Thread: How are the Pickups on newer Hwy 1 Teles?

How are the Pickups on newer Hwy 1 Teles?

How are the pickups on the recent Hwy 1 Teles? I have a chance to pick up a used 2008 for $399, and while people say the guitar itself is nice I haven't heard any opinions on the pickups.

Re: How are the Pickups on newer Hwy 1 Teles?

No one has even tried them?

Forum Member

Hey...I like them! Lower impedance for clean sound. Not extreme twang but much cleaner than my LP at any volume. Someone with more experience should chime in. Overall, most posters don't like the pickups.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I know that it's easy to change if I don't like them, but it does increase the price of the guitar if I have to buy new pickups.

I didn't care for the Texas Highway 1 pickups. Very overwound in a way that didn't work for me.

Forum Member

I have the Texas Highway One and I love the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup is no good for me. Too overwound. The neck pickup is a keeper though.

Play the guitar through your favorite amp and see what you think Steve.

Forum Member

I have 2008 HWY 1 tele and try to play through a 5E3 - I love the way it sounds but have very little experience. I have owned a total of 3 electric guitars, 1 of them the Hwy 1 tele. I lowered the pick ups at first, hated it. Put them to spec and like it very much. The neck pu can do a nice jazz sound, focused rich mid range. I can get almost to the bridge pu sound with my American Deluxe Strat with S-1, if that gives you a clue, so I guess you could say its not that twangy. I have looked into changing them but they sound quite good, and I'm happy with the contrast between the 2 guitars I have. Others think they are dark and don't like the grease bucket tone wiring. You may want to read up on the grease bucket thing and how it works so if you don't like the sound you could go to standard tele tone wiring and try that for less money first. They are supposed to be more 'distortion friendly'. For 399 how can you loose? I think the guitar is worth that. - - I do wish the neck was ever so slightly wider. I dont wish for better pick ups.