Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dallas Rangemaster clone!

Re: Dallas Rangemaster clone!

I finally tried the voltage divider that Strat Cat suggested and it works really well. I put it on a switch so I can switch between 4.5 and 9v. I like it better at the lower voltage.

Forum Member

What voltage do you have on the collector when running it at 4.5V? Did you fiddle with any resistor values to change the bias or did you use the usual 470K, 68K and 3.9K values given in just about every schematic I've ever seen?

Small Bear sent me a tested tranny with resistors to bias it at about 6.9v at the collector! Very cool!

I left it alone and at 4.5v (a bit under, actually), it's about 3.1v at the collector.

Hi Don...good work with the voltage divider.

Would you be interested in sharing the design? I'd love to try it on one of my prototypes. Perhaps sketch?

Anyway...good for you. The exploration to discover what the designer intended is where all the fun is. 9 volts certainly works, but...

Thanks again for allowing me to be involved in the discussion.
    Mandopicker

Quote Originally Posted by Mandopicker View Post
    Would you be interested in sharing the design? I'd love to try it on one of my prototypes. Perhaps sketch?
    Here's a schematic of a voltage divider. If both resistors are the same value (measure them) the voltage will be half. I used 2 10k resistors per Strat Cat's suggestion.

Here's the math-

(I borrowed these pics from the web)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandopicker View Post
    Thanks again for allowing me to be involved in the discussion.
    You kidding? Your input has been invaluable. It led me to try something that I hadn't even thought about.

It's a fun thread when people can get together and figure something out.

Thanks a million. I'll give it a try.

Glad you didn't try to change the stock values...remember...the original design from componant value to voltage needs to be correct to know if this experiment is valid or not.

(That's why I can't figure out how a particular voltage or bias point can be suggested as optimal considering that with a 4.5 volt battery, even the suggested voltage at th collector would be unlikely.)

Also just a little surprised that I found few discussions on the web trying to get to the real core of the design relative to voltage.

Could still be wrong, but I really do think the lower voltage is key to the pedal's tone. (And I think it sounds better too!)

Glad your having fun as well.

BTW: Let me know what happens regarding battery life. I have been reading that this greater resistance will cause the battery to last a much shorter length of time.

Anyway...once again great job and thanks.
    Last edited by Mandopicker; 12-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Mandopicker