Thread: Finally bonded with my Texas Specials

Finally bonded with my Texas Specials

I have a SRV Strat that I like the neck on, but I've never been that fond of the pickups. Today I plugged it into my Brownface VV clone and they are nice and chimey. I can really get into this sound. I have a tele set of these in my AM Dlx Tele that I'll have to try through it next.

Re: Finally bonded with my Texas Specials

that's cool, sometimes you've gotta mix things up some to get it right.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I really like the Texas Specials. I was about to blow some serious cash on a set of boutique pickups, when I decided to give these a try first. I'm glad I did, and probably saved myself a lot of money. So far, for single coils, I'm discovering that my fav pups are still from Fender.

I now have 2 strats, with one Fat 50s loaded and one Texas Specials loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    I really like the Texas Specials. I was about to blow some serious cash on a set of boutique pickups, when I decided to give these a try first. I'm glad I did, and probably saved myself a lot of money. So far, for single coils, I'm discovering that my fav pups are still from Fender.

I now have 2 strats, with one Fat 50s loaded and one Texas Specials loaded.
    I have three strats, one with CS 69 pickups that I love, another with GF 60s repos that I like and then the SRV with the CS Texas Specials. Out of the three the CS TS were my least favorite. There is something about this amp and guitar combination just makes these pickups come alive.

I never cared for the Texas Specials or Fat '50s that I had back when I was primarily using blackface Fender amps. Now that I'm using mainly a tweed Deluxe clone and a Mesa/Boogie, both of which are quite a bit more mid heavy, I'd like to re-visit them.

I'm a very different player using very different equipment than I was back then!

I think Texas Specials are an acquired taste. In the 90s everyone thought they were the nuts and so many of the CS guitars of the day (including 50s and 60s vintage style) came with them.

We were playing a bunch of pop and rock back then but when I got back into doing things where we are considered a "Musical Act" rather than just another "Band" the sound did not cut it for me anymore. Too middle of the road try to make me sound like a blues hero kind of tone. Nothing wrong with that but getting into Funk, playing lots of Motown and Soul with some Fusion mixed in, the sound that really shines in the sense of CS pickups are the Fat 50s, and even the CS 60s PUs.

Once you have pushed these through a nice rig at gig volumes, man I tell you, the weakness of the Texas Specials start to show.

Just my experience.....y'all understand?
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    I think Texas Specials are an acquired taste. In the 90s everyone thought they were the nuts and so many of the CS guitars of the day (including 50s and 60s vintage style) came with them.

We were playing a bunch of pop and rock back then but when I got back into doing things where we are considered a "Musical Act" rather than just another "Band" the sound did not cut it for me anymore. Too middle of the road try to make me sound like a blues hero kind of tone. Nothing wrong with that but getting into Funk, playing lots of Motown and Soul with some Fusion mixed in, the sound that really shines in the sense of CS pickups are the Fat 50s, and even the CS 60s PUs.

Once you have pushed these through a nice rig at gig volumes, man I tell you, the weakness of the Texas Specials start to show.

Just my experience.....y'all understand?
    So Erock are you taking English lessons from Phantoman now? lol

I felt the same way about these pickups until I heard them through the VV and now I love them. They may be a one amp PU but they really sound great through that one amp.

I am really happy to hear that wingnut. A good match is a beautiful thing. My Rio Grande pups seem to be pretty universal with amps.

My Knopfler sig Strat comes with Texas Specials as standard & even after a few years of playing it I think the physically low B & high G pole pieces are badly balanced for today's unwound G strings. I have to use compression to get a better balance.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

I bought a set of Texas Special pickups and they had a rectangular magnet on the back of them.
    While installing them I noticed the wire on one of the pickups had somehow broken. I ended up buying
    another set. This time there were no magnets on the back of the pickups. Has anyone heard of this and
    know what is going on? I bought both sets on eBay and to this day I'm not really sure what kind of pickups are in my guitar.

The first ones were fakes.

Texas specials look like this:

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Texas Specials are like any other pup-------you gotta marry them with the right setup.I have had good results with them.
    I always thought it was funny---alot of blues "purists" who would diss the Texas Special pups would run through a Tube Screamer to make their stock pups sound like Texas Specials.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

If I remember correctly SRV was the player who made TS popular. Didn't he play them through a VV? I like really chimey Strats and that has been what disappoints me about these pickups through most amps, but through this VV they have great chime.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    Nothing wrong with that but getting into Funk, playing lots of Motown and Soul with some Fusion mixed in, the sound that really shines in the sense of CS pickups are the Fat 50s, and even the CS 60s PUs.

Not tries the TS at those volumes, though they are in an ash/maple strat, and they sound great through my PRRI.

I have tried the fat 50s thru loud volumes, and you're right, they shine. They outshone my other guitar at that time that was loaded with Big Dippers.

I plugged my Am Dlx Tele with TS into the amp today and it sounds great as well.

Death to corksniffers!

"My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I've tried a LOT of pickups over the years, various Kinmans, CS '69s, Tex Mex, Texas Specials but the my pickup of choice for my strats are the Fat 50s.
    A quick run down on my opinions on the various pickups.

Fender Tex Mex(came standard in my JV strat)
    Good medium quality pu's. A little too "middy" for my taste and. Hi mids really pronounced. Didnt respond the way I liked, a bit cheap sounding.

CS'69s
    Nice pickups, responsive but a bit bright. Also they were really noisy even after shielding my strat. I wanted the RWRP on the middle pickup too.

Texas Specials
    Has been a while since I had them installed but didnt like the middle/bridge. Liked the neck pickup a lot though. Have a TS as neck pu along with fat 50s in the middle/bridge on my JV strat.

fat 50s
    Work great on my JV strat and '84 Japanese strat. Worked best at gigging volumes with my 50W Plexi/JCM 900 cab and is really nice with my devilles too. Pretty quiet too with a nice spank to them. The hum cancelling in posns 2/4 is great too.