Thread: This just floors me...

This just floors me...

...every time I watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqo6Oft4GOw
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Re: This just floors me...

Thanks for posting, very tasty!
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Forum Member

Every time I hear Bill Frisell playing - with or without loops - I try so hard to "get it", but I just can't...

Don't know, I guess I just don't find his technique impressive, nor his melodic approach particularly inspiring, yet I absolutely love players like Jim Campilongo, who can truly make a Tele sing.

Thanks NTB.....love "The Bill".
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

That is outstanding! Super Reverb?

Forum Member

I hate Bill Frisell.

In a good way.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by surfreak View Post
    Every time I hear Bill Frisell playing - with or without loops - I try so hard to "get it", but I just can't...

Don't know, I guess I just don't find his technique impressive, nor his melodic approach particularly inspiring, yet I absolutely love players like Jim Campilongo, who can truly make a Tele sing.
    Well, that's fair. You're definitely entitled to your opinion. Maybe it's that he is into the harmonic movement of his songs more than the voice of his guitar. I can see how Campilongo differs in that regard and why you'd prefer that.

For me it's the rich and complex jazz harmonies mixed with an Americana sound played on a Telecaster. You have to listed to an entire solo or song he plays, too, because he takes you literally on a trip and when he gets to where he's going, you know it. He always plays just the right amount and never too much.

His approach and sound is so unique, too. I love it when he does things like going from all trippy-loopy tunes and slides effortlessly into a heavy swing standard.

Musically, I'm into guys who can play all the notes, but choose not to. I love Campilongo, too, by the way. In a big way, harmonically, I think Frisell and Campilongo are really very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    That is outstanding! Super Reverb?
    I think so! His personal amp is a Super, I believe. However, when on tour, he just grabs back-line DRRIs for the most part. He borrowed a couple of students' DRRIs when he played here.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Looking at it, he seems to have about three amps... There are other videos on YouTube that have better views of the amps. Looks like a DR to his right and something else in front.

I've seen a recording or two where he used a *gasp!* Hot Rod Deluxe!

-Edmund Burke

Say it ain't so! You can get some pretty good sounds of them, it's a fairly basic Fender ©®™ clean sound. A bit bland for my taste but if anyone can make them sound good, it's him! And if they're rented then reliability isn't even a problem.

Yeah, as I mentioned, it's likely just back-line stuff.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Well, that's fair. You're definitely entitled to your opinion. Maybe it's that he is into the harmonic movement of his songs more than the voice of his guitar. I can see how Campilongo differs in that regard and why you'd prefer that.

For me it's the rich and complex jazz harmonies mixed with an Americana sound played on a Telecaster. You have to listed to an entire solo or song he plays, too, because he takes you literally on a trip and when he gets to where he's going, you know it. He always plays just the right amount and never too much.

His approach and sound is so unique, too. I love it when he does things like going from all trippy-loopy tunes and slides effortlessly into a heavy swing standard.

Musically, I'm into guys who can play all the notes, but choose not to. I love Campilongo, too, by the way. In a big way, harmonically, I think Frisell and Campilongo are really very similar.

I think so! His personal amp is a Super, I believe. However, when on tour, he just grabs back-line DRRIs for the most part. He borrowed a couple of students' DRRIs when he played here.
    Thanks NT, I think your comments are very interesting and I'll definitely listen again.

Perhaps what I find "difficult" is that to me most of his jazz harmonies sound just "experimental" for the sake of it, rather than being "complex and rich" and ultimately serving the melody.

I like Campilongo, Scofield and many others better instead, because their melodic sense is more immediate yet not "conventional", whilst still being exceptionally literate from an harmonic standpoint.

In terms of complexity of phrasing, well, I can accept guys like say Holdsworth, Vai, Gambale etc., who play "complex" lines because they can, mostly to display an amazing technique rather than an inspiring melodic taste, but I wouldn't list Frisell among these ubertechnicians.

Do we know which DVD this is from?

Forum Member

he makes me want to loop

What are his loopers?

Forum Member

The thing he steps on at :20 is a Line 6 DL4 Delay, rather than a dedicated looper. But it's got 14 seconds of loop memory, which is enough for how he's using it.

My Hardwire DL-8 has 20 seconds of loop time, but I thought it wasn't very useful since you can't fit 12 bars of blues into it unless you're really moving. But Frisell proves you can do great things with even less loop time than that if you're...you know...Bill Frisell.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by SabuJSE View Post
    Do we know which DVD this is from?
    This may be from The Guitar Artistry of Bill Frisell

Quote Originally Posted by KYChucky View Post
    What are his loopers?
    I think most of his pedals are Keeley-modded, but nothing exotic. It all seems to be off-the-shelf stuff.

-Edmund Burke

I have that one and I do not remember seeing this clip - I think it may be from "Solos"?

Forum Member

How can people play with those bid leather coats on? WTF? What's up with that?

Frisell and Elvis Costello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yekGS...eature=related

Frisell's solo at 1:15 is outstanding, IMO... rhythmic, harmonic, and melodic mastery.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by SabuJSE View Post
    I have that one and I do not remember seeing this clip - I think it may be from "Solos"?
    You may be right. I don't have either, so I can't confirm.

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocat View Post
    Frisell and Elvis Costello

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yekGS...eature=related

Frisell's solo at 1:15 is outstanding, IMO... rhythmic, harmonic, and melodic mastery.
    LOVE IT! Awesome! Now I WANT his Guitar! Wow that looks nice!

(The solo was great too!)
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

That's his MIM Thinline Tele that he plays most often now. He played that at the show I got to see here. He may put different necks on them or maybe he has them re-finished, but the guitar is tinkered with from what I've read.

-Edmund Burke