Thread: Acoustic Question

Forum Member

Acoustic Question

Being a noob to things electric, I have a totally noob question regarding my Frontman212R: can I mike my acoustic guitar through it, and if I can, will it sound like crap? Also, what kind of mike would I need? Just experimenting here, but don't want to waste too much moolah on something that's not a good idea.

Re: Acoustic Question

yes - and I don't know what it will sound like. depends on how the amp is 'voiced', how effective the tone controls are - and how good of a mic you use.

How's that for a non answer?

This is an option but is does not sound like a mic'ed acoustic or a peizo, or anything else really. It does allow you to use an acoustic through an amp in a way that will be what you are used to....

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan.../dp/B0002E3B78
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

You can do it, but it will be really prone to feedback. Most electric guitar amps have EQ that really isn't suited to acoustic instruments or microphones.

That being said, Neko Case sounded pretty darn good last night with her tenor guitar plugged into a Carr.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

If you want to mic it try an SM57 or some type of cardoid in front of the sound hole, 3-5 inches away. Not directly in front though, maybe more over the neck, just to the left if you're playing the guitar. That way you can still strum close to the sound hole. Then set your amp controls flat (all in the middle) and tweak from there. That should be a good start. Kap's probably right though.

Your best bet is to buy a pickup I think. I don't play acoustic through an amp, but it seems like that's what most people do. It will definitely be more convenient, for one because you can move more while playing.

FYI: Unless it happens to have active EQ, all controls in the middle doesn't equal "flat" on an electric guitar amp.

If you're looking to do this in a band situation, it's likely to get howly.

The soundhole p'up is the easiest/cheapest way to get something useable. One with a volume and maybe eq on it will be easier for you to control.

Richard Thompson's made some great recordings using a Sunrise soundhole p'up straight into a Vibrolux.
    I saw Alejandro Escovedo engage a Boss OD pedal late in what was until then an acoustic set. It was a filthy sound but it made sense there.

Unless you have a specific goal of getting an accurate acoustic-like sound, there's no right or wrong way to screw around and maybe find something that works for you.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

FYI: Unless it happens to have active EQ, all controls in the middle doesn't equal "flat" on an electric guitar amp.
    Oops...I stand corrected, thank you.

We do a Acoustic set and I run my Guild ( with a built in Pre-amp and a sound hole cover thingy to reduce feedback) acoustic thru my Deluxe Reverb. Sounds great.

i've played my acoustic through a tweed deluxe and it sounded pretty good. not a true acoustic tone, but fair enough.

i think instead of micing it, get a dean markley woody or something like that like the others have suggested. easy to use, and usually pretty cheap.

or if all you have is a 57, fold up a shirt, put it in your guitar laying it on the lower bout and drop that sucker in there jimmy page style. i've done that from time to time in a pinch. you'll get handling noise though from it as you move around.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"