Thread: Pro Junior

Pro Junior

Saw one of these a MARS the other day. I was wondering if anyone had any wisdom to dispense on these tiny tube amps? I hate to try them in a store only to get them home and hear something completely different. But it seemed to be a smokin' little amp for the money. A bit like my Trace Velocette but distinctly Fender in the clean tone department.
    Last edited by Fender DICK!; 07-30-2002 at 09:42 AM.

A friend of mine has one and they are a nice little tube amp. They are very portable and overdrive nicely. They are a little darker than the normal Fender *Sparkely* clean, but still have a great sound. I've heard that they make a great Harp amp. How much was it going for?

It was listed at $299.00, I'm sure it could be had for less.

Forum Member
    I just wonder iof they sound good at low volume.

I haven't played with his a lot, but I think that part of the appeal for him was that you could crank it a little without bringing down the house. Next time I talk to him I'll ask how it performs at bedroom/apartment volumes. Like I said before, definitely be aware that they are a little darker sounding than a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb type amp.

Forum Member
    I can deal with dark. I can't deal with required LOUD.

I saw a cool 2 or 3 watt amp circuit floating around on the web somewhere. I was thinking about building that up here at the office (we have every surface mount and thru hole part on earth as well as transformers, etc) and making a custom cabinet for it and having a nice little practice/recording amp. The only thing I'd have to order would be the tube and the tube sockets. Ever think of going that route?

I may snag one of these strictly to augment the Velocette, Univalve, and Electar tube 10, in my studio.

Hey Dick, what do you think of the Electar? I was thinking I might give one a try as a low volume blues thing.

I have two of these suckers, one black & one tweed. I bought them to look cool in my living room. They sound decent for the money, but not great, in my opinion. They have pretty thick mids and a somewhat splotchy attack with the volume maxed. Plenty of punch and grind. While they are capable of getting quite dirty, I think they sound best on the cleaner side.

I don't really play them much, mind you, so others might have more wisdom to share. I'm told they can sound pretty good with upgraded speakers and tubes.

Just opinions.
    Last edited by Riscchip; 07-30-2002 at 05:25 PM.
    --Carson

http://www.riscchip.com

Moto, the Electar is a mixed bag. I bought it at a real steal $85.00. But the stock speaker is dismal. I plopped a 8" Celestion in it and it turned out to be a great little bedroom\studio amp.

Forum Member
    The PJ is a great little amp. Like any tube amp, the louder you turn 'em the better they sound. It is gigable as I've gigged with mine a few times. I'm usually a Marshall guy but maybe that's what I like about this amp is it's Marshall/Voxesque tone. It really sounds good through a Celery Blue. This is not a quiet little bedroom/apartment amp unless you use a pedal in front of it for some drive. It sounds real good with a FD2 also.
    shakin' the bush, boss

Forum Member
    I'm not fond of the BJ. Like all the other current production Fenders, they're cheaply built with mediocre parts, in order to keep the price down. A guy I knew used on for guitar and it sounded rather pinched. Very middy, weak lows and highs. Another guy I know blows harp through one and his harp tone SUCKS. Thin and squeaky.

I hear they can be improved with better tubes and a Weber speaker.

I'll pass.

Forum Member
    Well I've tried a bunch and they sound pretty good too me. Decent clean tone with trademark Fender harmonic content and decent overdrive. I do not find them too middy with the Fat switch out and they sound cool with single coils with it in.
    Of course these little $300 amps don't have the sparkle and magic of a thousand dollar plus vintage BF and who gives a ****! What you have is a very good all tube 15 watt amp with a nice range of tones and a great price! Very easy to tweek it up with tube and speaker upgrades if you feel the need. I've gigged with one and my tone was fine. I've recorded with one and guess what?.... it was fine. Turn any amp up to 10 and they splatter. My BF Princeton does as do all my under 40 watt amps.
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Forum Member
    I think the Pro Junior is a rockin little amp, they sound very sweet on about 8 with some humbuckers. They are pretty loud for a small amp. I haven't tried it down low, as I'm a sucker for the warmth of overdriven powertubes.

Forum Member

pro juniors?

hi guys!
    my first post over here, and i´d like to say that the pj is a smoking little amp!
    the first time i played one in a store (with a lespaul, if i dare say it here) i couldn´t believe how big and fat it sounded...
    i think it´s the most "vintage" sounding and playing amp in fender´s current line-up. it actually gets very close to the "brownface" amps in being a blend of tweed AND blackface virtues...
    check one out if you can, and play it through a big cab if you think it sounds too small.
    it´s amazing how good it can sound in a rock-band scenario.
    at around $200 used - hey, what do you have to loose ;)
    cheers - C.