Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on this '59 Stratocaster?

Forum Member

Re: Thoughts on this '59 Stratocaster?

Quote Originally Posted by h2oholt View Post
    There is a possibility that a body that was being prepared for the beginning 1960 production run could have been shipped late in the year as a 59 if it was ordered. Remember, they were made right around the corner from at least a dozen guitar shops in a 50-100 mile radius. It could have been given to a pro player who got it right from the factory in late 59 as leo was prone to making sure working musicians had guitars in their hands before anyone else. Many reasons could exist for it to be in the public hands and still have that date and be a 59. It could have gone back to the factory for sometype of work or refin and given that date while it was there. I would have taken offense by the tone if it was mine as well. Not so much the opinion given but the air of superiority given to it. At least he has a vintage instrument to play instead of a WAY overpriced custom shop.
    With all due respect, I can't see any way an all-original 59 guitar could have a 60 date stamp on it. You could argue that all the parts MIGHT have been made in 59, but the guitar itself could not have been assembled until at least FEB 60, and that makes it a 60 model. I can't think of any way a body could get a 2/60 date stamp in the year 1959.

My take on this is that they guy has a very early 60 Strat with most parts probably made in late 59, but AT LEAST the body wasn't finished until 1960, therefore the guitar could not have been completed until then at the earliest, which makes it undeniably a 60 model (even though it may be absolutely identical to a late 59, it is still a 60). Furthermore, for some reason the guy seems to think it is cooler/more desireable to own a 59, so he knowingly stretched the truth. He knows it's a 60, but doesn't want it to be. Wilko simply told him it was a 60 because he was putting inaccurate information on the board. The guy got offended (I assume because Wilko rained on his 59 charade) and accused Wilko of being juvenile, when he was simply being accurate. When Wilko defended the accuracy of his post the guy accused him of having "mental limitations". There's no call for that - Wilko was right and the guy knew it (he knew it before he ever posted the first time, unless he just doesn't understand the calender). He was just mad because for some reason he wants to call it a 59 when he knows it isn't, and someone corrected him in public. You are quite right that the guy has a very desireable vintage guitar (assuming he didn't make it up, and I'm willing to accept that he probably isn't) which baffles me as to why he got hung up on calling it a 59. Yes, there's no difference, but it simply CAN'T be a 59. I'd sure be proud to own either a 59 or 60, and the guy is sure lucky to own his. We all know it is possible to have a 60 model made from parts all made in 59, but the opposite is simply impossible without time travel being involved.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    I was just googling trying to find a pick of a guard like that. I had seen one before. that's NINE screws.
    Here's another nine-screw guard on a 59 lefty hardtail. I had reversed the image when I saved it, which isn't apparent unless you look close at the headstock decal.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    By that logic I could spring for a set of original '54 Bakelite pickup covers offa Ebay, stick 'em on my 1999 MIM '50s Classic Re-issue, an' veritably claim "Look......I've got a '54 Strat!"

It don't work that way, pal. Try it at the Dallas show and you're liable to git your ass drop-kicked right offa the goddamm planet.

An all-original vintage guitar cannot be dated any older than it's newest part. Period. End of story.

The gentleman last night couldn't grasp basic time-line reality and he chose to show his ass rather than reason intellectually. His own attitude earned him his so-called beat-down.
    Lol. Whatever. I guess I can see your point about how you feel the guy is wrong. It's the air of superiority that I think tends to crack me up. Now it's being directed towards me when I was just speculating and raising some questions about how people might be treated here. IE: "It don't work that way, pal." That's just plain rude and condescending. My name is Michael actually and not pal. I miss the dallas show every year because it happens at peak season for me as a player. I don't get to go because I am always booked and working during it. I do however, get to play more vintage instruments at the local vintage shop than you can shake a stick at. I unfortunately cannot afford a 58 strat so I play a MIJ custom order reissue. It sounds killer and works for me. I do own a 1957 L-1 Kay and a 1972 Medallion Series Firebird and gig with all regularly.

