Thread: HEAVY Bar Tan cleaning question

HEAVY Bar Tan cleaning question

Anybody ever been able remove a massive "bar tan"? It's REAALY dark. It's "everywhere" on the guitar except under guard, bridge, etc (old Tele) and I'm thinking of trying MAYBE 409 with a quick elbowgrease rub, wiped down following with water, then fast towel dry. (I actually got rid of 95% of a feltpen autograph this way on another old Tele). This one being a much "larger" project I thought I'd ask around. I would do a "safe" area first to see what happens. ANY thoughts appreciated.
    Sell me that guitar!

Re: HEAVY Bar Tan cleaning question

Most people prefer leaving it alone as refinishing and/or over cleaning will almost always devalue an antique/collectable.

The discoloration you you are seeing is very likely part of the finish now as the finish actually changes color. You can't just wash it off.

Not sure what a "bar tan" consists of, but if you can't clean it off with Naptha, it's probably there to stay. Anything stronger than Naptha is probably part of the finish itself now.

This is all based upon my interpretation that a "bar tan" might be slang for nicotine discoloration, or it might be another way to describe natural yellowing of the top clearcoat. The nicotine will wipe off, the yellowing of the topcoat won't.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

That's called "mojo", Boburst. People pay big $$$ for it.

My advice -- leave it be.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."