Thread: Audiophile question

Audiophile question

When I was an audio consultant with Sam Goody back in 1980 I bought a pair of AR 11B's - what I felt were (arguably) the best bookshelf speaker of the day. They have begun to sound like crap. I had to replace the woofers about 5 years ago, and now I think either the tweeters or midrange drivers are shot - or maybe the crossovers. In any case, I figure that speaker technology has improved so much, it might not make any sense to invest more money into them. I've been leaning towards a set of studio monitors to replace them. In particular, these really caught my eye... or these; especially with the matching subwoofer (or this one) subwoofer#2.

I really have a critical ear and wonder if I'd be better off looking at regular audio speakers, or setting up the man cave with studio electronics instead so I cxan also get a better sound when I'm recording. Opinions?

Feel free to share your thoughts!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Audiophile question

Not that I have an informed opinion to offer, but I'm really confused by your intent: Are you looking to replace your stereo speakers (in, say, the living room) or to get some sturdy/flat monitors for recording cave output?

(or... maybe the Cave is also the audio listening environment?)

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

In 1971 I bought a brand new pair of JBL L100As from Pacific Mail Order located in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Flew there and personally picked them up during a mid-tour leave from Vietnam. They're in my living room right now......sounding all the much like the day they were new. In '88 I had to have the dome tweeters and mid-range speakers re-coned. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing for thirty-eight years.

The ARs are a mighty fine set of speakers. I think I'd prefer the AR2ax over the AR11 but no matter -- have them repaired by a competent technician and enjoy them for another two or three decades.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

The man-cave is the audio environment. We used to sell the JBL L-100's - mighty fine speakers. We also had the 4300 Monitors. They kicked ass! With all that, I really never found speakers that matched the ARs for clarity, accuracy bass response, etc. I have thought about repairing them, but, like I said, I know there has been some technical innovations over the past 30+ years and I was curious...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I know there has been some technical innovations over the past 30+ years and I was curious...
    Me too. And my curiosity cost me plenty when I foolishly bought a HRDlx instead of the Deluxe Reverb RI I initially wanted (and ultimately ended up with). I shoulda gone with my gut instinct from the git.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Woof!

There hasn't been the massive technical growth in speakers in the last 30 years that will make the ARs any less of a fine speaker. Lighter weight tweeter materials and better power/bass response are overdone in most "audio listening" speakers (that's why there is a difference between "monitors" and general use "audio speakers")

I can't think of anything that would make a speaker not sound good that can't be easily fixed. It's usually something simple like a voice coil rub, foam cone suspension degradation. If it's the crossover that's bad, there are simple replacements. Maybe you just need new caps in the circuit.

My speakers that had to go to the garage are my mid 70s JBL L-110a. Damn I love that way those sound. I was really missing them this weekend as I put new tubes in my McIntosh and was listening through my cheap ass Bose Acoustimass crap.

Gravity Jim

I wish I still had my AR8's from the 70s. Dang. Best bookshelf ever.

check out the Dynaudio studio monitors.