Thread: Who does a great 3 color sunburst?

Who does a great 3 color sunburst?

Looking for someone to do a nice job on an alder Strat body at a fair price. Can anyone make a recommendation? I'm in southern California but anywhere in the US would be OK.

Forum Member

Re: Who does a great 3 color sunburst?

Lays Guitar Shop in Akron Ohio.

They did my 80 Les Paul standard. I just can't say enough about their work, and the prices are super reasonable.

http://www.laysguitar.com/

http://www.laysguitar.com/gallery.asp

Forum Member

Also, Rob Oliveira in Crowley, Texas is currently building a blackguard Tele clone for me. He did the paint work on my Texas Flag Strat (see my avatar). He has done a bunch of Fender-style work and is one of the best at finish jobs I know of.

Shoot me an email and I will hook you up with Rob.

TFF Stage Crew

I'd want to see pics first of an exanple if I were you. Many of those vintage Sunbursts had wide swaths of red & black that Fender can't even get right today!

I'm looking for a pretty uniform tranisition like on the early slab boards where there is not the huge band of red; not that seen on the later pre cbs models. Examples of painter's sunburst work would be great to see.

Forum Member

not a bad idea to ask each painter for examples ...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Whiskey View Post
    I'm looking for a pretty uniform tranisition like on the early slab boards where there is not the huge band of red; not that seen on the later pre cbs models. Examples of painter's sunburst work would be great to see.
    Wow, you don't want much. Here's the rub. The Early slab boards came in two flavors 58-59 with very bright red on yellowy "fullerplast" and the 60-62 fade-to-brown wide red swath. Those up 'til 62 when the red formula was "fixed" are now mostly faded to a very pleasing dark almost two-tone brown like mine:

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Wow, you don't want much. Here's the rub. The Early slab boards came in two flavors 58-59 with very bright red on yellowy "fullerplast" and the 60-62 fade-to-brown wide red swath. Those up 'til 62 when the red formula was "fixed" are now mostly faded to a very pleasing dark almost two-tone brown like mine:

Sweetest thing I've seen all week, Wilko!!!

Any chance that's actually mahogany under the finish?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Can you say alder?

7.5 pounds of pure Strat joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post

Yours is the look I'm after; not the distinct 3 tone burst with the wide red band. Looks killer BTW.

TFF Stage Crew

And here's what *I* like:

This was my first Pre-CBS Strat, a '61. Notice how wide the red band is; about the same width as the depressed area of the input jack. Also notice how far in the black goes. It is farther that the first screw of the jackplate.
    To me, this is typical of the 'bursts that Fender was spraying from '61 to about the middle of '64. After that the proportions changed.

Forum Member

This is depressing ( for me).

Ya know, I've got an MIM strat that I'm eventually going to build to be a stunt double for the one pictured. I'm going to try and match the finish color good as I can, even though I like the present color very much, the body shape is all wrong and will need to be reshaped to true vintage specs.

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...t=stunt+double

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    This is depressing ( for me).
    Me too! That '61 was the best dawg in the kennel, so to speak, even though it had been dinked with a bit. I saw it on a Japanese website a couple of years ago & just felt a little sick.

Wilko,
    I like the gradual blending of the tri colors and the colors follow the contours of the body on the later models like yours making it more pleasing. It's very nice.

Old Rockers never die; we just fade away!
    会長

TFF Stage Crew

Wilko's is actually an earlier model, being a '60. I had a '59 at one time & the red had actually faded to brown, giving it a "tobacco-burst" look; not the same as the two-tone Sunbursts from the '50s, but w/a more muted yellow & gradual transition to black. The black looked almost like a dark chocolate.

TFF Stage Crew

Here ya go- this is Sunburst is pretty typical of the period w/a strong yellow & red faded to brown. The yellow on Wilko's is probably more muted simply because it probably saw more daylight than this one had. This one was literally under a bed for most of it's life.
    My old '59:

The outer color on these first few three-color years is actually dark brown, and NOT black.

Here's one of the earliest with red. These stayed red, then were darak years 59-61, then back to really red from 62 onward.

TFF Stage Crew

That figures. It's always looked like an extremely dark brown to me; I just figured it was the effect of yellowed clearcoats.
    I go BONKERS over that red-orange 'burst color on every '58 I've seen. NEVER did they get that particular shade AGAIN.

The guitar in that picture (along with Joey Harris-the other player's gold 63-64 strat) are the two guys that influenced me the most to know that I needed to get a "real strat". I finally got mine in about 1986.

The color of that old sunburst is pretty cool. I didn't much care for the color of mine until later. Now that dark color like yours and mine is my favorite sunburst tone.

BTW, that is retopped prewar D-28 that sounds killer.