Thread: Soundproofing project

Soundproofing project

The Man-cave is very "live" and I get a lot of ambient noise when recording off of mics. I'm thinking of building some soundproof baffles to help. My plan is to build 4 - 6'X2' frames and hinge them so I can rearrange them as necessary (plus mount casters on the bottom). I'm going to back them with pegboard, followed by a thin layer of cork, then a layer of carpet padding, then some styrofoam insulation and topped off with some Auralex acoustic panels. I figure that way I'm absorbing various frequencies - although I'm thinking the styrofoam might just act as a reflective surface... When I start the project (when the wife goes back to work) I'll post phtots of my progress... any thoughts?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: Soundproofing project

my friend who is a recording engineer makes all his own baffles. i think he gets the plans online. maybe a google search will turn something up.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XhVuoNEe0

When I hear about sound proofing projects I always think of this clip.

there is a lot of science involved with room acoustics, the research I did concluded it costs a bunch.

I did my cave to keep the sound from leaving. Commercial foam back carpet works well. I ran 3 horizontal 1x4" across the studs, then hung drywall. I also put 4" fiberglass insulation anywhere I could. The heating ducts were a real challenge.. I ended up dampening them with dense foam and some other means.

1 and 1/2 walls are concrete, I hung carpet over them. somehow it ended up kinda dead in with all the sound absorption.

Trial and error with inexpensive materials
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

If you've got the real estate you can also build an isolation booth, that way you can go totally dead and still have the option to record the ambient reverberation if you want.

Styrofoam will be more reflective than absorbant...try talking into a piece of styrofoam, then a piece of carpet (make sure no one's watching first!) and listen for the reflected high end frequencies in your voice.

Also important is your listening environment. Reflected sound waves can mask or boost certain frequencies, resulting in a "dishonest" mix. Then when you play it back on your living room stereo or car stereo, it will sound very different, usually not in a good way.

Try a little absorption on the side walls and behind the monitors, and diffusion for mids behind you, and above your head.

Ask for this book for Christmas, I've learned a lot from it.

Here are some great resources:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/ (The Man!) Ethan rocks when it comes to no-nonsnse, practical advice as well as any super-techie questions.

His other site is:

http://www.realtraps.com/

Both sites have a HUGE archive of articles on designing a room and getting the most out of it.

And, surprisingly, he doesn't push his products, he gives out great advice with one goal -- great sound.

Forum Member

Check this guy out. Dave Moulton has been around for years. He developed the Golden Ears Program.
    http://www.moultonlabs.com/

This is from Auralex. A great handbook for setting up a studio. They push their products (of course) but the info is concise and well organized.
    http://www.acoustics101.com/

When we were kids we took about 1000 egg cartons and stapled every square inch onto the walls and ceiling of my friends basement It worked great! his old man could watch TV and it did not bother them at all

Must have been thick walls, egg cartons don't soundproof anything!