Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Page Dragon Telecaster

Building a Page Dragon Telecaster

Okay, the project is underway. I finally decided to build my Page Dragon Telecaster.

The body will come from KnE Guitars. They have this blank northern ash vintage style Telecaster body for a real good price ($153 shipped to Canada).

The neck will probably come from Musikraft. They make very nice necks. I was so impressed with the quality of my Frankie neck I've decided to get another one from them. I'm still not sure to which specs it'll be made yet. Still doing some research on the original neck on Page's guitar. I can't find a lot of info on the internet.

Pickups will most likely come from Guitar Fetish. Still not sure which ones I'll get. I don't want to spend a fortune on this guitar but I still want it to be a player.

The rest of the parts will be ordered from Guitar Parts Resource. I've dealt with them in the pass and they have good parts at good prices.

I haven't found any clear plastic sheets to make the pickguard. Anyone know where I can find such a thing? They have clear tele pickguards at Stew-Mac but I need to cut mine like the one on Page's guitar. It has an irregular shape (goes all the way down to the bottom of the bridge, between the bridge and control plate - see pic). The plastic has to be between 0.080" and 0.100" in thickness.

Pics to come soon...

tbof
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 09-18-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Re: Building a Page Dragon Telecaster

you can get a piece of clear Lexan (polycarbonate) at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

Lexan is tougher to cut but it is far less likely to crack at the screw holes than Plexiglas (acrylic.)

Forum Member

Dude, keep this up and you can sell a book on how to build low-cost replicas of famous guitars!

I look forward to seeing the results. Give us lotsa details and pics like you did with the Frankenstrat.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I'm so jealous! I really like what you did with the Frankenstrat, and this tele is equally as iconic to me (plus I'm a natural born Tele fan - it just took me years to find that out).

I've seen info on the Dragon Tele online, even on this site. There was a thread about a year ago (?) that gave lots of details, and a link to additional reference material on this and other Page guitars. So I know the info is out there... somewhere...

If I recall correctly, the neck and body were from different years, and the neck was the typical 7 1/4 radius with the large U shape. The body was a top loader and not a string thru. But these are relatively basic details I'm sure you already know.

I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out!

Thanks for the info Mesotech. I did a search here and found some contradicting information. Apparently the body was a string-thru type body and had string ferrules but Page loaded from the top. He had someone drill holes into the back side of the bridge so that he could top load the strings (from a mag article I read some time ago). There was a replica made by someone (I think the name was Fabgear) a few years ago and these replicas had these 2 options.

Some people say the dragon tele was originally white (the one Jeff Beck gave him). It was later stripped and painted with the dragon. Then again, like you say, it could also be the Beck's tele neck on a totally different body. One thing is certain. It's either a very late 50's or 60's neck. Who knows?! We'll never know where the body came from.

tbof

Quote Originally Posted by Custom 5 View Post
    you can get a piece of clear Lexan (polycarbonate) at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

Lexan is tougher to cut but it is far less likely to crack at the screw holes than Plexiglas (acrylic.)

Thanks. Will have a look next time I go at Home Depot.

tbof

I am very interested in how this comes out. One of my favorite Tele's, every once in a while I see a custom made one pop up on ebay and I get an itchy trigger finger. I used to have some pretty details files on my old computer about that axe, If I can get the damn thing to start up I will see what I can find. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

What would you guys recommend for pickups? I have no idea what to get and I'm still opened for any suggestions. What do you think Page had in his Tele at the time he recorded the first Led Zeppelin album? Any idea what his pickups could've measured at that time? He had so much fuzz going one at that time it's hard to tell. Am I better going a towards a more vintage (~7K bridge) type of pup, or a hotter (~9-10K) type?

tbof

Outstanding-can't wait to see this project as it progresses as well. I was pleasantly shocked at how well the Frankenstrat turned out, as replicas are made all of the time, but none quite like that!

One thing I've seen about Page's sound is he sometimes plugged directly into board, than took that signal and put it through a small amp (Valco, Supro), then it was run back into the board. It really mixed up just what exactly he was using.
    Best reference is find a good live sound (good luck) and hunt for what he was doing at the time.
    His penchant for mystery-mojo was likely the inspiration for what EVH did, which I don't think was anywhere near as mysterious as is made up.
    For Page, I would stick to stock/hot standard whatever was laying around in 1969.

that guitar is a 59, so if you search and find some specs you should be cool. my buddy had a 59 and i think the lead read about 6.5k-6.9K. somewhere in that range. funny thing is that my buddy's guitar sounded really tough and aggressive, and it had a decently mild pup in it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Any of you guys had experience with the Tonerider Hot Classics? They are $80 a set.

http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/telepickups.html

I was also thinking of putting in a set of GFS Repro 1960's HOT (the Vintage Alnico 62). I have no idea if they are good or not. The bridge is overwound to 9.6K.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/re19hotalteb.html

Also, does anyone know what would be the correct neck specs for this era?

