Thread: 9/11

9/11

Well here we are 8 years later. Feels like it happened ten minutes ago AND 8 years ago at the same time, I dunno, Had nightmares last night about it (hence my lousy mood this morning), I was 16 when it happened and in high school, I remember, second period, Phys. Ed. A Kid named Kevin Santos told me (he was one of the few people to have a cell phone and found out, its weird I almost can't remember the time when NO ONE had a cellphone). It was chaos from there. Very surreal Lost some important people in my life (my best friends parents and 2 long time family friends) Changed my life (all of our lives for that matter). I dunno just had to talk about it. Rough morning.

Rest In Peace

RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Re: 9/11

Remember the Alamo
    Remember Pearl Harbor
    NEVER Forget 9/11

I'll never forget watching live when the first tower collapsed.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

TFF Stage Crew

We were at the friggin SeaTac airport getting ready to send two of our kids back east to visit their grandparents, literally IN LINE at the gate when a flight attendant stopped the boarding.
    Out of the plane come two pilots, white as sheets followed by a couple stewardesses w/tears streaming down their faces. I had to call my folks in VA on a pay phone in the terminal & was talking to my mom when the 2nd plane hit.

My wife and I were on our Harley somewhere around Las Cruces, NM when I turned on the radio and started hearing about a plane hitting one of the towers. At first I thought it was an Orson Welles-type radio program, but when the second plane hit I remember telling my wife "I think this is for real". By the time we got to El Paso the borders were closed and the military was stopping all vehicles (I assume this was due to the proximity to Ft. Bliss) to verify no terrorist was driving. That was the first (and only) time I was stopped and interrogated by people holding loaded M16 rifles...a very tense situation at the time.

Afterward I was in attendance for this, also something I will never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo

So far in my short life the best live performance I've ever seen. At least it meant the most for me.
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

8 years on and Bin Laden still breathes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

8 years on and almost 3,000 people who were in NYC then won't ever breathe again.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    8 years on and almost 3,000 people who were in NYC then won't ever breathe again.
    And that doesn't count the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.........Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    And that doesn't count the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.........Bill
    Military and civillian. Or the folks in DC.

It only takes a handful of folks to ruin the world for everybody.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I was at the Bus stop with my kids and I watched one of the Big Jets fly over my head and thought that was Wierd. When the bus came I went into the house with my younger daughter. We went into the living room and she watched the Rug Rats on TV. I was oblivious to it all.

Then my wife called. She's a RN and she was at work. Her Hospital was in a state of Panic thinking they where gonna get casualtys and nobody could go home. I forget what they called it but the building was in a lock down preparing for the worse

But Nobody came.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    Her Hospital was in a state of Panic thinking they where gonna get casualtys and nobody could go home. I forget what they called it but the building was in a lock down preparing for the worse

But Nobody came.
    The same was true of Mrs. Kap'n's place of employment.

However, not being a direct patient care provider, she was told to go home to essentially get out of the way. We went to a blood drive and were turned away as they weren't anticipating the swarms of people volunteering to donate.

I-95 was filled with convoys of military earth moving equipment going south.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

One of the things I remember most was that at our old house in CT - we used to have a big wide open view of the sky and every night when I took the dog out, I would count the planes - usually at least 6 or 7 lights in the sky at any given time.

After 9/11 there was nothing for quite some time which was eerie and a nightly reminder for me of what had happened.

Lots of things changed since then...

"Oh, Mister D.J.,
    I keep wondering why you don't play much blues anymore
    I don't know what you got against me
    Whatever it is, I sure would like to know"