Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Un-effing believable (part II)

Un-effing believable (part II)

Last edited by bonefish; 11-30-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Re: Un-effing believable (part II)

no offense, but they pay you by check? i only accept cash for what i do, for bouncing and tax reasons.

bummer to hear man, cut your loses now. once a thief always a thief.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Is she a hot thief? Seriously, chick singers have always given me trouble. Always get paid in C A S H. Sorry to hear.
    Remember! It is the indian, not the arrow! Although the arrow can help.

Bad news BF.

Hop on the bus Gus.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

I am sure she has an explanation as wrong as it will be. Shit can her.
    Jerry

That sucks. Time to part ways. It's also probably a good idea to get the word out about this chick in the local band scene. See if she ever finds people willing to play with her again.
    s'all goof.

That sucks! Big time!

As the leader of my band, Johnny B. & the MVP's - since my name is on the label - I figure that they guys are playing to support my music and therefore it's only right for me to make sure that they get paid their share before me, and if the money falls a bit short, then it should be me who takes the hit...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Wholly shit.

What a rotten dirty business...

I was almost in a band where someone thought that they deserved at least 50% of the band share for starting the band and owning the PA. It was a small cheapo powered PA with 2 cheap 12" monitors. We would be allowed to split up the 50% between the remaining three people.

He seemed to geniunly believe that was fair. So I said, if that is the case for every $400 each that we make we (three) only make @ $65 each and you make $200.

He didn't see the problem. "It's my PA eqiptment" -yeah, that's not worth $200 on it's own!

So I put it this way, hoping he sees the desparity. "

If the band makes $1,200 for a show, you get $600 and we each get $200".

"Yeah, but I started the band -and it's my PA"

I don't think the other guys stuck around either. I'm not in this for the money, but I'm not in it to make money for someone else either.

It's one thing if you own $1,000s of equiptment, are doing all the work, are the front man/woman and I'm just a sideman. Then you tell me what the gig pays.

I'm like Rickenjangle though, if it was "my band" I would be the last person paid and make sure everyone is taken care of first.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Bad news man......

I do 98% o four booking and I am not real good at it, but keep us working. I take 25% as do each of us. Drummer has the PA and every now and then we kink him extra for the trailer/gas......two guitar guys provide vocals and great guitar.....in all......equal shares....

I sometimes take the hit if something goes bad, but try to split it most of the time.

This is just bad form on her part - sorry man.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    He seemed to geniunly believe that was fair. So I said, if that is the case for every $400 each that we make we (three) only make @ $65 each and you make $200.

He didn't see the problem. "It's my PA eqiptment" -yeah, that's not worth $200 on it's own!
    Maybe you should've said: "Fine. We'll do that until your PA gear's paid for. Then I'll take 50 percent until my guitars and amps are paid for. Then the drummer will take 50 percent until his kit's paid for. Then the bass player...."

I think the "I started the band" thing could hold some water -- but only if the band was very well established and very successful when the rest of the current lineup came along. Whoever plays drums for R.E.M. since Bill Berry quit probably doesn't get as big a percentage as the rest of the band. If everybody quit but Peter Buck, and he got new guys to replace Stipe and Mills, I'd expect Buck to get a bigger cut than everyone else in the band. But even then...50 percent for one guy is kinda ridiculous.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Women are Evil.

Last band I was in the Lead Singer did all kinds of stuff that pissed me off including taking an extra cut but not telling anyone. I was so miserable in that band, glad I left.

She did have nice Boobies. It was kinda hard to stay mad at her when you where looking at that rack all the time. Thinking with my cheese-dick.

"It was kinda hard to stay mad at her when you where looking at that rack all the time"

I am confident she was well aware of this
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Print this thread out and show it to her?

Might want to edit out the boobies parts tho.

O yes she was aware. She loved the attention and she would stare back at you with those bedroom eyes. Made you temporarily forget how evil she was/is.

I think your statement should be amended to read "People can be evil". This particular woman was. But don't brand the entire gender based on this one.
    s'all goof.

