Thread: Refinish shop in NC?

Forum Member

Refinish shop in NC?

I have a Fender Strat from 1979 that needs to be refinished. Anyone know of a reputable shop? Thanks.

Forum Member

Re: Refinish shop in NC?

Quote Originally Posted by jmpman View Post
    I have a Fender Strat from 1979 that needs to be refinished. Anyone know of a reputable shop? Thanks.

What's up with original finish?

Did you plan on going back to the original color(s)?

Forum Member

The original finish was a natural ash but the previous owner sprayed it blue and it's now chipping and you can scratch it off in spots. I just want to get it back to the way it originally looked. I'm getting it refretted now. Would love to find someone local that can do a factory quality job.

Forum Member

If the blue is pealing, why not see how much you can remove without damaging the original finish underneath.

Knowing Fender's penchant for thick poly paint in the 70s you may not need a refin. Once the blue is off you should be able to polish the original finish back to a luster. If you're not feeling confident about it, take it to a professional guitar restoration shop like RS or Lays.

If'n it was painted over the clear they'll most likely be able to help you without a refin. This is the route I'd take before even contemplating a refin.

That guitar is valuable and becoming more so with each passing year. It will always be worth much more with the original finish. Even if it's only a few specs here and there!

As far as refins, Darren Riley is in NC. I don't have any first hand experience with him, but he did a Strat for an acquaintance I traded some gear with.

It was a nice job. I didn't ask what he paid.

I do have first hand knowledge of both RS Guitarworks (Winchester KY) and Lays Guitars (Akron OH).

They both do excellent work.

If it were me I'd call Roy at RS and ask him about removing the blue and restoring the finish (that's hopefully) underneath.

Forum Member

That's the problem, some of the actual finish is gone, you can actually feel the wood of the guitar. I have actually spoken to Darren and he seems like a very nice guy, did not know that he did that kind of work after all this time. Thanks and I will call him or the other person you'd recommended.