Thread: Tele-Red Flags?

Tele-Red Flags?

Need a quick turnaround on this one, fellers. Local Craigslist. Dude has an 08 American Standard Tele. Said he's in need of cash and needs to get rid of this weekend. Listed at $750 due to an imperfection in the finish, and the cap to the 3 way switch is missing. Otherwise, in great shape. Read me the serial number. Checks out. Looks okay from the pics, but you know. Listed for$750, but told me he would let it go for $700 if I bought it this w/e. Even said he'd bring it over for me to try out. Is this guy too eager for this to be legit? I'm going to give it a whirl, but any telltale signs I need to look for an authenticity check? I wouldn't consider myself an expert in calling out Frankentele's. The 08's have some sweet upgrades, so I can spot them. I guess my question is whether any of you have stumbled across a potentially good deal like this, considering it goes for twice as much on the interweb sites. I don't know..sounds a little too good to be true. Any suggestions if it were you? Thanks !!!
    Last edited by MikeP; 10-30-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Re: Tele-Red Flags?

it goes for twice as much on the interweb sites...sounds a little too good to be true.
    Those are red flags to me. Also if he doesn't want you at his house there's the possibility he doesn't want you to be able to find him...but to be fair I don't like inviting strangers into my house either, even if they are there to buy something from me

I guess the most you can do is study up on what the Am Std's have and don't have, what colors they came in, neck shape, fretboard color, radius...etc... and hope for the best.

There's usually no good reason why someone would put something up for sale for half what it's worth though. If he's desperate for cash, why wouldn't he want as close to full price as possible for it??

I don't think it's too uncommon to find gear of any sort listed on Craigslist for half of the new price. When you think about it, a pawn shop would give him one third of the new price, and resale for two thirds of the new price. If the guy needs cash fast, his two options are a pawn shop for less money, or craigslist for half price. To the buyer, it's a better deal to go the craigslist route too, the seller makes more and the buyer spends less than a pawnshop.

Now the real question is, is it hot? If you were astute about writing down the serial, then call the local police and see if it's been reported as stolen. If it has, the police will most likely want you to go through with the deal (with them unknowingly present). If the police give a thumbs up, you've got yourself a great deal, provided it is as advertised and not some sort of fake or falsified Tele.

I have an 08 USA strat, the serial number is in a different location than my '01, the head stock is gloss, but mine had a stadard (old style) case

The new American Standard Telecaster still has the hand-rolled fingerboard edges, alnico V pickups and staggered tuning machines for playability, tone and stability, and now includes great new features including:

* A new bridge with improved bent-steel saddles mounted to a stamped-brass bridge plate for increased resonance and sustain.
    * A new neck treatment—tinted for a richer presentation, with the maple or rosewood fingerboard buffed to a high gloss. The back of the neck still has that silky, comfortable satin finish.
    * A thinner finish undercoat that lets the body breathe and improves resonance.
    * A new Fender-exclusive SKB molded case.

on CL locally, the best offer I had was $700 which I declined (FWIW)
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I don't think it's too uncommon to find gear of any sort listed on Craigslist for half of the new price.
    Me neither, I thought he meant half the price they usually sold for used. THAT would be a little odd.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    Me neither, I thought he meant half the price they usually sold for used. THAT would be a little odd.
    Even at half price it's hard to find serious buyers on CL.

If you watch CL regularly (I don't have the patience for it) you come across some rather good deals if your patient.

Not that I've scored any of them. I have seen them though. Guys start at half new and after a bit of time passes the same ads go up again with lower prices.

If it truly is a must sell situation the price will come down.

Locally, we are lucky to get any more than about 20-25% of new out of the pawn shops for musical equipment. I also don't see nearl the selection of good used quality gear that I used to. Mostly just low end import stuff anymore. I'm thinking most people are ebaying to a larger audience.

That's the main reason I lost interest for CL. You have to go througha ton of ads just to find one decent piece of equipment. It's also probably the reason CL brings less than ebay for the same items.

Could be he's just in a hurry to sell bcause of his economic situation. A lot of people are willing to cut deals these days to get some kind of cash flow happening when things are tight just before the rent is due.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Welp....thanks for the feedback. Wasn't it in Risky Bizness when they said.."Sometimes, you just gotta say what the f....."? Here she is....

Sure is purdy!

nice
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

Definitely a looker.

Sooooo-weeeeeeet!

Paul
    Visit me and my band at: