Thread: how much/often do you practice?

how much/often do you practice?

I'm curious!

(indicate if you gig, get paid, do studio work, etc etc)

EDIT: by practice I'm including jamming, improv, mindless strumming, etc.

I think I probably practice about 1-2 hours at a time, 3 times a week-ish. This is after not playing for an entire year while traveling, so I'm still rusty.
    Last edited by CzarSketch; 12-31-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Re: how much/often do you practice?

I play almost everyday though I seldom "practice". I do it because I'm a fan of electric guitar and the blues more than anything else. I think about it all day (don't tell my family!) and seldom miss a day.

I play in a band that "jams" every week rather than "rehearses".

When we get close to a "gig" (unpaid BBQ, benefit, party, blues jam, etc...), I load our sets into my Tascam Guitar Trainer and practice. At the same time, our jam sessions become rehearsals.

Every day till lately just have not been interested dunno why I go through phases . My band broke up last november so no paid gigs in the last few months. I do attend a blues jam once or twice a month. Im gonna force myself to play more I do love it frees my mind.

Every day that I am able.
    Anywhere from 2 hours to 5!

I'm old and half broken down (46 years old), so it takes an hour to really warm up.
    I'll do scales, chords, arpeggios...new riffs.
    And play along to whatever comes on the radio or fiddling with youtube etc.

I'm strictly a home wanker that might do an open mic every once in a while.

I dont practice anymore either. Not because Im good, but because even though Im not I can still make the sound I want to most of the time.

No band, gigs or anything like that. Just me and the ipod.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Between 2-4 hrs I steal licks and noddle with the blues radio station, and play a couple of gigs a month, I am 60 so I have to strengthen the things I can do. I don't practice properly according to most instruction books. I tend to agree with them ( the instruction books ). LOL
    Jerry

2-3 hrs per week (usually) including weekly 'jam' session
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

WEll I used to play a good 2-3 or 4 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. Nowadays it's more like 30 or 45 minutes a day, 1 day a week? I need to do something about that.

I am lead guitar for four performing bands with two more developing (one of these being a jazz trio), I host an open mic, I regularly attend and support another open mic, and will be in the studio soon doing originals written with a singer. Even with rehearsals and concert schedule, I pick up the guitar several times a day and "practice" for hours at a time. I always like to just play until I learn something new. That approach has served me well for over 40 years of guitar playing - don't practice, just play 'til you learn something new.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=790872

1988 Strat Plus
    2007 Deluxe Reverb
    2005 Ibanez AF75
    1980 Sigma/Martin DM-18

Forum Member

I have paid gigs 1-2 times a month and also perform with a group of students monthly (sometimes they get paid, too!). I try to practice at least an hour a day, every day I can get my hands on any guitar. I'll pick up a fake book and play it cover to cover, yes, it takes longer than an hour.

As said before, when a paid gig approaches, the band gets together and group practice becomes more focused.

Over the holidays, the wife and I visited with our boys. Although I didn't bring a guitar, I knew there were several at their place. I was polite and didn't ask...for two whole days, before I broke out the kid's Taylor and tuned it up, playing Christmas songs.

It's like a day without sunshine if I don't get to play.

Mark

i play everyday, the length of time depends. but when i do play at home it's on acoustic guitar, learning new songs. i get paid to play, and that's on bass. i normally play 1 or 2 times a week. in the past i used to practice bass quite a bit, especially in college when i was studying upright. but anymore i just learn songs and then play live. i make it up as i go along on bass, not to sound like an a hole, but that's how i do it. i have the style i play, i know the licks that are in the songs. but more often than not i just simplify the part and play it pretty straight. it's real nice to nail parts down, but if you're the only one doing it in the band then you sound like the asshole. also, the bands i play in twist the parts a little, you take them and make them your own. by now we know how the others plays, so we just roll and let it rock.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

what is practice?

I'm just a home duffer with a couple of small kids (who hasn't been paid to play in more than 30 years). For a couple of decades I used to aimlessly wank along to the radio or a CD.

Then I found the JamZone here and across the hall at the LPF, which is far more active. That has kept me playing, coming up with melodies and sounds that work, and honing my recording chops for years now. Imho, my playing has advanced substantially thanks to the near constant "directed" problem solving, the fresh creative outlet and the encouragement of my online jamming peers out there on the interweb.

Basically, I'm now an addict and record 2 or 3 new things a week, wherever the backing tracks take me: blues, funk, rock, jazz and a host of hybrids. Before I started, I was a pretty limited player who could do passable blues. Now I'm a pretty limited player who can do a whole lot more. And it's more fun for me than playing along to the radio (though I still do that).

