Thread: Chambering?

Forum Member

Chambering?

Im considering a build and would like to hear comments and opinions on chambering bodies. What is the good side, what it the bad side?

Im just beginning to take things into consideration and trying to develop a 'direction' to go in.

KYC

Re: Chambering?

I've got a Warmoth chambered body for my Strat. I can tell you that it's pretty darn light weight.

As for changes to tone??? I wouldn't say that I have enough information to truly evaluate that. The guitar sounds great but I've had solid bodied Strats that sounded great too.

So I'd say the one thing that is indisputable is that it weighs less.

Downsides? Can't think of one other than it being more expensive. I guess if you were going to put on a clear finish, you'd see the seem where the top was joined onto the chambered body.
    s'all goof.

weight distribution is a big issue with chambered bodies. because you're removing most of the material from the big end of the body, it puts the weight bias further forward than it would normally be with a solid body. what this means is that a chambered body weighing 4 1/2 lbs or less may not balance properly when you stand up and play it. if you have even stood up and played a neck-heavy SG you know what i'm saying.

my other concern is with the way the guitar sounds with a band. my experience tells me that semi-hollow guitars, especially real light ones, tend to have the most awesome sound when recorded or when played by themselves. but when i've tried to play them with a band, most times they seem like they don't present themselves as strongly in the context of the band. they seem to have a softer, smoother attack that can get buried by the bass and the cymbals.

when i build a chambered body, i always leave the section behind the bridge solid and in tact. i know Thinlines and Rics have that section hollowed out. leaving the wood there seems to help with the guitars balance and with the attack when played loud.

these are just a few things i've noticed. they're not all always true, but have been enough times for me that i tend to keep it in mind when building something.

Quote Originally Posted by Custom 5 View Post
    my experience tells me that semi-hollow guitars, especially real light ones, tend to have the most awesome sound when recorded or when played by themselves. but when i've tried to play them with a band, most times they seem like they don't present themselves as strongly in the context of the band. they seem to have a softer, smoother attack that can get buried by the bass and the cymbals.
    Horses for courses. Depends on the band, etc., but there's a whole lot of truth in that statement, especially in a rock context.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I'd concur with your assessment of the C/G issue, C5. My alder-bodied Strat 12-string definitely feels "nose-heavy" compared to the rest of my herd......just having that extra bit of lumber at the headstock and six additional tuners are enough to alter the balance. Dittos with my '62 Les Paul (less significant though, due to the location of the strap button on the heel of the neck).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

true that. when a body is chambered, a whole lot more material is removed from the big end of the body than the small end. when you take that much ballast from the heavy end, the see saw tips the other way!

Forum Member

I think the shift in weight would bother me. Plus when going into the unknown (my first build) I may have to be somewhat conservative and use combinations that 'work'. Right?

I think you'd have to kind of want that different resonance and bloom you'd get from a semi or a chambered body in the first place.
    It suits certain playing styles and situations, but not all.
    To get a chambered body without knowing you want it could be asking for trouble.

If you want light weight, but familiar performance, just find a lightweight body.

I don't know what Fender's Thinlines are like inside, but Warmoth makes Tele Thinline bodies that have a solid center and about half the area from the bridge to the strap button is hollowed.
    I know a guy who makes some very nice sounds with a mahogany Strat he built using a Warmoth chambered body, which is a very different concept. Kind of a honeycomb structure that sort of follows the body contours, rather than just being gutted.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

A friend of mine bought a no-name 12 string built on a 335 style body.

You had to hold up the neck. All the time. It sucked.

Rick 330/360s can seem like that at times.

I think the best-balanced 12-string I ever played was the original Fender "Electric XII", with runner-up to Gibson's Firebird XII.

Thankfully I only need the "jangle" on a few tunes......

My own experience with my chambered Strat is just a very light-weight, well-balanced instrument. It's never felt neck heavy.

I have a Tele-ish guitar that has a Warmoth Thinline body. I asked them to leave the wood behind the bridge so I could put on a Bigsby B5. That guitar feels light and well-balanced as well.
    s'all goof.

The Bigsby itself prolly helps out quite a bit as well, Curt.

Smart move to leave some "meat" for it behind the bridge.

i think the early SG's balanced well because of the Bigsby's but when you take it off, the guitar becomes neck heavy.

Forum Member

the thinlines and the honey comb bodies of Warmoth's is what got me thinking about it. -

I love my chambered mphagany Warmouth! Well balanced and sustain for weeks. The p90s make it howl too.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

i have a re-issue thinline and the body alone weighs almost 5 lbs. the guitar just barely balances right on a strap. all that wood missing from the big end of the body shifts the weight bias forward. the guitar sounds killer though. not too airy and plenty of bite.