Thread: wiring issues with scn noiseless tele pickups

wiring issues with scn noiseless tele pickups

Hey all, I just bought some noiseless tele pickups and I ran into a problem. I have the guitar working the pickups are playing fine but its not grounded properly. The black wire coming off the bridge PU splits into 3 parts. it has the one long black section wich i soldered to the volume pot. It then has a lug and a shorter black wire off of it now typically I just put the lug on one of the pickup screws but when i do this my short wire wont reach anything.

Now after some reasearch I found that the lug apperently screws into the cavity under the volume and tone plate and then solders to the volume pot, am I on the right track if I do this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: wiring issues with scn noiseless tele pickups

yep, those tabs are to be screwed into the cavity. my jazzmaster has that. make sure also that there is a ground going to the bridge. don't know if the SCN grounds through the plate like an old school tele lead, but i doubt it. so you'll need to run another wire (if needed) into the lead cavity and ground that to the bridge so it makes a ground with the strings.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

arrg. I got it wired in correctly( I think). But the same high pitch feedback is still there!!! they seem to have the exact same hum as any other pickups I'm super confused. And while i was trying to fit the bridge back on the yellow wire attached to the lead pickup popped off the pickup. Now, I just soldered it back onto the blob of solder that already existed but I'm worried that they are cooked for good. Does anyone know if the pickups are still good after the yellow lead came off? I was gentle but I guess after wiggling it around so much it got weak.

So does anyone know how to get it running right? I'm getting annoyed because 150$ i'snt fun to just throw out the window. again any help would rock.
    Also, I have successfully wired many guitars these pickups are just giving me a really hard time.

new question, lol can worn out tubes make an amp feed back? its almost like an in-audible high pitch sound after i mute the strings. but if I let it go it will turn into full on feedback especially with distortion and delay. I'm thinking the amp needs to be re tubed badly so I'm wondering can it be the amp? it doesn't seem to do it in my buddies reverb re-issue but i'll have to double check.

Thanks again for reading.

can you post a pic? without seeing or hearing what is going it's hard to accurately diagnose the problem.

BUT, if you resoldered the wire like you said, you should be just fine. as long as the wrap wire from the coild didn't break you should be fine. i've goofed up and done that in the past.

as for your tubes, that could very well indeed be your problem. best to ask that in the amp department, we have some very good amp techs here on the board. i however, am not one of them.

Heres a sound clip of the annoying pickup the guitar is noiseless now minus the awful high pitch squeal. Maybe after hearing it someone will know what's up.

Thanks

I think the bridge pickup is just microphonic, I went to the music store and tried my guitar in the identical amp as mine and the noise was still there. So its not the amp or the tubes. The only thing I can try now is shielding the cavities. I'll up date you guys if i get it fixed.

if it's microphonic it needs to be potted, shielding won't fix the problem.

yep, you are correct I just potted the old pickup that was in there. It hums like normal but does not have the microphonic squeal anymore.
    I guess it was just coincidence that the new pickup I bought was microphonic as well. so does anyone know if its safe to dip my scn pickup in hot wax lol. I didn't mind dunking the old one in to test but my new 150$ PU I'm a little reluctant.
    It has a plastic wrap around it would i have to remove it? potting was really easy, I wish I had done that in the first place instead of buying new pickups. Welp live and learn.

so yeah newest question: is it safe to pot my new scn pickup?
    Thanks so much for your help chuck

no problem man, that's what this board is all about.

as for the scn... i'll let someone else chime in on the potting issue. i'm not really sure how those are put together, or what materials are in them. but, i would hazard a guess in that you could pot it at home. and yeah, you'll need to take the wrap off. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT! but really, fender pots them at the plant, and that's just some wax and a vat. so i can't imagine it being THAT much different than a normal single coil. just make sure if you do pull off the wrap not to disturb any of the winding.

cool, i may try it the pickup is useless anyways.. so if it gets ruined well at least i tried. Yeah potting the other one was a chinch i just bought some paraffin wax and melted it and away i went it took about 20 minutes. I'm thinking i'll do the scn today. Wish me luck
    thanks again

good luck, break a leg.

i think it'll be fine after potting.