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    (who hasn't been paid to play in more than 30 years)
    I started playing in 1971 and have yet to get paid more than pizza and beer for a "gig"!

I play in a band at least once a week and we play for an audience whenever we can, though!

I used to play out 3-4 times a week and practiced all the time everyday for many years *SIGH*

But then I got married and....

Now I play in a band that rehearse's twice a month and gigs maybe 1-2 times a month. We could gig more but I hate dealing with scummy Club owners and I'm good with the every other weekend or 1 time a month blow your brain out event. I practice maybe 10-20 hours a week depending on how much free time I get being Husband, Dad and Work. I try to practice eveyday even if it's just noodling in front of the TV.

Well,as a teacher and repairman I play everyday during the week......but strangely,not on weekends unless I'm gigging.
    If a student doesn't show up,I usually take advantage of the 30 minutes and play.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I play in the early morning when everyone is asleep w/ headphones....whenever I can get up. Go to day job... race home turn on the amp and play loud to drum tracks 3 times a week for a before the kids get home. Then I do the dad thing. Also play for the kids to put them to sleep everynight - I fit it in whenever I can.

Im 46 now and got my first guitar just 2 years ago. Playing is just now starting to come together for me. I still get lost on the neck but thats a good thing. I love the tone and I have to make it. I just started making recordings and playing very limited keyboard to layer up with my guitar. Im a visual artist by trade and training. Playing music helps that thinking process.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

I couldn't really call my playing time practice.
    But I've recently heard some stuff that makes me want to put some effort into practicing scales. I'd really like to expand my chord knowlege too.
    I don't gig, but want to get back out and do a bit of the singer-songwriter thing.
    I think freshening up my playing could be a big help in gaining access to ideas I have, and songs I'd like to do.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I play almost everyday though I seldom "practice". I do it because I'm a fan of electric guitar and the blues more than anything else. I think about it all day (don't tell my family!) and seldom miss a day.

I play in a band that "jams" every week rather than "rehearses".

When we get close to a "gig" (unpaid BBQ, benefit, party, blues jam, etc...), I load our sets into my Tascam Guitar Trainer and practice. At the same time, our jam sessions become rehearsals.
    Pretty much the same for me, with sporadic episodes of "clayville-ness" (recording, getting ideas down, backing tracks, etc).

DD

Gravity Jim

Like refin, I play every day, but what I'm practicing is usually related to a production... getting a certain part down or something. SOmetimes, warming up I play just for fun. But on weekends, I almost never play at all.

I have been a musician since I was a kid (started on piano) and I have played guitar for a little more than 45 years. I retired from bar gigs about 5 years ago although I occasionally do the odd one. I still do studio work and teach guitar. Just bought a DR because my SR was too big for church.

I play almost every day. A lot of that is actual practising, such as working out finger strategies for single note improvisation or working out fingerstyle arrangements for standards. I am retiring in 12 working days and plan to do more rigorous practising every afternoon.

At the very least, one should play every day, even if it is just goofing around on an unplugged electric while watching the news (annoys the hell out of the wife).
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Forum Member

One thing I can offer as a ceramic and glass artist - once you set up expectations, long term goals or the desire for $$, on what you are doing you better be ready for the fun to go out of it.

I play for fun and try to keep it that way - 'practice' can end up like work if you loose your true desire to learn. I expect nothing from my playing but to entertain myself.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

I try to practice for a couple of hours every night, but sometimes it's more of a battle against my own lack of dexterity ( short stumpy fingers) and basic absence of any real talent. I play because it's something that I "have to do" and I try to extend myself but often find I'm spending 50 minutes playing along to a regular repertoire of backing tracks ( not that I find them all "easy" even after repeated practice). After that my fingers have usually had enough. I seem to be developing a bit of tendon trouble as I've got older & that doesn't help.
    Having said all that, I do it entirely for my own amusement and I get a great deal of pleasure from it when I get it right !( oops, can I say that? )
    Last edited by Direstraits; 02-01-2010 at 01:37 PM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I play professionally in two bands -- 6 to 8 gigs a month -- and I do some occasional session work for a local studio that produces ad jingles for broadcast radio.

On non-gig days I play my guitar two to three hours daily, sometimes more if I'm working on new arrangements for either band's playlist. Full band rehearsals two to three times a week.

It's important to me that I bring my "A" game to any venue for which I'm being paid. I have a responsibility to my band mates and to the audience who is "paying the freight".
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."