- What size at nut. (1 5/8" or other...)
    - Type of nut (bone or other...)
    - Type of fretboard inlay (mother of pearl, chalk or other...)
    - Radius of 7.25" or other...

tbof
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 09-19-2009 at 09:52 AM.

I see there are many nickel parts available for Telecasters (jack plates, bridges, control plates..). What would be more historically accurate for a late 50's Telecaster? Nickel or chrome?

tbof

IIRC, Fender didn't use nickle for any of their parts. Kluson tuners were nickle, but they are third party.

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    IIRC, Fender didn't use nickle for any of their parts. Kluson tuners were nickle, but they are third party.
    Nickel parts on a vintage Stratocaster would include the strap buttons, trem claw, springs, all screws and fasteners, and (as mentioned) the Kluson tuners. Chrome was specified everywhere else.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I thought we were talking Teles, And yeah, strap buttons and string retainers aren't chrome.

Strat saddles are nickle.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

As are string ferrules for both the Tele and hardtail Strat.

(forgot about the strings trees -- thanks for the reminder, Wilko)
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, too. I just know that all the big bits like the bridge plate and control plate/knobs are chrome.

Oh, and the fasteners, and likely the strap buttons might not really be nickle. I'm pretty sure there's some other technical name for the plating like Cadmium or something.

Thanks guy.

One detail I'm not sure about is the nut size. I've read most necks had a 1-5/8" nut but some necks around 1959 had 1-11/16" nuts. Still doing my research...

tbof

If I'm reading my web articles correctly, the first Led Zeppelin album (and Stairway to Heaven) was all done with a Telecaster. I am very surprised by this information, because I saw Zeppelin a couple of months after their first album came out (in Connecticutt) and Page used a Les Paul/Marshall stack for the whole concert. Does anyone know if this is really true?

I was also recently shocked to find out that Hendrix used a Telecaster on numerous songs on his first album.

Is there anything that this awesome little beast cannot do???

Forum Member

Wow. Solid Hard Ash with a Tele. Thats going to be one unforgivingly bright guitar.Not the least little smidgeon of warmth like on soft Southern Swamp Ash.
    Based on my limited experience with Northern Hard Ash, I do not think a set of regular Tele pickups is going to work,leastways not in the bridge.The neck pup of course is going to be more forgiving. I would recommend a set of GFS litte crunchers to smooth out the sound and make it less icepicky, but they are rails pickups, so I'm guessing you want an authentic look.
    To be real frank, I would recommend having a bridge pickup custom wound. Something with an A5 alnico magnet, possibly even an A8 magnet and probably overwound.I still am not sure, but I think the case is that overwinding can take the ice-pick edge of a pickup, provided the winder is skilled and knows where to stop from having it become muddy at high volume.
    I can say that Zhang here on the board can probably wind you a good pickup that would take some of the edge off the bright, yet retain the Telecaster bridge sound character. Also, send an e,mail to guitar fetish. he has some overwound Tele pickups. I'd steer clear of Duncan or Dimarzio in this instance.They don;t seem to offer anything that would work, unless maybe Duncans "Quarterpound".
    Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Richards View Post

Is there anything that this awesome little beast cannot do???
    Now that they have put Floyd Roses , 'buckers, Jumbo Frets and everything on some Teles, in a word, NO.

Quote Originally Posted by John Richards View Post
    If I'm reading my web articles correctly, the first Led Zeppelin album (and Stairway to Heaven) was all done with a Telecaster. I am very surprised by this information, because I saw Zeppelin a couple of months after their first album came out (in Connecticutt) and Page used a Les Paul/Marshall stack for the whole concert. Does anyone know if this is really true?
    with page you never really know what the truth is. BUT, in several articles he's mentioned that part of the second album is tele. he didn't get his paul until part way into that album. also, some of those tracks on II are vox ac30. supposedly the solo for stairway is a tele.

the hard part with all this stuff is the studio. because tones can be manipulated in so many ways. plus, page likes to mess with people much like van halen does.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    Wow. Solid Hard Ash with a Tele. Thats going to be one unforgivingly bright guitar.Not the least little smidgeon of warmth like on soft Southern Swamp Ash.
    Based on my limited experience with Northern Hard Ash, I do not think a set of regular Tele pickups is going to work,leastways not in the bridge.The neck pup of course is going to be more forgiving. I would recommend a set of GFS litte crunchers to smooth out the sound and make it less icepicky, but they are rails pickups, so I'm guessing you want an authentic look.
    Would it help if I'd stick with 250k pots/.047uF caps? Would that help reduce the brightness a little? Still haven't decided on the pickups yet. Waiting for some advice from GFS.