Was there ever any discussion about band income and how it would be used?

Last edited by Totally bored; 11-24-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Hey, why not get as many of the band members on your side before the gig, and make the announcement from the stage at the end of the gig. Kind of a "blow it up in their face" thing. But then, I do sort of have this vengeful side.
    Good luck, hope you can find some honorable folks for the next band.

I would suggest biting the lip,being professional,and parting ways---------they know why you are doing it.I wouldn't do anything antagonistic.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

taking the 'high road' is usually best in the long run

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I once played in a band with a guy who thought he'd 'charge' the band a little extra because we stored the PA gear in his garage.

I then told him what my rate was for transporting his PA in my vehicle, and that I didn't 'roadie' for anyone for free.

Band politics suck. People get egomaniacal. They feel that their role warrants more money, more credit, more attention..etc. It's a collective effort, or at least it should be.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

I've never played in a band for money. Bands, for me, are just for fun and I've only ever played with friends. The friendship and fun come looooong before any of the piddling money we've made.

However, in a situation where the money is pre-eminent, I wouldn't play without a written, signed contract. Such a thing is legally-binding if it ever comes to that. If someone balks at having a contract, I wouldn't want to play with them. Their word may be good, but an oral contract is hard to prove and enforce.
    s'all goof.

In our band, we each get 15 percent (there's 6 of us), and the person who booked the show gets the remaining 10 percent. The price is known by all band members up front and weeks (sometimes months) in advance. If we book a show for less than our 'minimum', it is agreed upon by all band members before the booking is finalized. The venue manager (or booking party) signs a contract for services at the time of the booking.

Point is, take care of business in a business like manner, and things will run smoother.

Back to the topic, how are you aware that the singer is skimming off the top? Was this something you witnessed or something you heard? The answer should determine the next course of action.

Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

So this whole emotional episode was over $20 per gig? You gotta be kidding.

And honestly, it reads to me like she was fronting and doing the booking so she might be worth the extra scratch.

Let me break it down for ya'll. Unless you are in a surf band, the guitar player is a sideman. Always has been, always will be. Just show up on time with good gear and knowing your stuff. Play, take the dough and say "thank you". Honor your commitments and if you leave a band, it should be a business deal and not all about "the principle of the thing".

And universally, when you have a chick fronting - be prepared to put up with a lot of crap.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Let me break it down for ya'll. Unless you are in a surf band, the guitar player is a sideman. Always has been, always will be. ".
    Umm... NO.

I am the Star. When I arrive at the gig the bass player will promptly go to my car, grab my gear , set it up and do a quick soundcheck. If he don't tune my guitar right he gets smacked around a bit. This will be in my contract.

While this is all taking place, The Drummer will gently get a warm soapy bath to wash my feet. Nothing like performing with clean feet.

At the end of the Nite the Bass player will neatly pack up all my gear and gently place it all in my vehicle and he better not forget to polish my Guitars to get rid of all my Man Sweat.

If I'm not the singer/Guitarist of the band that nite then the singer will promptly acquire a Pint of Beer and a shot of Jack Daniels as to get my Star Mojo working properly.

The sound guy will then take my order for a meal and make sure it is served warm with the right amount of condiments and cutlery.

Dude. I'm the Star.

( I may have forgotten a few things so feel free to add to the list )

..and if I see any brown M&Ms.... well, I just better not see any. Capice?
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Last edited by bonefish; 11-30-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

So she was making $200 to everyone else's $100...not fair at all - even booking agents don't get that much...So her performance fees were 20 percent of the gross and her booking fees were also? talk about double-dipping!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Let me break it down for ya'll. Unless you are in a surf band, the guitar player is a sideman. Always has been, always will be. Just show up on time with good gear and knowing your stuff. Play, take the dough and say "thank you".
    Thanks for breaking it down for us, OSA. I don't think it's always that simple though. Just because you're holding the microphone doesn't make you:

1) the hardest worker in the band

2) the leader of the band

3) the main attraction of the band (I don't care if you have a "nice rack")

4) deserving of more money

Do you think Eddie Van Halen should've taken less pay than Diamond Dave? After all, he was just a sideman, right?

