Thread: tokai vs real fender strats /tele's

tokai vs real fender strats /tele's

how close are these guitars dimension wise are they very close to the real thing ?
    someone on this forunm has some tokai tele for sale the neck well it looked at the headstock more like a mako style desighn than a fwender std tele contour i guesss thats how they get out of lawsuits i was just wondering if fender parts /visa versa are interchangeable because then there could definitely be alot of fender clones out there ..
    lou
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    Hard to say. Tokais are all over the map and it depends on the model and likely the age too. The older high end ones are dead ringers for old Fenders. I have some very fond memories of a $300.00 paisley Tokai Tele w/ a faux-Fender decal from the mid-late '80s.

the japanese tokais above the 60,000 yen price are nice, very nice. they make a lp 59 burst that cost 320,000 yen. divide by 115 to get dollars.

the tokai issues

the tokai teles i seen in this forum had what looked more like the mako headstock desighn cut at very end i never owned one of these clone guitars but i hear the old tokai's that RON wood /srv played were dead ringers is it true i seen the srv picture of him with a tokai strat style guitar i dont kno the exact date of the srv picture but its out there i have it on my other cmp as a screensaver
    i was curious could you actually unbolt real fender parts and put then on a old tokai strat thing ?
    im nosey
    i was at a old stones concert in the 80's and ron wood definitely had tokai strat styled guitars

they must be pretty good
    just this picture of the tele one on the fender forum it has bruce lee on its pick guard and the headstock cut was different than my real telecaster
    the picture of bruce lee stuck in my mind
    lol
    i wonder if the guitar came from the factory with that pick guard picture
    look for the guitar its on th fender forum here for sale somewhere

let me kno wha you think
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

that appears to be an after the "lawsuit" headstock, made in japan (probably) and a 61,000 yen guitar. from my limited knowledge that's what i deduce. i think the bruce lee thing is just a decal or sticker.

The late 70's and early 80's Tokai Strats are way better than the USA Fenders. I dont have any experience with the Teles but have played some of the Strats and they were more accurate than any 80's made Fenders.

no argument. seems they're sneaking back into the accurate headstock shape of late, on the japanese models.

Forum Member
    I have an `84 Tokai strat with the Fender headstock. Plays and sounds great. The bottom of the pups are gray color with a U stamped on them. Love it and wouldn`t sell it.

TO SNEAKY!!!

HEY in your opinion then how close to a real fender is your tokai strat ? is it noticable differences on that model tokai strat you got than the real fender strats

lou
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    well I own only one Fender USA strat, custom shop custom classic strat, and 1 Tokai so it`s a bit difficult to say iffin they`re all one or the other. Both different and very nice in their own ways. I need to play / own more of both to pass judgement. I can say I love playing both.

reply to sneaky

thats kool i was just curious in your own opinion how they matched up i mean are the parts that accurately copied that its all interchangeable i am very interested in this topic because the tokai's strats i seen ron wood playing were or looked like strats till you got a view of the TOKAI fenderish decals on headstock
    im nosey

thanks for your input /reply bro
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew
    I have a maple-necked Strat of unknown offshore origin w/a big, beefy, rounded neck on it. The dimensions are close, but the holes for the neck have been drilled in a different place, putting them off by enough to make a standard Fender neck not fit w/out a serious gap. So the neck on this one is not interchangeable although all the other parts are.

Forum Member
    MIJ...metric measurements. May be the reason. The strat I have must have been made fir the Japanese market because it looks just like my Japanese Fenders from the 80`s. Could even have been made in the same factory on the same machines by the same folks... just slap a different sticker on the headstock.

sneaky them lawsuit models

some of them lawsuit models look alot like the REAL THING but maybe i like being curious i just couldnt figure out bruce lee on a guitar
    maybe its the bruce lee guitar endorsement dealership in osaka japan

i think bro 71818 maybe your strat might be that laurie type almost exact strat type i mentioned in one of my old postings because my old highschool friend ex band member danny burdocks had this gorgeous stratocaster copy to me it looked exactly like a strat but i remember the neck mounting plate was a little more spaced in as opposed to any of my real strats

i even remember giving him one of my bridge stratocaster 62 pickups
    because i had iinstalled a 58 gibson bridge humbucker i got as a trade off dfor repairing my friends es 335 58 or 59 gibson guitar i still have that humbucker

my friend installed my 62 strat brige pickup instantly into his laurie strat no mods etc it fit like a glove but his strat copy guitar was a overseas one it was basically a stratocaster that said laurie on the headstock where the spaghetti fender logo would be placed
    whas new 71818 ?
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew

Re: sneaky them lawsuit models

Originally posted by LOU
    whas new 71818 ?
    I just finished my latest project: A 1930's art-deco Philco radio cabinet that I chopped down from 3 ft. tall to about 2 ft., refinished it, put new grillcloth in, dropped a 10" speaker & an old Bogen tube amp in it; & it smokes!

Forum Member
    not sure if the parts are interchangeable or not... never tried.

Forum Member
    Hey 71818, um...that's not necessarily a good thing to say about yer amp. Old Vox AC100 heads used to do the same thing and they inspired the Who to use smokebombs. ;)

TFF Stage Crew
    It smokes but not literally!

Originally posted by lasher
    that appears to be an after the "lawsuit" headstock, made in japan (probably) and a 61,000 yen guitar. from my limited knowledge that's what i deduce. i think the bruce lee thing is just a decal or sticker.
    heyy lasher
    i didnt kno if it was a aftermarket decal or a factory limited qty guitar

where does bruce fit the picture
    lol

lou
    guitarnoise2002
    @hotmail.com
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS