Thread: CS '69 Strat Pups vs 2009 Am Std

Forum Member

CS '69 Strat Pups vs 2009 Am Std

Hey,
    Let me begin by saying my '09 Am Std is the nicest feeling, playing, & sounding Strat I've ever had... and I've had many.
    When I ordered it, I also ordered a set of '69 Custom Shop pups as that was my era and, I figured I'd be replacing the OE pups immediately. Wow... was I wrong!

Anyways, the OE pups are a keeper (for the 1st time in 40 years)... I will not change them out! They absolutely love my 100 watt Marshall and equally love my DeVille. Fender must have hot-rodded them somewhat from older versions of American Standards.

Today, I pre-wired a new pickguard to try these '69CS'ers out in my Am Std. Three hours later, I am just plain stinkin' blown away by their tone. I know my Hendrix medley has a bit more credibility to it.
    They are not better than the 2009 stock pups - they are just very different in a totally satisfying way.

I can't say with any certainty that these pickups sound like when I was 18 and doing the Cream/Hendrix thing. Something just put a grin on my face and made me go down memory lane...

I will now be searching for Fender bodies and necks to load this pre-wired pickguard in.
    There is one negative!
    Fender gives you countersunk pickup screws... guess what... the pickguards are only countersunk for mounting screws - minor hassle, but the countersink cost me $15.00.

Re: CS '69 Strat Pups vs 2009 Am Std

you could also just go to the hardware store and buy some 6-32 screws. usually 2 bucks for a bag of 15.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I've got some extra screws from a set of DiMarzio pickups. They're chrome panhead (round) phillips -- same pitch and diameter as OEM Fender, just a skosh longer than stock. Yours for the asking.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Thanks for the tip and offer! The job's been done... I always wanted me one of these countersink gadgets.

they come in really handy around the shop, alls ya need now is a unibit.

forgot to say congrats. it's nice when you get some gear you like.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I was at a Guitar Center last year and they had a set of 69 CS pickups for $90 (how could I refuse?). I ended up finding a nice MIM strat and we did the whole pickguard swap thing. It's a smokin' guitar!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I was thinking about getting a set of CS 69's. Is the middle pup RW/RP? I read somewhere that someone had hum in all 5 switch positions.
    The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

Mine are dead quiet.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Ive lusted after CS69 pickups since i heard them on a strat in a shop a few years ago however they cant beat the ones i have in my strat.

Yea I've been wanting to try a set myself, I may just order a set now..

I lucked out - I found a set on a closeout at Guitar Center for $90. I didn't even have a Strat at the time, but I knew I was going to eventually get one.

I just picked up a used set for $75.00 us off CL! The guy said they where too hot for him. So I pulled the GFS 60's repro's ( BTW The GFS are hotter pups ) outta my MIM 60's strat all I got to say is WOW these pup's deliver in spades. Nice rich clear high's thumping low's harmonics are much more defined to they have it all turned a great guitar into a somkin axe. I think they going in my MIJ strat next string change I wanna see how they sound in that.

Thanks for the head's up!

Forum Member

The middle pup is not RWRP so you won't get noise canceling in positions 2 and 4 but they are no noisier than other pups. However, periodically you can find a RWRP CS69 or order one from the CS. I'm in the process of adding a fourth CS69 pup to my Am Std and wiring it so that I can pair it with any of the three other pups.

You fellas find them a bit unbalanced? The neck pup seem's a bit louder than the other two pickups I dunno maybe I have them installed backwards?

I put a set In my parts-o-caster that I made and realy like them in the neck and middle, for the bridge poss. I placed an older vintage reissue ('57-'62) in it because off the higher output and better balance, the CS '69s are all the same and the ballance is better with a some what higher output in the bridge, the neck is still the loudest which is normal and the pick-up hight should be the lowest to compensate for this, I realy like the set in my strat now like this and I have the tone control on the neck and bridge with the middle wide open!

The CS 69s are my favorite Strat pickup. They have such beautiful bell like tones and quack. I have a set in my Am Dlx Strat and I just love them.
    Last edited by wingnut1; 08-26-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    The CS 69s are my favorite Strat pickup. They have such beautiful bell like tones and quack. I have a set in my Am Dlx Strat and I just love them.
    1+

+1 for quack !!

Forum Member

I got a set of CS69s to put in an 84 japanese strat.

Definitely nicer than the existing pickups(obviously) but I was never quite happy with them. I eventually went with a set of Fat 50s and have never looked back. Have them in my 2 strats now, 84 jap(rosewood) and 2001 Jimmie Vaughan(maple neck). Also the middle pup is reverse wound, pretty reasonable too on ebay..

Forum Member

I've got a set of the lefthanded '68 reissue ones in a lefty MIM (I play lefty). When I saw them about 5 years ago they were so cheap I had to call Fender to verify they were real, even though they were from Musicians Friend. They said they were basically the same as a CS69 but lefthanded. Overstock from some discontinued Hendrix tribute model or something. I love these pickups. Sound/feel like an old Strat I used to have.