Thread: BEST improvement to my 92 MIM Strat is ...

BEST improvement to my 92 MIM Strat is ...

GFS steel trem block. Holy Cow!

The TS pups added some grind, I like them.
    The GraphTech saddles mean I haven't broken a string in a couple years, gotta love that.
    GFS steel trem block and steel arm = Yowza Baby! I am in LOVE!

Note jump out of the guitar with a clarity I've never heard from this guitar through any amp & it sounded awfully good before the block went in. My guitar on 10 into the Pro Jr with both knobs on 4 sounds like a cranked Twin now, just not as loud. Amp on 5 or 6 it's no louder but pure meat & cleans up perfectly with the guitar volume.

My stomps now sound like Boo-Teek UberBuck pedals. Even my wood ear drummer said at last Saturday's gig "I heard you playing stuff I've never heard you play before ...". I wasn't playing much different but I was definitely producing dramatically different sounds that let me sound howling loud without any more volume. This thing cuts through the mix like a laser cannon and sustains like no tomorrow.

Anyone thinking they need to upgrade to a different guitar because their MIM Strat sounds kind of dead - SPEND $20 ON A GFS STEEL BLOCK. The make up your mind.

No comparison, plus the GFS folks are very easy to deal with and ship fast.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Forum Member

Re: BEST improvement to my 92 MIM Strat is ...

I got a Callaham block for my 2007 Deluxe Player and definitely noticed an improvement. I didn't want to spend that kinda money on a block for my 2006 Squier...but I have been tempted by the GFS block. Thanks for the testimonial.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

I'm gonna' hafta' get off my and order one of the GFS blocks.

I've got a hot '54, '58 n Hot Blues set of DiMarzio's that are just hangin' about. I'm thinkin' one of the CV 50s Strats could get the nod as it seems kinda' redundant having two with the same pups, even if they sound good.

By all means. I expected some improvement but not this much.

It's literally like going from a decent solid state tube amp to a tube amp. I'm actually paying more attention to what I do because now there is no hiding behind the grind. It's all music now. I'm really diggin it.

This block sat on my desk for a friggin YEAR. I could kick myself for waiting that long for this much improvement with such little effort and cost. The entire GFS bridge with the steel block & arm is something silly-cheap like $39.

One thing to note - you might (like I did) have to file the trem cavity a little to make room for the block. It's bigger and might rub on the side facing the floor (as you are playing the guitar). Took me maybe 3 minutes to fix by opening up the cavity a little on that side with a file.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Cool! I just need to get a Strat to fit one in now!