Thread: Some chords for "On Green Dolphin Street":

TFF Stage Crew

Some chords for "On Green Dolphin Street":

So I'm trying to learn this song. The only chart I have for it is in C, but the only recorded version I have in that key is Barney Kessell's, & his version is a little off, like the tape was sped up or something.
    So I found a few other versions (namely Miles, Bill Evans, & Wynton Kelly) but they are in Eb, which necessitated using some different chord shapes instead of just sliding the whole thing up four frets & cramming my fat fingers in a bunch of narrow frets. I took this as a challenge & decided to find out how to play this thing w/in the first six frets or so. Here it is, but take it easy on me; I'm pretty new to this jazz stuff! I would like a critique & maybe someone could check the chord names out to see if I got them right:

Re: Some chords for "On Green Dolphin Street":

Only chord I can see is the "F#7" on the second line. I guess you left out the maj or the little triangle by mistake, but other than that it should be named Gbmaj7. This is for a "grammatic" reason - a C#7 goes to an F#, but a Db7 goes to a Gb.

However, in a tune that keeps modulating you will eventually have to switch from (in most cases) flat keys to sharp keys.

But in this tune the modulation stops at Gb and then goes back via the Bb7.
    Last edited by matsb; 10-12-2009 at 08:28 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Some chords for "On Green Dolphin Street":

Got it. Goin for the White-Out right now~