Thread: Fulltone OCD - Too Scooped?

Fulltone OCD - Too Scooped?

Hi guys, yesterday I finally got to try an OCD at a store. I played it through a Vibrolux RI with a Fender Strat. I found the pedal to have a nice drive sound but I though it was way too scooped in the mids. I am afraid this wouldn't cut well in a live situation. I would be using the pedal with my drri.

What I really liked about the pedal was its ability to clean up when rolling down the volume. This gets said about every pedal out there, but this one really shines at this. So, you guys with the OCD and DRRI combo, do you have trouble cutting through the mix in a live environment? I would be using it as a medium-gain drive kind of thing, I wouldn't turn the drive past noon for instance. Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Fulltone OCD - Too Scooped?

You should've demo'd the pedal with a DRRI. The VRRI's P10Rs are known to periodically produce less-than-stellar tones with that chassis. Why not repeat the test with a rig more akin to your own? The Fulltone OCD seldom disappoints.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

It really depends on the amp. All dirt boxes do.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I didn't demo the pedal with my amp because they did not have the DRRI in the store. Everything is amp dependent right, so that is why I wanted to hear what you guys playing live with the ocd + drri combo had to say.
    There is also a great difference in the frequencies we want to hear in store/bedroom settings and what we want to hear on stage to be able to cut through the band's mix, so I wanted to see how the pedal rated in that area since I won't be able to borrow the pedal for a gig. Thanks for your replies.

I use the OCD with Deluxe and Super Reverbs with the HP setting.

With tweeds I'll often use the LP setting. It's a great pedal.
    orange picks

In the store I preferred the HP setting with the drive set to about 10-11 o'clock. The HP setting gave it a nice sparkle in the top end that I missed on the LP mode. I don't know, maybe I am too used to the TS type sound and I found the OCD to be too scooped, maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it.

That's pretty much where I use it.

It's all in what you're used to. I used a Fulldrive (modded TS-clone) for years, but now I can barely stand them, because that mid-honk is just annoying to me now.

The OCD cuts through just fine in a live setting. I think Mike does a lot of testing in live situations with his products.
    orange picks

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

A LOT of great players use TWO TS-9 chained. Mid honk is not necessarily a bad thing for lead work. YMMV.

I dunno. I hate that sound. That whole overblown Gary Moore "Swill Got Da Bluze" thing.
    orange picks

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Trey is all over the mid honk sound. That's who I think of. Not a huge fan of his, tho the boy can play.

But then I love saxophones and Magnatone amps and they are both very middy, so my ears are just no good - I guess, LOL.

TFF Stage Crew

I'm a huge fan of the OCD & DRRI combo. Not scooped at all, unless as Kap'n suggests, you're comparing it to a TS-9/Fulldrive type tone.

Although I guess when I think "scooped" I think of the low-mids being cut, whereas the TS-9 "honk" is a bit higher up in the mids. The OCD pedals DEFINITELY do not cause any loss in the low mids. They're not boosted either, just kinda right where they already were with your own guitar/amp combo.

At home when I'm practicing along to the Jazz stuff I lean toward (which is all tenor-sax based, in fact) or recording anything for fun, the OCD in LP mode and do everything with the guitar's volume knob. Same thing if I'm playing with a Jazz/Fusion group. With my cover band it tends to stay in HP mode. I really enjoy both sounds and it does indeed cut right through the mix when I pull the guitar's volume up to max.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the OCD & DRRI combo. Not scooped at all, unless as Kap'n suggests, you're comparing it to a TS-9/Fulldrive type tone.

Although I guess when I think "scooped" I think of the low-mids being cut, whereas the TS-9 "honk" is a bit higher up in the mids. The OCD pedals DEFINITELY do not cause any loss in the low mids. They're not boosted either, just kinda right where they already were with your own guitar/amp combo.

At home when I'm practicing along to the Jazz stuff I lean toward (which is all tenor-sax based, in fact) or recording anything for fun, the OCD in LP mode and do everything with the guitar's volume knob. Same thing if I'm playing with a Jazz/Fusion group. With my cover band it tends to stay in HP mode. I really enjoy both sounds and it does indeed cut right through the mix when I pull the guitar's volume up to max.

OCD in LP mode should add dirt but not boost or cut any frequencies in any significant way. I find mine to be that "flat" OD I have wanted for ages.
    Time wounds all heels.

Forum Member

I use a version 4 with a DRRI, and with both strats & gibson/style guitars.

I like it, but I find that turning the gain past 10:00 or so becomes unnatural. I also find it colors the tone, often in a good way, but it adds its own flavor that may seem processed.

I only use HP in a band context, but I like LP while playing alone.

I do find that using it with my Mesa F30 it sounds totally scooped. It only sounds good if I turn the mid up on the amp, and even then I kind of hate it.

The versions of the OCD are really different, too, you need to see which one we're talking about (though if it's new I assume it's V4)