I refuse to take the "lets get everyone jacked up on the forum" bait. Some people spend most of their time on forums having an opinion and finding some sort of "authority/celebrity" status and not much time if any actually gigging. That's fine I guess, most people are hobbyists and not playing for a living.

For me I spend most of my time gigging as a working musician and working on moving up the ladder. I have been blessed with getting to play with my hero's and people who have influenced my playing and couldn't ask for a better life. Somedays it would be nice if it paid more.

All the best.

Michael Holt.
    blues: get em!

TFF Stage Crew

Is this what they call "passive aggressive"? I always wondered about what that was

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    Is this what they call "passive aggressive"? I always wondered about what that was
    Me? Hell I guess it could be percieved that way. Not what I intended actually if that's what your getting at. I thought I was more than upfront about what I said. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't want to get drug down in the muck on a forum with people who have become an "authority" because they spend alot of time posting on here. Also, thats not to say they don't have great info to pass on or know what they are talking about. I will reiterate it one more time, and I hope it doesn't come across as passive agressive. I really didn't have a problem with the contradiction with dude's deal about his guitar, 1959 or 1960, I just thought that the tac taken was a little strong. And then because I said something about it there was the same kind of thing done to me.

I could have went head to head and that would just be buying into it and creating the same problem. Instead I confronted the issue upfront and said that I didn't really like being treated that way just because I had an opinion that wasn't status quo with someone that has three thousand posts.

Then I tried to take the high road and focus on what my main purpose really is, playing music and GETTING ALONG WITH PEOPLE, and chose not to continue with the bullshit. I don't have a problem with anyone here. I like getting along with everyone but that doesn't mean I am going to sit and let somebody basically get in my face on a forum for no other reason except that I had a different opinion. And that's viewed as passive aggressive? We all know that every forum has it's share of popular opinion people who feel they can kind of push others around. I like the idea of being able to talk with other people about guitars here.

Is it going to ruin my day if I get booted like the other guy because I simply didn't agree with someone, told them not to address me as "pal" in an overly stern fashion like their tellin me how it is? No its not. Was it passive aggressive because I stated that I spend my time working as a musician for a living? I don't get it. Would like to hang out here and talk guitars but I don't really see me diggin dude trying to put me in my place because I "don't understand the real world at the guitar show" attitude because I have 40 posts and he has 3,000. Now that makes him an authority and me a novice? Please.

I just like to play guitar man. What's the problem?
    Last edited by h2oholt; 11-26-2009 at 09:33 PM.

OMG just give me that guitar already Wilko.

What a work of art.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Fuck the 59. I want a 1960 just like yours The body color and the fretboard are out of this world!

Yeah man, I gotta agree. That's a great one! I bet it sounds beyond killer. It seems like I see 59's around more than a 60. I always like the stuff off the beaten path. I would dig the 60 more just because not everyone is clamoring for one. That's one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on my 58 reissue, don't see them around alot. Plus I had played a real 58 and liked the neck. Different but cool. I got lucky since I bought mine without playing it first. Got it in the mail and it turned out to be one of the best strats i've played and sounds great. I'm sure it would be hard to put it up against that one though.

Stop the frekkin Insanity dang it.

I don't need 1960 Stratocaster Gas right now you cotton headed ninny muggin !
    It's bad enough that I search for used 3TSB 62 AV RI's after I see that guitar.

BTW This pic makes a great Desktop Background pic for my laptop and thanks I quess ?

(The Fireplace pic kinda scares me and I may have to come over and hurt you if you do anything bad to my axe, Dude )

Forum Member

"Cotton-headed ninny muggin"! Very creative, and totally justified (haha!).

