Thread: Old Mustang

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Old Mustang

I met a guy on the train last summer who has an old fender mustang that has seen better days. I think it was his father's. I only recently was able to see it in person and get pictures of it.

It's got a huge dent, a big crack that goes half way down the body (it almost threatens to break off the upper horn 1/3 of the body- but not structural), a frozen pot, missing bridge parts, veneer style rosewood fretboard, missing nut, missing fender decal makes me think refinish, oh and someone hacked two humbuckers into it. It's grimy and sad, and I'd like to get more info so I can help him get it back into shape. What might that cost?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Re: Old Mustang

My first thought is that restoring it will cost more than the finished product is worth but you can give it a regeneration that's affordable. It's a refin because they never came in a natural finish as far as I know from that era. Authentic period replacement pieces will probably cost too much so modern replacements are a more affordable choice. You need to replace the pickguard, pickups, and pots. The 3 way switches are probably very funky by now and should probably be replaced too. A new pickguard can be cut by hand and strat type pickups will work so you can save a few bucks there. There's a modern replacement for the bridge and tremolo bar available. The bushings on the tuners are missing too. Looks like it needs a fret job but that can be done when the nut is replaced. Maybe they only need to be dressed and crowned. If you can get the body work done the rest should be easily doable.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Depends on how much of the work you will do yourself.
    If it were me, and what I did to that 61 Jazzmaster...800 to a thousand for starters.
    That's fretwork, painting, hardware (pickups and bridge), setup.

Thnaks all. the frets could be refreshed but they would be a little low.

I'd probably do it all myself (minus body crack repair) if that's what the owner wants. Are the bridge and tail piece available separately, and is it worth it to reuse the current tail piece due to differences in quality of construction?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

Angela Instruments turned out to be a great source for parts.
    Ascertain the date and happy shopping!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Break out the broom and dustpan and be sure to pack a lunch (several of them, in fact)!

It's not a goner -- yet. But it's close to being too far down the drain for even the Tidy Bowl man to rescue.

Start with a complete disassembly (what we'd call in the service a "detail strip") and see what remains usable and what's shot. Then start totalling up the costs for the replacement parts. If/when you reach $1000, walk away.

I've seen nice original-and-playable Mustangs on the bay (with original H/S case) for as low as $1100.

YMMV, etc
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Break out the broom and dustpan and be sure to pack a lunch (several of them, in fact)!

It's not a goner -- yet. But it's close to being too far down the drain for even the Tidy Bowl man to rescue.

Start with a complete disassembly (what we'd call in the service a "detail strip") and see what remains usable and what's shot. Then start totalling up the costs for the replacement parts. If/when you reach $1000, walk away.

I've seen nice original-and-playable Mustangs on the bay (with original H/S case) for as low as $1100.

YMMV, etc
    Thanks! It's always good to know a budget cap. My original low estimate with out a screwdriver and internet connection on had at the time was $300. No way is this guy gonna put $1000 into it because at that point (knowing him) he'd go out and get a Les Paul.

It's also nice to know that it's too far gone to have to worry about tip-toeing around the things that should be kept original.

Oh and thanks for the info about Angela Instruments. I also found grguitars.com has many usful parts as well.

So far the parts list comes to about $140. This is a rough estimate based on what I know right now while using the cheapest parts. Things seem to be looking up as many mustang parts don't seem to be going for all that much moolah.
    Last edited by Jonnda; 01-02-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member

If'n it were mine I'd be getting only the parts needed to make 'er playable now.

A set of bushes, a nut, the missing bridge parts and some strings.

Then I'd put 'er together and see what's really up.

From there I'd change any worn out pots, jack and switches.

This would give me a chance at getting to know her prior to dropping big coin.

If she can be set up to play decently as is then and only then would I opt to continue.

At that point I'd continue to play 'er and then decide if I wanted to continue to collect the parts necessary to restore her.

Taking time to collect parts is always cheaper than trying to purchase them from dealers. I've seen lots of Mustang parts from private sellers over the years that bring next to nothing.

I would be interested in knowing if those pups are old T-Tops,or maybe even PAFs.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by refin View Post
    I would be interested in knowing if those pups are old T-Tops,or maybe even PAFs.
    That is a good point, but with out a screwdriver at the time of my visit to look at the back I would not be able to tell you.

If the pickups were amazing as is, and if the owner wanted to keep it as a bucker ax then great! Or if he wanted it to look more original as a single coil ax, and we find the p'ups are quite valuable- then the sale of such p'ups fund the refurbishing of the guitar.

BTW, How do you tell (or guess) T-tops without taking the cover off? It seems like a catch 22. In order to tell if they are t-tops you take the cover off, but that hurts the value right? but they are of little value anyway if you can not prove they are t-tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda View Post
    BTW, How do you tell (or guess) T-tops without taking the cover off? It seems like a catch 22. In order to tell if they are t-tops you take the cover off, but that hurts the value right? but they are of little value anyway if you can not prove they are t-tops.
    Well,T-Tops (the GOOD ones) have a patent no. sticker on the bottom.........about the same size as a PAF sticker.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

MY JAMS--

T-Top stickered.
    I have a pair of these,incredibly warm and stinging highs at the same time.

http://vintagecheckout.smugmug.com/R...1_Q8qXF/Medium

MY JAMS--

I'm not sure when I'll get to see it again. I think the next time I'll see him is in may because I have to go back to school in ohio soon. I will keep the forum updated when I get to take her apart.