. I usually pick up a new one once or twice a year, but I wish his company would get with the times and offer individual stuff for download on his site.