Thread: DiMarzio AreaHotT feedback

Forum Member

DiMarzio AreaHotT review

Ash Deluxe Tele user here with a short story primarily intended for whoever is considering changing their bridge SCN...

I have been growingly unhappy with the stock SCN bridge pickup having ringy attack and being a little too scooped in the midrange and decided to try the new-ish DiMarzio DP421 Area Hot T. I LOVE the neck SCN BTW.
    A few tech notes to begin with: the SCN clearly is superior to the DiMarzio in terms of build quality, it is very clean and looks literally gorgeous (didn't think p/ups could), to support the quality standpoint even further I can also confidently say its hum-cancelling capability BY FAR exceeds the replacement. You'll may notice (I did) the DiMarzio's GREEN wire needs to be your hot wire for it to stay in phase with the neck p/up.
    To keep this short > the new p/up took the sound very much where I personally wanted it to be. There's now more tone (read "more mids") much less string high end ring upon attack and about equal bass even though due to flatter highs some people will probably call it more bassy. Overall output stayed about the same, maybe a touch hotter. Again, it puts out a good deal more hum.
    Dirty clean/crunch sounds was where the SCN was giving me the hardest time as its already aggressive attack was even accentuated and I can certainly consider this department fixed now with not too much impact on my clean sound (cleans still sound very tasty to me). Not sure how many of you guys use downright distorted sounds but I can see a great deal of improvement there as well, chords lost the shrill and single notes, at least to me, are a lot thicker and fun to play.
    Last note > the pickup shows a very nice balance with the neck SCN which was a great relief as that was my biggest concern ordering the new p/up.
    I hope I helped. Rock on...
    Last edited by Hyk; 01-02-2010 at 09:35 AM.