Thread: Don Rich question

Don Rich question

What position did Don usually play? I think it was almost always the bridge pup, right? From the youtubes I find, that seems to be the case. I'm thinking of getting a Don Mare bridge pup and a TV Jones for the neck of my Squier. I think that might be heaven. Bigbsy to follow?

Re: Don Rich question

just from using my ears and listening to the old LP's i have it seems like he's usually locked onto that bridge posish. i'm sure he flipped it once in awhile, but it always seems so twangy and great. i especially like to look at the cool nudie suits they used to wear when i listen to the albums. gotta love them old record sleeves.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: Don Rich question

I'd have to agree.
    His sound is textbook super clean bridge pickup, plus Buck made sure those records were mixed to sound good on AM radio.

This is from the Buck Owens Crystal Palace site:
    The records’ unusually bright sound was also by design. Having worked in AM radio, Buck knew its sound properties. He and Ken Nelson mixed his recordings using small speakers to get optimal projection on AM radios and car radios. Those efforts resulted in the clear, distinctive sound on Buck Owens records.

"I cut records for AM radio, and I was always conscious that AM used to have a great big old bottom on it. So I took most of the bass out of the records and put on more high-end – that made ‘em sound cleaner than the others. Ken Nelson agreed. I got a letter one time from a guy in Ohio that had some kind of a radio show, and he said, ‘You know, the records that you guys do there are so crystal-clear. Some people say you’ve got a little black box that you run the tape through.’"
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello