Thread: 1985 Reissue of '63, need advice

1985 Reissue of '63, need advice

Hey everyone, im new to the forums, but i was sent here to seek advice.

Although i play guitar fairly well (or i'd like to think so), i don't actually know too much about them. I was considering a 70s strat recently and a friend advised strongly against it, saying that they are generally regarded as the worst ever, so now i'm turning my attention to a 1985 reissue of a '63. It's an add in the papers and unfortunately i don't know any more details about it right now. Also, there is no set price and so i'd have to make an offer, but im not really sure how much would be reasonable.

Obviously not much can be done if that is all i know about the guitar so far, but for that model, what price range would you people expect to pay? Or is it even worth looking into?

I'm looking for a Mark Knopfler/Pink Floyd kind of tone in a Strat, and i would probably expect to pay up to about £1300. Any other Strats that you would recommend within that price range?

TFF Stage Crew
    I've never heard of any 1985 reissues of 1963 Strats. You might want to check it out. It could be a 1963 reissue of a 1962.

eBay is a wonderful tool for getting a feel for the market value of various items. Locate a couple auctions for items the same or similar to what you're interested in. Track about a dozen of them and see what it goes for.

I personally would not purchase a guitar blindly by making an offer on something without seeing it and with no more information than a newspaper ad.

The 70's Fenders have a lousy reputation though there are good and bad instruments to be found in every era. Just because something is old does not mean it is good. Every instrument is worth what you as a player and/or collector get out of it.

In 1985 Fender made a 57 ri and a 62ri. They sell used in the USA for arouind $600-750