If you want to go on taking less money for each gig than Rickenjangle though, go right ahead. Unless you haven't been, then maybe you owe him some back pay according to your logic.
    Last edited by boobtube21; 11-27-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    Thanks for breaking it down for us, OSA. I don't think it's always that simple though. Just because you're holding the microphone doesn't make you:

1) the hardest worker in the band

2) the leader of the band

3) the main attraction of the band (I don't care if you have a "nice rack")

4) deserving of more money

Do you think Eddie Van Halen should've taken less pay than Diamond Dave? After all, he was just a sideman, right?

If you want to go on taking less money for each gig than Rickenjangle though, go right ahead. Unless you haven't been, then maybe you owe him some back pay according to your logic.

Uh, yes it does. Guitar players are sidemen. Even in VanHalen the guy who the band is named after, arguable one of the greatest guitar players of all time- the band needs a frontman. When DLR left they didn't just go on without him. They hired another fronter., Hey, it's just life. Do you really think the guys backing Reeba are making what she does? Do you think Charlie Crowe makes what Kix does?

Rickenjangle and I played a gig together this summer and we didn't pay the other guitar player what we got. He was there in a supporting role so he got paid less. So precedent is there.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I have been there and it was decided after the gig pissed me off. OSA you are consistent and I believe you would do that, but Rickenjangle? Tell me it isn't so. To sell someone out for twenty dollars.
    Jerry

Uh, yes it does. Guitar players are sidemen. Even in VanHalen the guy who the band is named after, arguable one of the greatest guitar players of all time- the band needs a frontman. When DLR left they didn't just go on without him. They hired another fronter., Hey, it's just life. Do you really think the guys backing Reeba are making what she does? Do you think Charlie Crowe makes what Kix does?
    So, EVH took less money then Roth? I'm confused, you didn't really address my question there...How about this: Who do you think could fill a larger venue after the split, Van Halen with Hagar, or Roth with...himself?

In Reba's case, yes, she is the frontman (er, frontperson ), I don't even know her band member's names, the average person probably doesn't. Another example, Tom Petty I'm certain makes more than the Heartbreakers, sure. And I'm sure most people do know who Mike Campbell, Howie Epstein, et al are. I would think Micheal Jackson always made more than his dancers too.

But my point is that's not always the case. Being the singer does almost guarantee that most people will watch you more than the other players. But--it does NOT guarantee that you are the one people come to watch. It does not guarantee that you are the one people will follow if the band splits up. It does not give you divine right to more money.

If your singer is the main attraction and can get the same gigs with or without you, sure, they can leverage that as far as they can. But they need to do that up front, so the other players have a chance to think about whether or not it's worth it. Not behind their backs, after agreeing on equal pay. That's called STEALING.

Sorry, I just can't abide by the part about, "Play, take the dough and say "thank you". " I don't browbeat easily. If you've assessed after a couple of gigs that

a) your singer is stealing from you

b) the crowd is digging you more than the crappy singer

It's time to demand more money or move on. In situation (a) I'd definitely move on, and you can bet I'd be spreading the word around town.
    Last edited by boobtube21; 11-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Well I don't know if 2 wrongs ever make a right, walk away with dignity and a sense you didn't mess up your Karma.
    Jerry

Then I take it nobody else here is familiar with the term "scale"? Or got paid on a per-song basis?

Scale has nothing to do with a bunch of bar players it's a different game, usually a bunch of friends. I have always been front man and have always split the fees evenly after we pay for sound.
    Jerry

Last edited by bonefish; 11-30-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

You can't assume the pay is equal shares.

All of this stuff needs to be talked about up front. ahead of time. Who booked the gig? Was there a contract? Who gets "paid" for the gig?

If you don't know this stuff, you deserve what you get.

99% of musicians are not smart in the business department. That is why bands don't get paid shit in the first place.

Did she "hire" you or other members of the band to work for her?