Actually i can stop by and check it out,P music is the best in town
    best service and prices, I bought about 8 or 9 guitars from them
    i am probably thier best customer and the manager actually said I could take Any guitar off the wall and play it
    They have about 40-50 vintage guitars on the wall, 53 tele, L5S rosewood strats and tele etc, some real nice archtops too

Doug is the manager and a great guy

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    i am probably thier best customer and the manager actually said I could take Any guitar off the wall and play it
    They have about 40-50 vintage guitars on the wall, 53 tele, L5S rosewood strats and tele etc, some real nice archtops too

This is a great reference. If the '59 is still there, can you ask about the partial refin and where that might be? I certainly appreciate your help. I'm sure I'm twisting your arm to go there and try yet another nice guitar.
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '12 Fender '59 WW10 Strat Braz
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '97 Fender '58 Strat (Gene Baker MB)
    '68 Marshall JMP50 & '68 1960A Cab
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

Have not had a chance yet with a new job and all i must get down there soon as they give me special pricing on strings and i am almost out

Have not had a chance yet with a new job and all i must get down there soon as they give me special pricing on strings and i am almost out
    No rush. Thanks!
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

It's up for grabs... any guess on ending price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-1959-Fe...item5884bf3bb6
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

ok.. someone snagged it... who??
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

'13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

Did we ever get an idea what the partial refin is? just a clear coat over the front? I love this guitar. The refret dont bother me, nor the plugged extra string-tee. That neck plate mirror images the body paint so that plate looks like it came with that guitar.

Remind me...59/60 were slim? And they didn't slim dowm to when...late 63? Personally I like the slimmer ones. Guitars. Just to be clear. Finding my beat up jan63 a wee bit too chunky.

OMG why does this thread have to come back.

I have serious gas for a 62 AV RI after seeing WIlko's strat again. I know a 62 AV RI is not the same thing but MF has 15% off this weekend and a 62 AV RI for $1359 is the closest I'm gonna get to a Vintage 3TSB 60-ish Strat. Even worse is that the wife gave the approval to buy OMG.

62 AV RI for $1359.

Poor mans Vintage Strat or Working Class Joe's Vintage Strat, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz face View Post
    Did we ever get an idea what the partial refin is? just a clear coat over the front? I love this guitar. The refret dont bother me, nor the plugged extra string-tee. That neck plate mirror images the body paint so that plate looks like it came with that guitar.

Remind me...59/60 were slim? And they didn't slim dowm to when...late 63? Personally I like the slimmer ones. Guitars. Just to be clear. Finding my beat up jan63 a wee bit too chunky.
    I agree. The partial refin if on the arm wear and refret is ok with me too. The extra string tree is a bit annoying to me but also something I could live with. The '59/'60 necks are slim necks. '63 necks I've played have a fuller "C" profile to me.
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    OMG why does this thread have to come back.

I have serious gas for a 62 AV RI after seeing WIlko's strat again. I know a 62 AV RI is not the same thing but MF has 15% off this weekend and a 62 AV RI for $1359 is the closest I'm gonna get to a Vintage 3TSB 60-ish Strat. Even worse is that the wife gave the approval to buy OMG.

62 AV RI for $1359.

Poor mans Vintage Strat or Working Class Joe's Vintage Strat, YMMV.

Great looking AV Strat and with the nod from the wife... you're GOLD!!
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

Did you ever get to the store and check the guitar out? Just curious.

I put in a couple emails to them but no answer...
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360
    '65 Fender Del. Rev.
    '61 Gibson ES-335 TD
    '59 Gibson TV Model
    '59 Fender Tweed BM
    '42 Martin 0017

Forum Member

http://12fret.com/used/index.html

Scroll down to see a very nice 56 Strat.

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone View Post
    http://12fret.com/used/index.html

Scroll down to see a very nice 56 Strat.

CT.
    Beautiful.
    '13 20th R9 Murphy
    '13 Believer Burst #003
    '13 Redeye #007
    '13 Fender '52 WW10 Tele
    '10 Goldie #008
    '10 Dr. Z Maz 18NR
    '03 R9 Aged Braz
    '03 R9 Braz
    '02 Martin OM28JM #360