Thread: 70's combo reverb

Forum Member

70's combo reverb

Hi there, just wondering if hooking up the reverb tank's RCA plugs incorrectly at rear of the amp should cause the fuse to blow? If so what components or tubes would likely be stressed into failure? Thanks , ART

Re: 70's combo reverb

Tube reverb normally uses a transformer to drive the transducer in the reverb tank. That should protect/isolate the driver stage. Not sure what the mismatched impedance would do to the input of the recovery stage but I wouldn't have thought it would damage anything. What amp are we talking about here?
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

It shoudn't. The reverb just won't work.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

ok sounds good to me go for it

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. The amp is an early 70's Deluxe Reverb, belongs to a young guy on another forum. It's been some years since I worked on one of these, and couldn't see how this could blow the fuse. ART

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'd take a good look at V9 first. If that GZ34 is shorted it will immediately drag everything with it to ground when the amp is switched on. I doubt that the reversed reverb tank cables have anything at all to do with the primary symptom.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I've worked on a couple of 70s SF Fenders that were blowing fuses. New filter caps and even rectifier diodes are likely in order. You ought to plan on putting in all new electrolytics anyway if they haven't been done in the last 10 years.

With a cap job and diode replacement each amp I had fixed right up and was healthy afterwards.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke