Thread: Dang! i did it again!

Dang! i did it again!

I recently posted on having too many pups, and still went on to buy a set of CS54s.

They were really nice, and I especially enjoyed the neck tones and the in-betweens. But that bridge was bugging me.

I was surfing the evilbay again this morning, and I stumbled across a set of Texas Specials at a nice price.

I clicked "Buy it Now" AGAIN!!!!!

I've since the last post, managed to move my extra CS69s and John Mayers. I also heard some clips online, and wondered why I never bothered trying the TS sets before.

I like the Fat50s very much, and seem a bit lukewarn towards the CS69s and 54s. Those 2 sets don't seem to sound "complete" to me. Something's always missing. The Fat 50s are IT for me, though I'm tempted to replace the middle with the CS54s to see if I can get a more distinct quack. The bridge is a bit icepicky, and it's a pretty scary pup, but it's something I like that can scare my audience when I need to.

But after hearing so many clips, it sounds like I've been hunting for the Texas Specials all along. I won't know until I try them for sure...

Any thoughts?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Dang! i did it again!

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    I recently posted on having too many pups, and still went on to buy a set of CS54s.

They were really nice, and I especially enjoyed the neck tones and the in-betweens. But that bridge was bugging me.

I was surfing the evilbay again this morning, and I stumbled across a set of Texas Specials at a nice price.

I clicked "Buy it Now" AGAIN!!!!!

I've since the last post, managed to move my extra CS69s and John Mayers. I also heard some clips online, and wondered why I never bothered trying the TS sets before.

I like the Fat50s very much, and seem a bit lukewarn towards the CS69s and 54s. Those 2 sets don't seem to sound "complete" to me. Something's always missing. The Fat 50s are IT for me, though I'm tempted to replace the middle with the CS54s to see if I can get a more distinct quack. The bridge is a bit icepicky, and it's a pretty scary pup, but it's something I like that can scare my audience when I need to.

But after hearing so many clips, it sounds like I've been hunting for the Texas Specials all along. I won't know until I try them for sure...

Any thoughts?
    There's no law prohibiting you from doing some "mix and match" experiments using the existing custom sets. I like the Fat 50s on a guitar that I know will sound "bright" in order to enrich the mids and give it some growl. By the same token, I used a set of CS 69s on my 12-string Strat to extract as much "jangle" as possible. As for the TS set, I've never really cared for them -- they seem to have a "metallic" bite that translates to shrill overtones once it hits my speakers. Others do like them though so it's prolly just some idiosyncracy in my amp rig(s). I prefer a warmer, more organic tone. For more quack when using the "in between" positions, try lowering your middle pickup a skosh. It will cost some volume when using the center pickup only but it produces some dramatic tones in positions 2 and 4.

HTH and be sure to post some follow-up to let us know how it goes.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    For more quack when using the "in between" positions, try lowering your middle pickup a skosh. It will cost some volume when using the center pickup only but it produces some dramatic tones in positions 2 and 4.
    I've actually come across a great solution for this. Because I seldom use the middle pick up on it's own (even though it IS one of my fav tones) I tend to do something even more unusual. The position 3 for me is the neck wired in parallel with the bridge. Sort of like a Tele. THAT is an even more usable tone for me than just the middle alone. So, if I do that, there's no problems with volume drop.

Having said that, i've found that the Fat 50s positions 2 & 4 are actually fine when I play the guitar on it's own. Meaning, i don't compare it against something else. The minute I compare it with a CS69 or 54 set, uh oh...

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

That neck + bridge actually sounds like a pretty useful combination, DB.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

wish I had known you were trying to unload a set of big dippers quickly =/ not worth 500 dollars imo.

anyway Im with phantomman on not being a huge fan of the texas specials. if youre inclined to wiring why not wire one of your knobs to be a middle volume and have neck/bridge vol, middle vol and master tone? that should give you a lot of control over your 2 and 4.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

Don't know when they changed the design of Texas Specials but they use to have more windings when they 1st came out. Bridge pup used to be around 7.5kish and many felt they where harsh. The set I have that I purchased around 2 years ago are not as hot. My Bridge pup reads 6.5k. They sound more like 57/62's IMO but with more midrange, YMMV.

Tone is subjective.

I never tried Fat 50's , CS69 or 54's so I have no Idea how they compare.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    That neck + bridge actually sounds like a pretty useful combination, DB.

it's VERY nice, especially with only one tone (usually the neck) rolled off completely... Try it... It's... sublime!

Quote Originally Posted by redb View Post
    if youre inclined to wiring why not wire one of your knobs to be a middle volume and have neck/bridge vol, middle vol and master tone? that should give you a lot of control over your 2 and 4.
    Hmm... That's something i've not tried before! what would work for me is a neck/bridge vol, middle vol, and neck/middle tone.

now why din I think of that?!?!?!!?!

P.S. I can't PM you, can't email... Wanna discuss those big dippers privately?

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    Hmm... That's something i've not tried before! what would work for me is a neck/bridge vol, middle vol, and neck/middle tone.

now why din I think of that?!?!?!!?!

P.S. I can't PM you, can't email... Wanna discuss those big dippers privately?
    well your email is private too D:

anyway you can send me an email any time you like now.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?