I bought my body and it should be ready to ship tomorrow.

tbof

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post
    What would you guys recommend for pickups? I have no idea what to get and I'm still opened for any suggestions. What do you think Page had in his Tele at the time he recorded the first Led Zeppelin album? Any idea what his pickups could've measured at that time? He had so much fuzz going one at that time it's hard to tell. Am I better going a towards a more vintage (~7K bridge) type of pup, or a hotter (~9-10K) type?

tbof
    I'd say stay vintage.
    Aside from the finish, I've never heard that there was anything very unusual about that Tele.
    The odd spec being the toploader bridge, unique to '59s. For all the time a was a Zep-head, I never even knew it was a toploader until pretty recently. I never knew it was a modified bridge that he had until your post above mentioned it.
    Elvis Costello

Okay, I got my neck (from Musikraft) this week and I finally have all my parts now. The "dragon tele" build project is underway.

Pics of building process are coming soon...

tbof

**fingers tapping patiently on the desk**

Here are the first pics of the project.

This is the bare body I got from KnE Guitars. It's not the nicest top but it'll do for a project like this.

The first step was to prepare the body, first step was sanding to 320 grit, then filling the pores. I used Stew-Mac's Colortone waterbase grain filler.

Then I had to transfer the dragon pattern to the guitar. I made the drawing from pictures I found using photoshop. It looked something like this.

I used this as a reference for painting the pattern on the body. But I also printed an outline version full scale on tracing paper.

I darkened the back of the tracing paper with 6B pencil and traced the outline back onto the body. This had to be done before applying any finish so that the pencil would stick.

With the tracing paper firmly held in place, I traced the outline of the design back onto the bare wood.

Here you can see the outline on the body.

Once the pattern was transfered to the body, I proceded with the sealer. I used Zinsser shellac. I put on a first layer straight out of the can. Then I tinted half the can with Stew-Mac's vintage amber ColorTone concentrated liquid stain . A little goes a long way, so you need to put just a few drops and make a few tests to a scrap piece of wood. Once I had the right tint, I applied my second coat to the body. The next day, I sanded with 220 and 320 grit and applied 2 more coats with 2 hours waiting time between the coats. The next day I sanded the body with 220 and 320 again until I got a nice semi-mat finish.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress.

More pics to come soon...

wow

AWESOME!

Forum Member

Schweet!

Killer! I can already hear "Whole Lotta Love" spilling out of that guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by the_best_of_fools View Post
    Then I had to transfer the dragon pattern to the guitar. I made the drawing from pictures I found using photoshop. It looked something like this.

I don't think I've ever seen a straight on shot of the Dragon Tele body.
    Skewing and squishing an image to fit a straight-on view, especially a shape like a guitar body, is no joke. Nice work.
    Nice work any way you slice it.
    Elvis Costello

Thanks for your kind words, guys.

tbof
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 01-31-2010 at 08:40 AM.

i'd rather email ya to make me one! if only i had the money to spend right now.

can't wait to see this thing in action!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    i'd rather email ya to make me one! if only i had the money to spend right now.

can't wait to see this thing in action!
    Me too! Sweet!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

While doing the research for this project, most of the info i found pointed to a late '59 early/ '60s tele. I wanted to get the right neck, with the correct period specs, so I ordered a maple neck with a slab rosewood board, thin "D" backshape, 1-5/8" width at nut, 7.25" radius, 50/50 side dots positioning, pre '64 (wide spacing) 12th fret clay inlays, trust rod adjustment at heel (no skunk stripe).

Here are a few shots of the neck. It came from Musikraft. Their necks come sealed with (mat transparent) shellac. I'll be finishing it with a few coats of tinted shellac to give it a nice vintage look and feel.

You can see the neck, before the tinted shellac was applied.

Here you can see the 50/50 side dots with a few coats of tinted shellac.

tbof

Sheet.
    Awesome work!

Neck has been prepared with tinted shellac for a vintage look.

Neck was then reliced (sanded to wood, scuffed in some areas and lightly stained with a mixture of walnut stain and charcoal crayon).

Then on with a few coats of Polycrylic. (The neck looks darker in these pictures than it is.)

I'm almost done with this project, I just haven't had the time to transfer the newer pics to my hard drive. More pics coming soon.

tbof
    Last edited by the_best_of_fools; 02-11-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Listen to The Best of Fools on
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/16/437517/Artist/437517/Artist/link
    & on Facebook