Thread: Rio Grandes in Strat

Rio Grandes in Strat

Hey all, I currently have the Vintage Noiseless in my Strat, and I'm 'usually' satisfied with the tone, though I'm starting to get tonally 'restless'.

I'm considering moving to Rio Grande's (maybe the vintage tall boys and Neck/Middle and a Muy Grande in the Bridge).... Anyone have a strong opinion on these?

Want to keep a Strat tone, but I also want to be able to get a bit more bite out of the bridge.

Also considering putting 57/62's in the Neck/Middle.

Thanks,
    "... That's a Mesa Boogie (Mark 1)... THAT won't sound any good in the mix!!!" (Actual quote by the house soundman at The Whiskey, LA, October 1991.)

Re: Rio Grandes in Strat

I have a strat loaded exactly the way you described, that is my main strat. The pickups are very nice sounding, they have samples of sound on their site.

Lollars are nice too, as are Fralins, if the Rio Grandes don't end up doing it for you. Sound sameples there too...
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

I've always been a fan of Rio Grande Strat pups. They are a bit more aggressive than most single coils, but I like that in these pickups. The Tallboy makes a great neck and middle pickup, and for the bridge you can get a little more output from a Halfbreed, or get a lot more from a Muy Grande or a Stelly. The Stelly is a very cool pickup. It has a bit more edge to it than the Muy Grande.

Here is a recording I made with a set consisting of a Stelly/Halfbreed/Tallboy bridge to neck. It's a bit on the hi-gain side, but you can get a good idea of what these pups can deliver...
    http://marksmitchell2.home.mindspring.com/BLueRio1.mp3

Nice, you represent the tone well. I have had mine for around when they started, I think. I have the tall boy/ muy combo and have always been satisfied.
    Jerry

Forum Member

I realize that I have discovered this thread a couple of months after the rest of the class, but I absolutely love the tone that Mark is getting out of that Stelly. The playing as just beautiful as well. Thanks for posting that soundclip.

Forum Member

I have a Strat w/ the Halfbreed in the bridge and Tallboys in the middle and neck. Recently GAS struck and I considered replacing them w/ Duncan Antiquities. I haven't played this particular guitar through an amp in a long time, so I plugged it in and wow - those pickups are not going anywhere! Rio's don't get mentioned in the same conversations as Fralin, Lollar etc etc, but they sound pretty dang good to me. Someone hit the nail on the head earlier, they are not quite conventional or Vintage correct, but the signature sound is there along with it's own thing going on as well (if that makes sense)

I have even used the Halfbreed under high gain and it performs admirably. Clean, it does the Tele Twang like no ones business.

JQ

Not quite the same...
    I've had a Rio Grande Muy Grande in my Tele bridge since 1994, and it STILL sounds great!

SMark, great playing and great tone!

Guys, was looking seriously at the Rio Grandes and Suhr's (my local place carries both of these)... then 2 weeks ago, they said, "Wait, we're getting Lollar's in next week."

So after a series of emails with the folks at Lollar to determine the best route to go, I just ordered a 'Dirty Blackface' set (Blackface in neck/middle) with a hotter Special in the Bridge... can't wait to get these in!!!

After hearing above though, might be time for a 2nd with Rio's (just don't tell my wife)!

Will report back on the Lollar's when it's up and running.
    "... That's a Mesa Boogie (Mark 1)... THAT won't sound any good in the mix!!!" (Actual quote by the house soundman at The Whiskey, LA, October 1991.)

You'll love the Lollars - just guessing. :-)

I have a set of "Dirty Blondes" in my 62RI & couldn't be happier.
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

I have a Rio calibrated set in my Strat, replacing the Tex-Mex's. I love the Rio's, all five positions are rich and full. I bought them on ebay for $110.00

Got the Lollar 'Dirty Blackface' set in about a month ago, and I'm just putting my guitar down to report! Man, what a difference! Great combination of Strat sounds, and the hotter special in the bridge does dirty up nicely without losing a Strat-like quality!

First time in a long time I haven't obsessed about 'trying out' new tubes, mix and matching, or screwing around with settings! The focus is now on the guitar's controls and in the fingers! Haven't been able to say that before.

I have had nothing but great experiences with Vintage Tallboys.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash